X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

Power conditioning to clean up front projector

I have an Infocus 5700 that I have plugged into an outlet in my attic and Im looking for a cost effective way to clean up some of the noise in the picture. Im sure the power is dirty since its plugged next to an A/C unit but that was my only alternative. Are there any budget minded single or double plugged line conditioners that I can use for this just for the safety's sake? I want to clean up the power but I dont want to have to pay for a big bad power conditioner just for one piece of equipment. Thanks in advance.
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

I saw this power cord by well respected (but very expensive) JPS Labs. Becomin a skeptic of late (probably too late), I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but if I get positive feedback from respected sources, I will. My projector, being on the ceiling across the room, is the only piece of HT equipment not on a dedicated circuit and shares the standard ciruit in my basement with a myriad of other things. Hopefully you get some good responses suggesting other cheaper and perhaps better alternatives.

THE VIDEO AC ™

The Video AC greatly reduces any inherent digital noise from joining the picture while providing greatly increased contrast and resolution by keeping all forms of AC noise away from todays highly complex video processors and displays. This allows for a noticeably more lifelike picture when used with video projectors, scalers, DVD players, High Definition (HDTV) receivers or monitors, flat plasma and LCD displays, or any other digital based quality video component which will accept a detachable AC cord. With todays high resolution video systems, this AC cord's tuned response is quite obvious and appreciated in bringing you that much closer to the most realistic picture one could hope for, with improved black levels and smoother transitions.
    Adz

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Have you tested to see that the AC is creating the noise? Does the picture quality change when the AC is running vs turned off?

If the running AC is dumping noise in the circuit then you can get small isolation transformers that will help. They aren't very expensive.

Here's a link to a retail outlet with very nice pricing
      Brigar Electronics

Changing out the power cord in and of itself will have no impact on AC line noise unless there are specific filters in the circuit (note these aren't the cable dielectric or shielding). Adding shielding to a power cord will help IF the cord itself is in an area where there is immediate exposure to RFI.

Reading the claims made on the JPS Labs website is just too much to be believed. Power cords in and of themselves can't do the things they claim. Save your money and buy balanced power devices or isolation transformers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• NHT
        • Mar 2004

Thomas....no there is no direct correlation between when the tv is on and the amount of noise. It is a very random occurance. There is sometimes a very faint white line traveling very slowly from the bottom to the top of the screen continuosly in series. I havent a clue what might be causing it so my only guess would be that it is dirty power up in the attic next to the AC. It is very distracting while watching a movie.

Does the Brigar Electronics power condtioner do the same job as more expensive multi stage power conditioners like Monster and Panamax? I am really on a budget and would really like to save money instead of having to pay for those high dollar power conditioners just to clean up my projector.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The Brigar is an isolation transformer. I have no idea if it will solve your problem, since you haven't identified the problem is specific to the AC power.

From your description it could also be the projector itself, or something goofy with the DVD player.

Does the same thing happen when the projector is being fed with another source?

Does the same thing happen when the DVD player is feeding another device?

Does it happen with every DVD or just certain ones?

Does it happen with other sources, cable, satellite, OTA, etc?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• NHT
            • Mar 2004

To answer your questions for further assistance:

-Does the same thing happen when the projector is being fed with another source?
            Yes it happens with dvd and digital. But again, only randomly.

-Does the same thing happen when the DVD player is feeding another device?
            I only use the Denon 2900 and Digital cable box with component switching going into Rotel 1055.

-Does it happen with every DVD or just certain ones?
            It happens randomly with dvds or cable

-Does it happen with other sources, cable, satellite, OTA, etc?
            i only watch digital cable and dvd.

Thanks again.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Process of elimination says it's probably the projector.

Can you move it to a completely different circuit somewhere else in the house, and see if the problem occurs there?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"