X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cheap way to power an amp on/off

I have two power amps one has a built in power off and on toggle that my pre amp controls but my Class A Musical Fidelity amp does not. Given the Class A design this amp is sucking a lot of current from the wall and I wished I had a way to turn it on and off without resorting to an X10 switch or some expensive solution from Adcom or Parasound. As it turns out Craftsmen makes a "power bar" that does exactly what I want. Its the Craftsmen Auto Switch (item number 00924031000 at http://www.sears.com that can be found at Sears for $20 USD ($34.99 cdn) I found out about this little wonder recently and curiosity got the better of me and I just returned from Sears with one of these devices and it does in fact work! All you need to do is plug your receiver/pre amp into the top outlet and turn the switch to on and any device plugged into either of the two bottom plugs will turn on when the receiver/pre amp turn on. Also my TA-E9000ES pre amp supports discrete on.off codes as such when I turn it "off" its done via the remote and its essentially goes into stand by mode not a physically power off. The good news is that it still manages to trigger the device to power on and off the amp. I currently am in the middle of packing to move into our new house so I don't have my gear set up to do any serious listening to see if I hear any sonic degredation with it or not but when it switched on or off its a fairly loud click which sounds like its a decent connection (not as loud as an X10 switch though) Anyway for the price its a fantastic buy. I should also note that although this unit looks like it has dual plugs on the back it only has one which means you can plug it into the bottom plug and still leave the top plug on your wall outlet free for another power cord or power bar etc.

• Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Pretty cool Andrew. Never seen one of those.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It will be very handy for those of us with amps that don't have triggers or people with DSS systems that don't respond to discrete codes. For that matter I know of at least a few devices that don't even have power toggles (Sony single disc SACD player comes to mind) that his could be useful for....esp for the price

Comment

• Robbie
        • Aug 2000

WOW,

My prayers have been answered. Actually I've seen something similar to this but it was pretty expensive.

Thanks Andrew

Robbie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Glad I could help Robbie I was also looking for something like this as well and the only things I found were $$$ else I was looking at builing a relay switch to do it for me...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"