An RPTV for watching Hi-Definition Satellite only?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

An RPTV for watching Hi-Definition Satellite only?

An RPTV strictly for Hi-Definition Broadcasts!
    No DVD, Super Definition (SD) or Video games etc..only HDTV..
    The 3 Technologies CRT, LCD and DLP all have some advantages and disadvantages.
    However if one was to use a set dedicated to ONLY watching a Hi-Definition feed for Television, which Technology would be best suited.

We would definately want to take advantage of the 720p signal as the ExpressVu 6000 HD Satellite Receiver has the option to toggle between 720p and 1080i.

All advise is appreciated.
    Thanks,

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I think you know my vote on this but I'll be first to chime in

Budget not a concern and not for watching movies were deep, deep blacks are more of a concern I'd go DLP. Also the 720p native res will look awesome when fed a 720p signal. LCD is old, LCD is bad. CRT is a good lower budget option to the DLP and would give better black level but are more finicky/require maintenance and could have burn-in issues.

I vote DLP (or LCOS)

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• mazuly
      • Feb 2003

DLP as well. HD looks amazing on my Sammy DLP set. It always amazes people that see it for the first time.

I just like to point out something though. When you change the setting on the satellite receiver to broad cast in 480p, 720p or 1080i, the receiver will then scale all incoming signals (480p, 720p & 1080i) to the chosen output. IMO, I think it is better to let the TV do this scaling instead of the receiver since the scalars in TV are usually better than satellite receivers.

I would do the following if possible:

Best choice=send the signal as is and let the TV do the scaling if possible
      Second base choice: set at 720p for LCD,DLP or LCOS and 1080i for CRT base RPTV if you have to choose an output format.

Of course, this may be false if the conversion is better in the satellite receivers and one should test all output settings for best PQ.

Thanks,
      Maziar

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

So Trevor...any updates on what you've picked? Still looking? I agree you should test the scaling in the set vs. the STB and pick whichever does a better job.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"