X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rofuller
    • Jul 2004

Hitachi 57s500 goes blank!

Hi. I took delivery of the Hitachi 57s500 TV in May 2004. It's worked just fine until last week (we're talking July): After about 20-30 minutes of playing a DVD, the screen just goes blank, no picture, no sound, but the power indicator light remains on, so it is still getting power. The DVD player contiues to play and the time counter shows the disk is still playing. The TV will not display any menus at all when it goes in to this mode. After it is turned off for about half an hour, it will operate again, but then shuts down again. My son had the same experience playing his X box thru the front inputs. Anyone have any ideas? Hitachi says they have not heard of this problem before. I've checked power plugs, all seem to be OK. Anyone have an idea? Thanks for your help.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Sounds like a case of "that's what warranty's are for". Get them to send out a tech to try to find the problem or replace the unit.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• rofuller
      • Jul 2004

I contacted Hitachi and they have a local repair place they will contract out to look at it. What makes me nervous (and why I'm trying to find an alternative solution) is that they want to pick the unit up and take it to their shop. It weighs about 275 lbs. and took three people to move it in (and that's when it was crated securely). I'm concerned it will get damaged; I had hoped Hitachi would authorize an "in-home" repair visit. This weekend I'm gonna try another DVD player and put it thru the "video 4" input rather than the "video 3" the current player is running thru. Don't know why this would make a difference but I suppose it's worth a try! Thanks again...

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well if it gets damaged, they'll have to replace it! :lol:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• rofuller
          • Jul 2004

Still waiting!

Well, here we are two weeks from contacting Hitachi about repairing the 57S500, and still no response from their local repair service. I've called several times; there seems to be one reason or another they just can't get to it. I'm not impressed with the customer service. If anyone has heard of this problem (video and sound go out after about 10-15 minutes of play time) please advise. Maybe I can motivate the repair service if I do some of the leg work. Thanks!

Comment

• Sithlord
            • Aug 2004

Hitachi screen shutoff

I too own this tv and it has done that quite a few times in the 4 months of owning it. After calling Hitachi they refered me to my local Hitachi repair place and I had a talk to the tech and they have not heard of this happening before. They did mention that if the unit gets too hot it will shut off but it would have to be damm hot for that to happen he said. It is so random that I wont be worrying about it anymore and it doesn't happen that often, but in saying that it's still annoying when it does happen. The tv does have an auto shut off and I have that disabled just to be sure but if it's getting a signal then it should stay on you would think. I guess it's just one of those things that can't be fixed without more people complaining about it then they should address it more seriously. Just try and keep a record of just how often it does happen and if it's doing it too much for your liking then I would request a replacement. I know it's a pain as the TV is huge and a bugger to fit through most doors but it will be the only way for you to be truly happy.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"