Does a front projector hold up to a plasma?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nezz621
    • Dec 2006

Does a front projector hold up to a plasma?

My folks have a 50' Pioneer 720p plasma at home. its a great looking picture ( we thought it was only outdone by the elite series). Now its my turn for an hd, and i've been looking into front projectors since for the moment i have a room with great light control.

This'll be used fo movies and games (ps3 and such) so i want to know if i'll be as happy with the picture quality vs the plasma my folks have at home. Keep in mind i know im getting a much bigger picture, but quality wise... does it compare?

and my price range for the front projector is around 1500...ish

thanks again
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

My parents also have a 50" plasma, a Samsung. I think my FPTV has a better picture. It has better "depth" to the picture and you can't argue with the size. I'm not that big on plasmas though to begin with and prefer LCDs.

I have a Sanyo Z4 which can now be purchased for $1200 or so. It's been replaced essentially by a Z5 at $1600.
    Danish

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

Plasma displays have improved greatly in the last 5 years, and they have dropped in price as well. But if you have room light control and enjoy movie watching on the BIG screen, then a good front projector can look fantastic!

It is of course debatable, but I believe that both the resolution and picture quality is comparable.

I have a 37" LCD display and a DLP FPTV. Sanyo, Mitsubishi, and Panasonic all have excellent 720P FPTVs from between $1000 and $1500-ish.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well for me bigger has always been better, even when picture quality on front projectors left something to be desired. But todays projectors are nothing short of fantastic and I can't think of a better way to watch a movie.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• nezz621
          • Dec 2006

sounds good to me!

I'm workin on redoing my basement... once thats done i can start on the room specs for the projector.

thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"