Is the Infocus 4800 a good machine

Thanks
    Chuckster
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Chuck a roo!

It`s simple.

The 4800 can be had for around 2000.004 Canadian bonearooneys......It has the SVGA adaptor and different firmware than the X1.

Also the 4800 will be replaced by the 4805 with a much higher retail...of around 2800.00$

My buddy downloaded the firmware of the 4800 into the X1....we saw no difference.

The X1 is sold in Big Stores where as the 4800 is sold in specialty shops.

That`s it that`s all!

Hope this helps some!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

The 4800 has been rated as great econo projector here in the UK and I was considering it, but from what I have seen, the screen pixels are most noticeable even from a fair distance...and I couldn't live with that? - I have been looking at the Screenplay 5700 / SIM2 Domino, which displays a much finer/smoother grid on the projected surface!

Anyway, that's my 2c!
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ti33er
        The 4800 has been rated as great econo projector here in the UK and I was considering it, but from what I have seen, the screen pixels are most noticeable even from a fair distance...and I couldn't live with that? - I have been looking at the Screenplay 5700 / SIM2 Domino, which displays a much finer/smoother grid on the projected surface!

Anyway, that's my 2c!

:huh: sounds more like a problem with your DvD player there bud......Me has the X1.....don' t have that problem at all...?

:

Comment

• MattCXII
          • Feb 2004

Personally,

The first projector I ever viewed was the 4800. I was all set to purchase then after taking the advise of a person on another forum I declined that purchase. Reason being, for me, after viewing the PJ for about an hour I developed a splitting headache and eye strain. I saw so many rainbows I think I even saw the pot of gold at the end of them. I realized at that point that I could not watch this PJ for more than an hour without rubbing my eyes and popping some pain killers.

This will hopefully be alleviated in the 4805 which will be released soon. The faster colour wheel will hopefully reduce the amount of rainbows (im not sure it will be enough) and the native 16:9 will be very nice.

I personally went with the Panasonic PT-AE500. Both DLP and LCD technologies have their short commings but I find the DLP ones (in the lower end projectors) to bother me more. I needed to get into the relms of the 5700 infocus before I was able to view the picture comfortably. That PJ was a tad out of my price range so I went with the AE-500.

Yes, I am FULLY aware that the blacks are not as strong on the Panny as they would be on the Infocus 4800 but I really don't care. If I watch an interesting enough movie... I really am to engulfed in the picture to care. Screen door effect is a non issue with the AE-500 and any Verticle Banding is either tweakable or... if I watch an interesting enough movie... I really am to engulfed in the picture to care.

I love the higher Res. of the LCD's especially for HDTV.

Don't get me wrong, if and when the better DLP's come down in price I will end up going the way of the DLP... until then... I can't afford the amount of pain killers necesary for me to watch a feature film.

Chuck... have you looked at LCD PJ's? What is your price range?

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

Hi Bam! ...no offence meant to you, or your X1, because I am generaly a fussy nit-picker (with Beer money and Champagne taste!) :W ...the times that I have viewed the 4800 have been at Dealers and HiFi shows, and what I meant by the screen pixels is that actual screen matrix i.e. 800 x 600 for the 4800, instead of the 1024 x 768 for the 5700 (I know these arent the actual figures, but if you get what I mean by that?) reveal the blocks that make up the screen - like when you look at a TV screen up close. That is what I can't live with - at that price that is what you can expect, but I would rather save up and buy the next up, which is what I am doing. 8O :W
            "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

hey ti33er!

I`ve thought about how to respond to your posts and here`s my response. While I was the first to talk like what you are saying...I would never discourage someone from buying a low end DLP projector like the Screenplay or the X1. Why cause it is really sweet. While I too have looked at the higher end HD DLP`s....but honestly I can`t justify 8* the price cause it is not 3 times the pic.

While my choice would be the JVC 3 chip on a high power Stewart screen this is not the same category.

So rather than living without a projector since there is always better coming out I went for the plunge.

Lastly, since the thread was originally oriented as "Is the Infocus 4800 a GOOD machine". The answer is yes; and the lamp has 4000 hours to it. Easily tweakable, can put component wiring to it with a nice Progressive scan DVD player that will WOW anybody....even the most demanding!
              Last edited by Bam!; 10 May 2004, 19:17 Monday.

Comment

• chuckaroo
                • Apr 2004

Info 4800

Thanks Bam

I've got my thinking cap on.

Have any knowledge on the Epson Powerlite 73C ?
                Chuckster

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Chuckaroo!

I`ve seen some Epson projectors at that Montreal Audio & Video show....and they did WOW me. The pricing is really sweet too. The funny thing is Nobody ever talk about them :huh: I don`t know why....but I never see any discussion on Epson.

Would I take an Epson over an Infocus ? You take the guess!

:T

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"