X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thefa
    • Aug 2004

Sanyo PLV Z2 and max resolution

Hi,

I just purchased a PLV Z2 and I plan to use it connected to my computer (Dell Precision 350 with and ATI GL E1 graphic card).

I read in the Z2 manual that 1280*1024 is a possible input and when I connect the Z2 to my computer, the ATI software says that the max resolution is 1024*768...

There must be something wrong somewhere but I can't figure out where...

I was hoping to be able to input 1280*1024 in the Z2 and then ask it to display only the central horizontal part corresponding to 1280*720 but I start understanding that this is probably not the way it is supposed to work...

Also, in what case is the 1280*720 resolution going to be useful for me? Only HDTV?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

François
  • thefa
    • Aug 2004

One more thing - I'm using a digital output

Hi,

One more thing that might impact the case is that I'm using the digital output on the PC to connect the Z2. Reading the doc it seems that this might prevent me from accessing a higher resolution... Am I right ?

If yes, I'd be a bit disappointed since I purchased an expensive DVI cable thinking that there should only be advantages...

Thanks,

François

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

First thing we need to know is what you are trying to display. Movies, games, the windows desktop?

The 1280x1024 is probably only an acceptable input on the analog RGB inputs. Try hooking it up with your standard monitor out and your plan might work. I have a similar Sanyo PJ (although mine is WXGA - 1366x768 ), and I believe it also has this limitation on DVI.

1280x720 would also be useful if you had a scaled video source, like an upscaling DVD player or an outboard scaler. And as you mention, HDTV. This projector is targeted for HT use, meaning video, hence its non-PC standard resolution.

BB

Comment

• thefa
        • Aug 2004

Thanks for the feedback.

I am planning to display movies or pictures. Nothing else.

I have rechecked the manual and I see 3 things at least :
        • Page 38 (footnote) : this projector does not support more than 1280*720. If your computer's resolution is higher, set it to a lower value
        • Page 38 (above) : when original size of the image is bigger than 1280*720, the projector automatically uses digital zoom
        • Page 52 : There is table showing the supported input signals for digital FVI and there are 2 lines for SXGA (D-SXGA 2 and D-SXGA 3)

Reading the last note I believe I should be able to to input SXGA with the digital connection, no?

I can't check the VGA connection because the Z2 has only one DVI connector (analog and digital accepted). And I don't have the necessary cable... I was planning to use the DVI one and I have purchased an expensive DVI cable. I will keep trying using it:-)

Thanks again for your feedback.

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

I would be VERY very surprised if any computer video card newer than 10 years old had a maximum resolution of 1024 X 768, even in 32 bit color.

Most likely it is the default monitor information (.inf) file that you have selected that is limiting the resolution. and not the video card.

But I would suggest to set the actual output resolution to 1280 X 720p because that's the native resolution of the projector. The value of the combination of a computer input and a digital projector is that if the computer outputs the projector's native panel resolution then the projector's internal scaler is bypassed for that input. And you can get a pixel-to-pixel match from the image to the projector, which results in a visibly clearer picture for movies and computer display.

Something that might help if the internal card still doesn't support the native 1280 X 720p (with the right .inf file) than you can use a utility called Powerstrip. http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm which can setup custom resolutions and refresh rates.

-Dean.

Comment

• thefa
            • Aug 2004

Thanks for the info. You have just restored hope:-)

Yes, the video card does support 1280*1024. This is what I'm using my LCD screen.

Related to the .inf file, when I start the computer with the Sanyo connected to it, on the ATI configuration window, it shows SANYO Z2.
            Since I saw the name of the device I thought that the computer had found itself the right .inf file.
            But on that same config window the set of set of allowed resolutions shows the max one being 1024*768.

Where could I get an accurate .inf file?

I'll first try to solve the .inf file issue and then I'll try to force the resolution yo 1280*720.
            I read the graphic card manual and it is not mentionned that this resolution is supported.

One of the things stated in the graphic card manual is that BOTH outputs have to be the same resolution... I'm afraid that this is a restriction. I was hoping I would avoid having to change the resolution on the computer everytime I wanted to use the projector but reading this I'm not sure it will be possible with this graphic card. What do you thinK? Anyway way around this?

Thanks again for your help,

François

Comment

• thefa
              • Aug 2004

Dean,

Sorry for the previous questions on the *.inf file etc... I checked the tool you recommended and I managed to generate an INF file and to use it to kind of reload the driver. Now I can get 1280*720 to both the projector and the 18' LCD. That's one point solved. Thanks for your help.

I have not been able to convince the system to move down to 1280*720 though:-(

Since what I want to do is watch movies, I was wondering if the projector would be able to just forget about the higher and lower black stripes of the 1280*1024 and display only the 1280*720. This would be better than scalling and I thought that it was the purpose of the "cropping" feature? Am I right or do I miss something?

Also, I have noticed for the first time some horizontal green marks on the darkest parts of the movies' images. It is the first time I notice this. Any idea of what could be wrong with my setup?

Thanks again for your help,

François

Comment

• thefa
                • Aug 2004

Hi again,

After some struggle with my video card, I now have the setup U was looking for : dual screen and 1280*720 output on the DVI connector to the Z2.
                I got *heavily* helped by http://entechtaiwan.net. Thanks to Rik.

Now I am trying to get the colors about right on the projector and I'd be happy to know about conclusions that some of you might have reached on this...

The images look a bit darker and less bright and clear than when I see them on my 18' LCD screen... And I just can't manage to get a fine tune that looks good.

Comment

• krite
                  • Sep 2004

Hi everyone. I have the same setup, ati 9500 though, and a z2. Have forced the z2 to receive 1280x720p with different scan/refresh rates using pstrip.
                  I have a perfect windows-picture, total perfect mapping of pixels.
                  The problem is that each time I show a picture, or a movie, that is using a program that uses dx-overlays, I get blue flicker all over that overlay area.
                  This is probably my gfx, that has been proven to bug out from time to time. Have anyone else experienced this? Am I sure to get a perfect picture with
                  movies and other overlays if I buy another card?
                  Ideas, suggestions, experiences?

/Krite

Comment

• julienb
                    • Dec 2004

horizontal green marks on the darkest parts of the movies' images

Hi everybody !

I have the same problem than thefa : "horizontal green marks on the darkest parts of the movies' images"
                    I use a DVI cable & a resolution of 1280*1024 (same thing at 1280*720)

Could someone tell me how to fix it??

Thank you

JulienB

Comment

• thefa
                      • Aug 2004

@julienB : After all the tweaking I had to do to get my graphic card to dual output the way I wanted, I have not seen this problem of green lines any more.
                      Could very well be a sign of not exactly right configuration. I'd suggest you to try to output a 1280*720 resolution to your Sanyo. This is what it was designed for I believe and this is probably the config at which it will render the best.

Good luck.

Comment

• julienb
                        • Dec 2004

Hi Thefa !

I think about an incompatibility of my Geforce4..

I use a Shuttle SN41G2 (V2) which it included a Geforce4.
                        I added a DVI Card in AGP Slot.

My LCD screen is plugged into VGA1
                        My Sanyo is plugged into DVI card

NVIDIA => Dual Screen OK
                        I have to create a custom resolution (1280x720....) in order to send 720p signal to Sanyo.

In 720P, I have these green lines

I post others elements here:
                        - http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1874
                        - http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1873
                        - http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267

Do you use Powerstrip in your configuration ??

I should buy another "real" card, I think
                        Because DVI Card is seen by System as a DVI slot of my Geforce4 ...

I should buy a card with VGA + DVI slots but I'm not sure I'd succeed in confoguration

Comment

• thefa
                          • Aug 2004

Yes I used powerstrip for the configuration, but at some point in time, I removed it just to see what it would be like WITHOUT it and everything is fine, I have access to features I need from my graphic card and I don't seem to need powerstrip anymore : the settings which were unavailable before are now there and I can select them.

I don't understand all the bits and pieces but today my config is working and I am just not touching it anymore because I don't feel too confident that I could follow the same path again and get to the same result...

Good luck. When yu get there, the Z2 is great !

Comment

• julienb
                            • Dec 2004

ok
                            what is the "customized resolution" you are using ??

If I really understand, Powerstrip just permit to create (and apply) some customized resolution...
                            If you created a customized profile, it is stored in registry or file, and you can desinstall powerstrip.... the file, the keys in registry are staying there

Did you use these settings for your sanyo:

???

If I use DVI connection, I cannot reach the "adjust" menu (third) in SAnyo

Comment

• julienb
                              • Dec 2004

Hello !

I found a solution but not the whole of solution

look at this http://entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewt...hp?p=8025#8025

now, I control my resolution but "horizontal green marks on the darkest parts of the movies' images" are there on my wall

Thefa, what is your exactly resolution parameters
                              1280x720p (50Hz PAL)=1280,112,64,152,720,5,5,20,60300,2050 ???
                              I'm in France, in Europe (50Hz) but pages 52 (Sanyo's book) for D720p, I read: 45kHz (horiz) & 60Hz (verti)

Could you help me ?
                              I'm near of the target !!!
                              Last edited by julienb; 06 December 2004, 18:37 Monday.

Comment

• thefa
                                • Aug 2004

From what I read in the Monitor panl of my grphic card properties, I seem to be at 60 Hertz. There are no mentions of vertical and horizontal.
                                When I click on "List All Modes", the one which appears to be selected is
                                1280 by 720, True Color (32bit), 60 Hertz.

I don't remember having explicitly entered any specific config. My problem was mainly with the dual mode for the graphic card. Once Rick sorted this out (thanks again to him) I very quickly could get the thing to work ok. If I remember well I used more or less the default thing that the PC would want to do when detecting the Z2 at the end of the cable...

I am not sure if there is some kind of a read-only mode for power strip? If there is, I could re-install powerstrip and check the params if you think it could help.

One more thing : when I got the dual display okay, the right resolution okay, I had to test a view configs on the Z2 side to finally get it to work properly.

With all your questions and my incapability to understand, I realize that if I loose my current config on the PC, I'm back at level 0:-(

Comment

• julienb
                                  • Dec 2004

Hello Thefa (the guy which had the green lines like me )

I think that our config is stable !
                                  There is no problem in redoing it

As I wrote, parasites are visible in dark zone of my movies
                                  Now, it is my only problem
                                  This parasites aren't seen in photos, desktop etc etc ... only in Movies

(codec pb? I have a standard codec for wm9 movies, for divX etc etc)

800x600 => no problem !
                                  1024x768 => no problem !
                                  1280x720 => in movies, parasites in dark zone ; photo/desktop etc => no problem)

I'm going to be crazy ! ! ! !
                                  :M

See U!
                                  Last edited by julienb; 07 December 2004, 10:16 Tuesday. Reason: syntax error :(

Comment

• hwatkin
                                    • Dec 2004

thefa: could you post your PLV-Z2 .inf file that Pstrip generated? I cannot seem to get one to work for me. I have an Nvidia Gefroce 5700 ultra

Comment

• thefa
                                      • Aug 2004

okay, I'll do that tonite when back home.

Comment

• Kovalev_Serg
                                        • Dec 2004

thefa: could you post your PLV-Z2 .inf file for me too

Comment

• julienb
                                          • Dec 2004

HEllo !
                                          Everything works fine for me now !
                                          Green Lines of Darkest areas have disappeared !!!!!!!!!!!

I have :
                                          - Shuttle SN41G2 v2 (Nvidia Geforce4 included)
                                          - cv22 DVI Card on AGP Slot
                                          - XP Pro Sp2
                                          + Sanyo PLV Z2

Here is my pstrip.ini:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                          [Global Options]
                                          User=Shopping Guide
                                          Language=French
                                          Windows=5.1.2600.2.Service Pack 2
                                          Build=476
                                          ActiveHWStatus=1
                                          Mechanism32=2
                                          MirrorWarning=1
                                          DetectedID=01F010DE.00.00
                                          NV52C=00010101
                                          LastShutdown=0
                                          RestoreOnStartup=1
                                          Hotkeys=1
                                          AutoOSD=0
                                          CompactMemory=0
                                          QuickSetup=1
                                          uHloc=1,767,2,768
                                          TD=1,1,5
                                          NT.User=0
                                          ShowTipOfDay=0
                                          HintShown=476
                                          MMIO_FP=11000211,000007BB
                                          Threshold=20
                                          IconManagement=0
                                          RecallColor=0
                                          HKmodifier=0
                                          HardwareID=53686F7070696E67204775696465

[Driver]
                                          Key=\\Services\Pstrip
                                          KeyExists=0
                                          Start=0
                                          File=C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pstrip.sys
                                          FileFound=1
                                          FileSize=21616
                                          DisplayName=PSTRIP
                                          ImagePath=\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PSTRIP.S YS
                                          Type=1
                                          EnumKeyExists=1

[HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0300]
                                          MonitorNo=0
                                          Driver=nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.6693
                                          RefClk=0
                                          EDID=1
                                          EDID.Source=0
                                          CIE.Red.X=624
                                          CIE.Red.Y=348
                                          CIE.Green.X=297
                                          CIE.Green.Y=634
                                          CIE.Blue.X=143
                                          CIE.Blue.Y=133
                                          CIE.WhitePoint.X=322
                                          CIE.WhitePoint.Y=353
                                          MonitorID=API7602
                                          SerialNo=91200120
                                          MonitorType=Écran Plug-and-Play (Microsoft)
                                          MonitorCaps1=1600x1200 (75kHz/85Hz)
                                          DefaultClocks=-1,199125,0,17,0,0,0,0,0,0
                                          DefaultSettings=1024,768,32,60,0
                                          MaxDriverHRes=1920
                                          MaxDriverVRes=1080

[NVpll]
                                          199120.199125-spll=00013B04,00000000
                                          0.199125-spll=00013B04,00000000

[Display Profile]
                                          Display defaults=Display defaults

[Display defaults]
                                          HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0300=1024,768,32,60,0
                                          HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0301=1280,720,32,60,0

[Color Profile]
                                          Color defaults=Color defaults

[Color defaults]
                                          HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0300=0,0,0,0,0,0,50,50,50,20, 0,0
                                          HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0301=0,0,0,0,0,0,50,50,50,20, 0,0

[Performance Profile]
                                          Performance defaults=Performance defaults

[Performance defaults]
                                          HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0300=-1,199125,0,17,0,0,0,0,0,0
                                          HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0301=0,0,0,17,0,0,0,0,0,0

[DDC]
                                          MonitorID=API7602
                                          SerialNo.0=91200120
                                          SerialNo.1=16843009

[HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0301]
                                          MonitorNo=1
                                          Driver=nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.6693
                                          RefClk=0
                                          EDID=1
                                          EDID.Source=0
                                          CIE.Red.X=655
                                          CIE.Red.Y=317
                                          CIE.Green.X=328
                                          CIE.Green.Y=676
                                          CIE.Blue.X=154
                                          CIE.Blue.Y=61
                                          CIE.WhitePoint.X=307
                                          CIE.WhitePoint.Y=353
                                          MonitorID=SAN9B05
                                          SerialNo=16843009
                                          MonitorType=Écran Plug-and-Play (Microsoft)
                                          MonitorCaps1=1600x1200 (75kHz/85Hz)
                                          DefaultClocks=0,0,0,17,0,0,0,0,0,0
                                          DefaultSettings=1280,720,32,60,0
                                          MaxDriverHRes=1360
                                          MaxDriverVRes=864
                                          1280x720=1280,440,40,220,720,5,5,20,66825,10240

[Hotkey Definitions]
                                          24=115
                                          59=103
                                          78=105
                                          74=106
                                          31=110
                                          25=112

[ProcessColor]
                                          Default=0,0,0,0,0,0,50,50,50,20,0,0

[Custom Resolutions]
                                          1280x720=1280,440,40,220,720,5,5,20,66825,10240

[Modelines]
                                          1280x720="1280x720" 66,825 1280 1720 1760 1980 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

[Devices]
                                          FF=PCI00000,PCI00004,PCI00008,PCI0000C,PCI00010,PC I00014,PCI00018,PCI0001C,PCI00020,PCI00024,PCI0002 C,PCI00030,PCI00034,PCI0003C,CAP00010,CAP00011,CAP 00012,CAP00020,CAP00021,CAP00022,FUNC
                                          00=01F010DE,02B00007,030000A3,0000F800,E0000000,D8 000008,DC000008,00000000,00000000,00000000,F540129 7,00000000,00000060,01050110,00024401,00000000,000 00000,00200002,1F000217,1F000314,0300
                                          01=01E010DE,00B00006,060000A2,00800000,D0000008,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0000000 0,00000000,00000040,00000000,00206002,1F000214,000 00314,20010008,80880120,00000010,0000
                                          02=01EB10DE,00200000,050000A2,00800000,00000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000000,000000FF,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0001
                                          03=01EE10DE,00200000,050000A2,00800000,00000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000000,000000FF,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0002
                                          04=01ED10DE,00200000,050000A2,00800000,00000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0003
                                          05=01EC10DE,00200000,050000A2,00800000,00000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000000,000000FF,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0004
                                          06=01EF10DE,00200000,050000A2,00800000,00000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000000,000000FF,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0005
                                          07=006010DE,00B0000F,060100A4,00800000,00000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000048,00000000,01E10008,00880078,000 000A0,00000000,00000000,00000000,0008
                                          08=006410DE,00B00001,0C0500A2,00800000,0000E401,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,0103010B,C0020001,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0009
                                          09=006710DE,00B00007,0C0310A4,00800000,E4080000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,01030114,FE020001,00000000,000 00002,00000000,00000000,00000000,0010
                                          0A=006710DE,00B00007,0C0310A4,00800000,E4083000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,01030215,FE020001,00000000,000 00003,00000000,00000000,00000000,0011
                                          0B=006810DE,00B00006,0C0320A4,00800000,E4086000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,01030316,2080800A,00000000,000 00000,FE020001,00000000,00000000,0012
                                          0C=006610DE,00B00007,020000A1,00000000,E4087000,00 00D001,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,14010114,FE020001,00000100,000 00004,00000000,00000000,00000000,0020
                                          0D=006B10DE,00B00006,040100A2,00000000,E4000000,00 000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,0C010115,06020001,00000000,000 0050A,00000000,00000000,00000000,0028
                                          0E=006A10DE,00B00007,040100A1,00000000,0000D401,00 00D801,E4081000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,05020116,06020001,00000000,010 10106,00000000,00000000,00000000,0030
                                          0F=006C10DE,00A00107,060400A3,00010000,00000000,00 000000,20010100,228000F0,0000FFF0,0000FFF0,0000000 0,00000000,00000000,02060000,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,0040
                                          10=006510DE,00B00005,01018FA2,00000000,0000FFF9,00 00FFED,0000FFF1,0000FFE9,0000F001,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,01030116,00020001,00000000,000 00900,00000000,00000000,00000000,0048
                                          11=006E10DE,00B00007,0C0010A3,00000000,E4084000,E4 085000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00000000,F541129 7,00000000,00000044,01030115,FE020001,00008000,010 01413,00000000,00000000,00000000,0068
                                          12=01E810DE,02200107,060400A2,00012000,00000000,00 000000,20030300,222000F0,E1F0E000,DFF0D800,0000000 0,00000000,00000000,000A0000,00000000,00000000,000 00000,00000000,00000000,00000000,00F0

[Debug_HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0300]
                                          DeviceNo=0
                                          AdapterName=1. NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU *
                                          DeviceName=\\.\DISPLAY1
                                          DeviceID=PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01F0&SUBSYS_F5401297&REV _A3
                                          DisplayClassKey=SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\V IDEO\{21CA64F8-08AD-47B9-8CB7-CF1D9CC1FA00}\0000
                                          MonitorClassKey=SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\C LASS\{4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
                                          MonitorEnumKey=SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM\DISPL AY\API7602\5&1B6ED330&0&11335577&03&00
                                          ChipID=00
                                          PCIID=01F010DE
                                          SubID=F5401297
                                          FuncNo=0300

[Debug_HW.01F010DE.F5401297.0301]
                                          DeviceNo=1
                                          AdapterName=2. NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU-2
                                          DeviceName=\\.\DISPLAY2
                                          DeviceID=PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01F0&SUBSYS_F5401297&REV _A3
                                          DisplayClassKey=SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\V IDEO\{21CA64F8-08AD-47B9-8CB7-CF1D9CC1FA00}\0001
                                          MonitorClassKey=SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\C LASS\{4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003
                                          MonitorEnumKey=SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM\DISPL AY\SAN9B05\5&1B6ED330&0&11335587&03&00
                                          ChipID=0E
                                          PCIID=01F010DE
                                          SubID=F5401297
                                          FuncNo=0301

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In order to make lines to disappear, I play with Pixel Clock
                                          (read
                                          http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1881 => Thanks Rik!)

My Final post on this subject is here :
                                          Last edited by julienb; 09 December 2004, 12:01 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"