X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckaroo
    • Apr 2004

screen paint

Hey Guy's, the old chuckster back here with you after a brief pause.
    My Z2 should be on the way but before I buy a screen (big bucks) I'd like to experiment with the paint and (or) a bed sheet. Would like to size up everything.
    A few threads back (which I cannot find) I think Bam was referring to a misty morning grey, misty evening grey or medium misty grey, just don't remember, maybe you can help me out (as you always do).

Thanks a lot :roll:
    Chuckster
  • marco10
    • May 2004

Hey Chuckaroo, check out these links. I think you will find them very useful in deciding which way to go. http://www.goosystems.com/, https://www.diytheatre.com/default.htm. Hope this helps.

marco10
    :righton:

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Hey Chuck a rooney!

Nice to see ya back!

Here's the recipe for paint!

Thanks to ANdrew Pratt!

Ok Guys here's what I did. Its based on the DDog paint mix that was all the rage on AVS...

1. Paint the screen with a pure white paint.

2. Paint the screen with a top coat of the following mix.

50% Behr Silver Metalic - available at home depot in the Behr faux pain section.
      40% Glaze
      10% Behr pure white

As for tips what worked for me was to keep working a wet edge. By that I mean you don't need to apply a lot of paint with each pass so roll out the paint on your tray before applying it to the screen then keep rolling over the area you left off on and slowly work your way around the screen so that you are keeping a wet edge...doing that should allow you to avoid roller marks. Other then that take your time and it'll take a few coats to get a nice even finish. Basically painting pure silver is a pain in the arshe but adding the white really helps to make it easier. Spraying is likely best but it can be done with a roller if you take your time and the results are amazing. As I said the only screen sample I have that I think beats my DDog screen enough to consider buying is firehawk and unless I win the lottery that isn't going to happen

Also if you needeed more from that thread!

I scream you scream we all scream for a nice scream!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks Bam! you save me some typing I still really really like my screen and having seen a Z2 in action on a HCCV screen I'd say my lowly Z1 has better black levels even though it shouldn't which to me points to my screen doing a better job of boosting black levels then what HCCV does. The DDog paint mix isn't the easiest to apply so I'd advise you to experiment a little on some scrap black out cloth first.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

FWIW... I have been extremely happy with my 2HD projected onto the sheetrock painted Misty Evening Gray. There was a lot of rage at AVS about this color as well. If you read through all those threads there are those that prefer one or the other for various reasons. It seems like there is several different versions of the DDog mix though. I used Kilz 2 for my primer with 2 coats and then 3 coats of ME while light sanding between each coat. I don't know how it could get much better but then I haven't tried anything else either.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Misty Evening would likely be easier to paint as well so its likely worth trying as an alternative

Comment

• chuckaroo
              • Apr 2004

Z2 Screen

Thanks again as always guys.
              Looks like MEG it is for the screen. Anybody ever try a new "bed sheet"? Just thought I'd throw that out to get some feedback.
              Got to get back to sanding that wall smooth.
              Would appreciate some get back on the bed sheet, also if one was to go this way should the wall be flat black behind the sheet?
              \
              Thanks a heap folks
              Chuckster

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

For the price you'll pay for a high thread count bed sheet you'd be better off buying the black out cloth.

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by chuckaroo
                  Would appreciate some get back on the bed sheet, also if one was to go this way should the wall be flat black behind the sheet?
                  THe answer to that is definitely yes. Otherwise, some light goes through the sheet, reflects off the wall and comes back through the sheet to wash out your image. Bad.

BB

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chuckaroo
                    Thanks again as always guys.
                    Looks like MEG it is for the screen. Anybody ever try a new "bed sheet"? Just thought I'd throw that out to get some feedback.
                    Got to get back to sanding that wall smooth.
                    \
                    Thanks a heap folks
                    I`d go with a used one.....it`ll be grey....hence better blacks : :lol:

edit...I am sort of jokin`.... : :rofl:
                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• chuckaroo
                      • Apr 2004

screen material

Many thanks Andrew.
                      When you use the term "Black out cloth" I have not heard of that before.
                      What is black out cloth Appreciate the info. Many thanks.
                      Chuckster

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

If you go into any fabric store they'll carry blackout cloth...its used (outside of the DIY world) to block light coming in through curtians. Its got a rubbery side which should be a very light cream to white colour...pick the whitest they have as this is the side most of us project onto...though if you paint it it won't matter too much.

Comment

• max012200
                          • Sep 2004

Paint

Hello, I'm new to this. I am having my basement finished and putting in a front projection system. One question so far - I am having the walls painted the Misty Evening Gray color so I can have the ability to project on a wall, what type of sheen should the paint have: flat, eggshell or semi-gloss? I haven't seen anybody mention this yet. Thanks.

Comment

• Paul H
                            • Feb 2004

The best sheen is no sheen - flat.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"