X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ti33er
    • Apr 2004

My new Infocus 4805!

Well well well, the UK has finally graced us Brits with the much talked about Infocus 4805!

I had a demo yesterday afternoon, and without a shadow of a doubt, handed over my plastic wallet within 30 minutes – we did a side-by-side comparison with the Infocus 5700, and I tell you what, the difference (the 5700 is more than twice the price of the 4805) IMO is negligible. The 5700 realistically has a maximum of 15% higher contrast level, and motion trails were possibly 5% less noticeable on the 5700!? …even the visible pixel structure of the 5700 on a 74” screen was negated at a meagre 3 foot of back-shuffle with the 4805 (stepping backwards with my feet that is )

If anybody is concerned about “Rain bowing”, I couldn’t see any, and I did look hard – once whilst watching Terminator 3, a sequence where John Connor is behind bars in a cage at the vet, the white light strips on the cage bars, when motion was produced by the camera swing, appeared to have an ever so slight green light after-glow (but that could have been the DVD player?) and it was only noticed by me being over-critical, none of my friends noticed this?

IMO Infocus have done an outstanding job, and get 2 thumbs up from me! :T

PS. The only thing that I am not all that happy about is the fan noise – when sitting in front of the PJ at home (she is on my coffee table, lens-throw distance prohibits any other placement unfortunately) the noise is annoying to say the least, but it was no noisier than the 5700 in HiFi Experience? à Subsequently, I am now looking into hush-box designs – will let you guys know if I am successful in this predictable operation!
    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Good for you buddy! :T

I have the X1....well now converted into the screenplay 4800....but anyways... I have to say it is a little noisy....but mine is far behind me...
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by ti33er
      The only thing that I am not all that happy about is the fan noise – when sitting in front of the PJ at home (she is on my coffee table, lens-throw distance prohibits any other placement unfortunately) the noise is annoying to say the least, but it was no noisier than the 5700 in HiFi Experience?
      I'd been looking forward to "real life" reviews of this much anticipated product. You had me "sold" right up to that point about the fan noise, which is a major concern for me. My Sony VPL-W400Q is WAYYY too loud (gets drowned out by the soundtrack during loud passages but makes softer passages hard to hear sometimes). I've vowed that my next projector is going to be SILENT (at least at my sitting position). So I guess the search continues for something cheap, visually effective and QUIET.

Originally posted by ti33er
      Subsequently, I am now looking into hush-box designs...
      Good luck devising an effective hush box that does not diminish the service life of the bulb or the projector itself. IOW, adequate ventilation and sound control work at cross purposes, but it can be done. I haven't seen any that are particularly attractive, though, which is a concern when it is “right there” in front of you.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I'll second what Burke said, as I too own a Sony VPL400. I had to buy a hushbox for it, which helped but didn't completely solve the noise issue, but rather lowered it a few decibles.
        But I don't use the Sony much, as my primary PJ is the NEC HT1000 dlp pj, which in Eco mode is virtually silent. Which leads me to ask, does the 4805 have an eco mode? This usually lowers the light level and slows down the fan speed. But I have to say, before I bought the NEC I saw an Infocus 7200 dlp and was totally turned off by the noisy fan. They are apparently aware of the fan noise issue and I had hoped that by now they had found ways to deal with it, and wondered if the 4805 had the noise issue solved. Guess not.
        Still, sounds like the 4805 in all other respects is going to be a great little pj for you.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

Thanks for the feedback Gents!

I must admit that if one is seated behind the 4805, the fan noise is not nearly as obtrusive as opposed to sitting in front of it - if you have it rear mounted within 4 foot of your head, I should think that the fan noise will probably annoy you (like I, myself!) ...when I do get round to constructing a hush-box, I will let you know how much this helps - plans so far are to get egg-box shaped foam that one uses for silencing PC cases (most effective in a PC I might add!) and mount this foam into a 5 sided box (solid top/sides and rear, and a half-mast length bottom side) whereby I will leave the front clear and at the rear a large bottom side vent to allow for the cables and air to be drawn up from the bottom - this should dull the sound by only allowing acoustics to refract onto the floor and outward to the front in effect? (I won't be sitting in front of it normally, only when guests are present!)

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

...also I havent noticed an eco mode yet - I will look shortly! :W

Comment

• ti33er
              • Apr 2004

Idiot!!

...I can't believe that I missed this...IDIOT! - I have discovered "LOW POWER" mode embedded in the menu (sorry I was obviously just too happy to get it home and show it off yester eve), and by selecting this option, after 10 seconds it suddenly reduced the fan noise by over 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...Gents, ignore what I said about the fan being noisy, but please note that I am not saying it is completely silent...what I am saying is, for a budget Projector the 4805 is certainly not overly noisy! (then again, expensive PJs also make noise!)

FYI: The picture dimmed by about 20%, but now that I look at it again after a few minutes, it looks normal again, ...what I am saying is I have gotten used to the LOW output already - it seems that in a 70%+ darkened room this setting will be fine in this mode! :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

That's good to hear , Paul. I would have been surprised to learn there was no eco mode on the 4805 as pretty much all of the newer PJs have an eco mode.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                  I've vowed that my next projector is going to be SILENT (at least at my sitting position). So I guess the search continues for something cheap, visually effective and QUIET.

Burke
                  Find a way to check out ProjectionDesign's stuff. Their PJs are amazingly quiet.

BB

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"