X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhauseur
    • Dec 2004

InFocus 4805 set-up questions, HD receiver suggestions

I am moments away from pulling the trigger on the InFocus 4805. Costco has it with a 75" sceen for $1229.00.

I want to mount it on my ceiling. I hear the Keystone adjustments are difficult (I thought Keystone was a cheap beer, until yesterday). Also, should I buy the InFocus ceiling mount kit or is there something out there that is universal and maybe cheaper? Can I build a box? Does it have to angle down or will the Keystone adjustments take care of that issue?

My other question relates to a HD receiver. As the 4805 doesnt have a tuner I need something to pull stanard cable and I want to receiver OTA HD signals. Any suggestions?
  • Doop
    • Dec 2004

I don't know who told you the keystone adjustments are difficult, because that certainly wasn't my experience. Two buttons, you play with them a little until the image edges are parallel with the screen edges, and you're done. Piece of cake.

As for the mounts, there are a lot of ceiling mounts out there, some universal and some designed specifically for the 4805. I would suggest doing a search and looking at what's available. Two places to start might be projectormounts.com or perfectmounts.com. I've never seen the products so I can't say whether they're good, bad or indifferent.

Can't help you with the receiver. I have Dish Network satellite.

Incidentally, the 4805 is an incredible value. I'm not a professional, but I can't tell much difference between the picture it provides and the ones I see from the really, really expensive units at the dealer. Contrast and color are fabulous. Also, it's very versatile.

Two shortcomings, neither of them critical.

1. Infocus uses an M1 connector for its DVI input, so you will almost certainly need an adaptor. The company sells one for $45, and I've seen it for about $10 less from other companies.

2. Brightness. You really need a fairly dark room. Not pitch-black, but if you can read a newspaper comfortably, you probably aren't going to be terribly pleased with the TV image.

Enjoy!

Comment

• bhauseur
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger last night and bought the 4805. Two problems. I can't get a video signal from the S-video port and the composite (yellow RCA) connector had a dead short and when I pulled it into my Tivo it sparked!! It killed my Tivo!! My going back to Costco to raise hell. On a positive note my kids watched Sherk on the wall and the picture was amazing.

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Hopefully it was a dud unit, and they will make it up to you. the 4805 is a great bargain!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

CostCo has great return/exchange policies, so that's a good place to pick to buy it.

The sparking thing could be ESD accumulation when walking around the room. Plug it into an outlet first, and be touch the grounds of your signal cables to the connector shell ground first to be sure there's no voltage potenial difference. I've seen other equipment killed or damaged by ESD before- though not in my home!

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"