X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ti33er
    • Apr 2004

Infocus 4805

Hi! Does anybody know where one can purchase an Infocus Screenplay 4805 in the UK? Many thanks!
    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"
  • ti33er
    • Apr 2004

Infocus 4805 vs Sanyo PLV-Z2 ?

Hi again! ...does anybody have any comments on "Infocus 4805" vs "Sanyo PLV-Z2" ?

I am a newbie to Projectors and am looking to use one for HT predominantly - I have read up about Screen-door and Rainbow effects etc. so have an idea of what to beware of, however the thing that bugs me most to be honest, is pixelation and motion trails on a screen! ...would anybody know which of these projectors would be the lesser of two evils? ...I am not too concerned about the price at this level, simply the performance...

Many thanks for any tips

Cheers :T

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

...come on gents (or ladies!) ...anyone

Comment

• marco10
        • May 2004

My experience with the Z2

Hello ti33er. I haven't seen the Infocus 4805 in action but I do own a Z2 and let me just say that Sanyo has produced a very nice machine! I am projecting on a 106" diagonal high contrast grey screen and there is no pixelation what so ever at 14 feet. There is no SDE (screen door effect) and at 480p input this unit really shines. I have not yet seen any vertical banding as some might proclaim, colors are awsome and contrast levels are right behind DLP projectors but obviously not as good. Setup is a breeze with the lense shift. If you need to position your projector anywhere off center either vertically or horizontally from the screen then get this projector! High Definition images are just breathtaking. Images with my Samsung HD931 at 1080i through DVI are better than progressive scan DVD players at 480p. According to the 4805 specs, the Z2 outperforms it in everything but the contrast. I don't know about rainbows, from what I know it affects some people and for others it does not, you will have to sit down and watch to see if you see any. I would highly suggest you get the Z2 over the 4805. Hope this helps.
        :righton:

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

Thanks for that Marco10! ...May I ask how you find fast moving scenes on your Z2 though i.e. LCD's are apparently notorious for "Motion Trails" (blurring where there is movement), whereas DLP's are less prone? - I am just trying to get as much info as possible before I take the plunge!

PS. I popped into my local HiFi dealer this afternoon, and he blashemed Sanyo over Infocus, but he confessed mainly because the mark-up-on-sale on Sanyo is a pittance for his pocket (but does this mean that you are getting more for your money with Sanyo, or are Sayno simply overpriced imports to the UK I wonder!! ?) :E

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

The Infocus 4805 is still relatively new so you likely won't get much information from websites like this. But I haven't read much in a negative way about any Infocus dlp projector. The blurred motion effect is indeed visible on dlp, but I have never found it bothersome. If you don't look for it, you don't see it.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

Ti33er!

I have an X1...it rules

Would I spend extra on a 4805...No.for the money the X1 is unbeatable.

If I upped the budget....Z2 would be choice for sure....not the screenplay. I have seen both.

Just my 2 cents.
              Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ti33er
                • Apr 2004

Hey Bam! ..did you mean that you have actually seen the 4805, or simply the other Infocus models that are kicking about?

If you have seen the 4805, is the hype (in your opinion) all it is cracked up to be, regardless of the increase in price? i.e. how would you compare the X1 - 4800 - 4805 - 5700, if you have seen these guys in action? ......the only Model that I havent seen is the 4805, and IMO I thought that the 5700 was only a little bit better (less pixelated) than the 4800 as far as picture quality is concerned? ...it could be a while before the 4805 is released here in London, and I am a little impatient, but also don't want to be furious that I was impatient should the 4805 turn out to be a better unit! :M :W

Comment

• marco10
                  • May 2004

Motion Trails? What are those??

I don't even know what motion trails are, mainly because I have never seen anything like that on my Z2. Even action packed movies look great on this unit. I don't know how much the Z2 is in the UK but here in Canada they are priced between $2500 to $3000. I got mine for $2600 CAD, that's about $1880 US. FYI .... I would have to pay double or even more than what I paid to get a projector that is just a little better than the Z2, that's how good the value on this purchase is. I do hope you find a Z2 in the UK that's reasonably priced. It would be a shame if you missed out on this machines power.

Comment

• ti33er
                    • Apr 2004

Thanks Marco10! ...the Z2 is probably even a little bit cheaper here in the UK - I have seen it for just over £1000 on some websites!

...Motion Trails are ghost like, or blurred lines that trail an object when it moves across a screen - you see this typically when you play 1st person shoot-em-up games on Computers, on LCD/TFT screens with slow crystal refresh rates (like 25+ms Crystal Refresh) - this generally gets you dizzy, and penultimately fragged (killed) when opponent players are not handicapped by this disadvantage!

This old link to Tom's Hardware more or less goes over this issue, he discusses some of the original LCD Computer screens that were on the market - <http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/index.html> :

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Ti33er!

O.K. :

X1 = Screenplay 4800.....difference...Component out already installed....they claim the firmware is different....not true we have downloaded it...tried and and left it on...none. Lastly it is sold by Hi Fi shops instead of Staples or Future shop...so yes they change the ID and add a few retailing $$$ for them.

5700....Now that's pretty nice.....8 * nicer than the X1....no. but it is nicer...

As for the 4805 which is the replacement of the 4800....what's the big deal ?

Hope this helps buddy!
                      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Adz
                        • Jan 2004

4805 versus the Z2

I pulled this off the AVS Forum from a recent shootout that a dealer had.

SCREENPLAY 4805 VS THE STUDIO EXPERIENCE 2HD (SANYO Z2 CLONE)

Since so many people wanted to see these two head to head, we spent some extended time with the two pieces right after the 4805 solo presentation.

First, high definition. On brighter scenes, the 2HD clearly had more detail than the 4805, just like we experienced with the 4805 vs the HD DLP units. The 2HD did have quite a few more picture artifacts, however – vertical banding was pretty obvious on brighter scenes, and there was stairstepping and jagged edges on any smooth edged object that moved in a diagonal fashion across the screen (this was very obvious on the speedboat footage coming from the DVHS deck). In terms of contrast and smoothness, the 4805 was a clear winner – the image looked much more 3-D and had a pop that the 2HD lacked.

In defense of the 2HD – on HD material, the 2HD had a “hyper-sharp” quality that was appealing, sometimes even appearing sharper than the HD2 DLPs. I attribute this to the more visible pixel grid on the LCD projector, which gave everything a hard edge that some might find preferable to the smoother look of the DLP.

On DVD, both pieces looked fairly comparable on brightly lit scenes. We used SPIDERMAN for this comparison, as it has plenty of bright and dark scenes to evaluate. When we went to the scene where Peter Parker finds his uncle lying in the street after being shot by the carjacker, the 2HD looked much murkier than the 4805. In fact, this is where the most dramatic differences between the two projectors became clear. Everything on the 2HD in this sequence became a dark blueish grey murk, with very little definition between the background and foreground elements. The 4805, on the other hand, rendered the scene with far greater contrast and more vivid colors. As I mentioned before, the image was much more three dimensional looking on the 4805.

I have mentioned in previous posts that the Z2 and other LCD projectors do much better on this type of material with DVI than with component, so we took SPIDERMAN out of the Pioneer DVD player it was in and placed it into the Bravo D-2 (graciously lent to us by the previous day’s Bravo D-2 winner). With DVI, the 2HD looked considerably better, mostly in the area of sharpness. The foreground and background elements were now considerably more distinct, but still did not even approach the color and contrast performance of the 4805.

I would say that there was no one at the shootout who preferred the image of the 2HD to that of the 4805, except possibly for brightly lit HD material. If there was someone there who preferred the 2HD, it is likely that they might have been afraid to speak up, since there was such a large vocal group of LCD bashers in the front row. Still, I don’t think many of those present were necessarily DLP proponents until after they had seen the side by side comparisons.

One last note about “screen door” effect. As Brad pointed out, the term screen door is more applicable to LCD projectors, since even the higher resolution LCD projectors have the more pronounced pixel grid that gives you the “screen door effect.”. Lower resolution DLP projectors have less of a problem with visible pixel grid than they do with visible pixels, since the grid itself is considerably less visible. In comparing the 4805 with the 2HD, the visible pixels became invisible on the 4805 at about the same distance the pixel grid became invisible on the 2HD.
                        Adz

Comment

• ti33er
                          • Apr 2004

The answer I was looking for!

ADZ, that was brilliant! Thanks!! ...I think if what you say is true, without a doubt it will be the Infocus (and I do not doubt your comments for a moment either!) :T

Comment

• Adz
                            • Jan 2004

Thanks ti, but to clarify these are not my views. This is a cut and paste from a thread on the AVS Forum. I just thought it would interesting to some on this forum as both brands are popular on here. Good Luck!
                            Adz

Comment

• ti33er
                              • Apr 2004

Thanks Adz! - I realised that after I had posted (got too excited reading your post), but thanks anyway - which other forum did you get this info from if I may ask (not to be Sacrilegious to this one, but just for more info )

Comment

• ti33er
                                • Apr 2004

Good News!

My local Dealer reckons that he will have the Infocus 4805 pretty soon..................I wait with bated breath! LOL...actually I have already developed nervous twitches! :W

...ok, enough talk like that, but now that I have done plenty of research into Projectors, I have neglected the research on screens, and from reading around and searching manufacturers sites, find the screen issue more than a little confusing...soooooo what to get? - FYI I can't splash out much more at the moment so I need something cheap (and unfortunately it must also be free-standing) about 2m or 6ft wide...do you get such screens, kind of like what you would get at school in the classroom on a tri-pod?...or are these a real no-no for HT?

Comment

• marco10
                                  • May 2004

ti33er, check out my setup. As I mentioned before on another thread, I got this beautiful 106" diagonal, pull down, high contrast grey screen from Da-Lite for $200CAD! Can you believe that? Actually the vendor that I got it from gave me an amazing deal, I don't know why but the picture with my Z2 is awsome. Just thought I'd share that with you.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• ti33er
                                    • Apr 2004

That's excellent! ...but can I get that in the UK? (model/make?) - and can one stand-mount that somehow? ...someone at my work said that they had seen a screen whereby it lays on the floor, and one simply extends it upwards and secures it vertically with a tentpole / hook or something like that? 8)

PS. I need to stand-mount because the screen will be in a bay window type area of the room!

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                      • May 2004

not sure what u can find in the UK, but Stewart makes something like that which can be had for less than $500 US. If the budget is a little tight after the 4805 you can even project the image on a bare white wall for the moment til you have the funds for a real screen. As for the tripod option, I've thought of going that way also but I was talked out of it by people with daily experiences with them. It just becomes a pain in the rear having to take them down and put them back up every time you use it. The pull-down option has the best of both worlds. I too want to see the 4805 in action, let me know when you see it in person.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"