X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

Need advice on a purchase

My brother in law is looking for a 42" Plasma on a budget any recommendations.
    My Car Audio
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If he's on a budget, tell him to look at different options from Plasma. IMO, only the more expensive plasmas offer anything like decent picture quality, resolution, black levels etc. He could get a very nice, much bigger front projection setup for the same or less money. DLP RPTV's or heck even good old CRT RPTV's! For the price of even a budget plasma he could get a pretty damn nice, top of the line CRT based RPTV that would trounce all over anything else in PQ.

Just my $.02

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Plasma on a budget usually means SD resolution- 480P max native.

I've viewed a number of these units, as well as the higher def units. Truthfully, I find I prefer some of the larger LCD units over the more moderate price plasma units, as they seem to have better contrast and image fidelity, especially on darker scenes, plus higher res (1280X720).

YMMV.

The lowest prices I've seen on Plasma's are at CostCo, so if size and price are the main considerations, try there.

For higher display quality, one LCD unit to check out is the Tsohiba 32HL84 32 Inch.

Plasma's bug me because of their very visible pixel structure and the dithering visible in low light areas. Many of them also have peformance issues with the scaling circuitry that takes the various input signals and scales to the panel resolution. LCD's can have problems with scaling also. The Toshiba LCD TV's I've seen have less artifacts and nicer display quality than many of the other panel displays I've seen. But maybe I'm picky...

Let your eyes be your guide. But try both HD, DVD, and NTSC or PAL soruces.

Happy Hunting!

Regards,

Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• eddiem67
        • Jun 2004

Thanks guys...I'll let him know, so my next question is if he went the DLP way, what model is good.

On a side note, I have an older toshiba TW65G80 and was wondering has much changed on this set, should I be looking for a better one x93 series now, I cant go FPTV due to windows along one side of the room.
        My Car Audio

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

DLP might be a good fit for you as they offer quite high light output to help compete with those windows.

Samsung has been at it the longest and makes some nice sets. Panasonic and Toshiba are realtively new at DLP but they tend to make relatively high quality sets with numerous technologies. RCA and LG/Zenith tend to make decent displays for the money and generally feature packed. Sim2 makes VERY high-end DLP RPTV's that are $$$ but very :drool:

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

A good link for DLP info:

digiupdate.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, digiupdate.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Inexpensive Plasma?

The Panasonic professional series is perfect. The absolute best blacks I've ever seen from a Plasma. No issues that I could see. It's just around $2,500 for 42" and EDTV. Here is a link:

$2,350 + shipping. At the smaller size and at a reasonable distance back(8 feet to 10 feet), then you shouldn't worry about HDTV resolution on it.

Here is a link to a guy's screenshots on his Panny:

I don't really see the problems that Jon Marsh is noticing. My problem was cost vs size. I wanted a big screen and 42" wasn't goign to cut the mustard and the 50" Plasmas are $5k.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"