X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malcky
    • Jun 2004

just ordered z2, need cable opinions.

hi folks, just ordered the z2 and would like to know if there is a big differance in performance using DVI over component, big enough to justify buying a new dvd player that has DVI on it.

This is my 1st pj and have never used component or DVI connections either, although my Sony DVP-NS930VB (which i have only had for a few months and am very happy with it) has got component outputs on it and can output progressive scan in pal and ntsc.

what cables do folks recommend for runs of about 10 meters or there abouts?

p.s I am in the UK and cant find any dvd players with dvi outputs but there is loads in the U.S even as cheap as $200, zenith & bravo D1 for example. I have never heard of these 2 brands so could be a lot of crap for all i know, but would like you opinions.

cheers.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

With good grade of 75 ohm coax, component video can be run for 20 ft and more without any issues. DVI cables are a bit more delicate, and it's harder to find ones that will "go the distance". And with DVI, if it messes up, things tend to go seriously south (digital being something of an all or nothing proposition), whereas on an analog connection you may have some slight but relatively graceful degradation if you cable isn't totally up to snuff.

It's pretty easy to DIY good component cables, but definitely not DVI.

The less expensive DVD players with DVI can be a bit dodgy at times, but I have a Zenith DVB318, and am quite pleased with it. Zenith was an old established brand in the US for decades, that saw better days and was bought up by LG about 5 years ago, primarily for a few of their higher end products and research in HDTV tuners and transmission, as well as the US brand name recognition.

I use the component connection myself into a transcoder, then into my NEC CRT projector.

The simplest thing for you to get started might be to use your original Sony player. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could buy cable and connectors and build your own cables- 10 meters is a bit longer run than you usually find in the stores even over here, where things tend to be a bit outscale in some states (like Texas, for example. I've made some pretty nice component cables using some RCA connectors form MCM ELectroncis with teflon insulation which seem to be the same type sold by DH labs here in the US (probably sourced from the same mfr), and some 75 ohm OFC coax. Another popular source over here is Canare. I'm not familiar with what you might find easy to get in the UK, as the last time I was there I was more interested in the aircraft museum at Hendon then figuring out what I could buy locally in HT gear...

Regards,

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Or Jon, he could buy cables for a reasonable price from our forum sponsor, my company CATCables that does ship internationally, get cables that are professinally made, avoid purchasing necessary tools, vices, materials, learning curve, time etc... While I realize your passion for DIY everything, not everyone wants to DIY cables, and at htguide forum, most of the moderators do tend to recommend CAT.

Doug
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Sorry about that Lex,

I didn't realize you shipped internationally.

Regards,

Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I'd vote for some nice component cables from Cat. Save your DVI input for true HD resolutions from either a STB (cable, OTA or sattelite) or HD/BlueRay DVD when they become available. Or if you've got the money, a nice scaler that will scale everything, and possibly let you switch multiple DVI sources and output one video feed to your FP.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Preacherman
            • Jan 2004

I went with a 40 foot run of the Cat Cables, The Lioness,

(Component and s-video together) and could not be happier :T . No degradation with a beautiful picture on my Z2.

Cat Cables
            Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"