X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

New LCD Technology outperforms CRT

Ran across this URL, I figured it would interest many people in this thread.

New LCD Technology

Your comments are welcome.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

I wonder what the price it'll be? If it's really kicking all current CRT and LCD butt it worths a fortune. On the other hand, average consumer will not be able to afford it if they think people are willing to pay for such technology.

If the price and size get right(smaller than 30") I will score one even I bought the current LCD tv for only a year
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

I have seen demos of this in a couple of developmental stages. THe last was at SIGGRAPH 2005 from Brightside Technologies, who have it heavily patented, so this may be licensed from them.

What they showed last was a 42 in panel with a $45,000 price tag and a 100,000:1 CR.

It really is startingly reaslistic with these higher contrast levels. One thing shown sometime back in the earlier development was a picture taken of the display outside, where it still looked like a good image, instead of washed out as most screen shots look in anything but a darkened theater.

If they combine brightness control of the LEDs, with using a three color triad of LEDs (rather than white) as their back light, they can also get an extended color gamut (something NEC is already doing with beautiful results in some pricey computer displays, but without the brightness modulation). THEN they really have something over CRT.

BB

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Yeah I've heard about these new LCD's with their more intricate lighting schemes... It's great and all but as Brandon pointed out, everything I've seen on their pricing has them WAAAAY too expensive, also there's still the issue of pixel response time with LCD and SED is supposed to arrive in about a year with 100,000:1 contrast, as good or better colour, fast response time and "only" starting around $10k and going down from there....so.....
        Jason

Comment

• KeithM
          • Oct 2005

looks like I'll have something to buy when I get out of college at least. I wonder how soon this will be in projectors.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"