X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackstar
    • Nov 2000

1080i Vs. 480/540p

This discusstion has been beat to death on other forums, but i would love to hear the opinion of the people on this forum about this subject.

I have Toshiba 57HX83, using a toshiba progressive player and I currently run all movies in 540p. Do you guys think that the picture would be better [fine detail etc.] if the picture was running in 1080i?

What do you guys run your setup's in?

Once again, thanks in advance for any replies!

Mike

The Land of the "Horse"
    The Land of the "Horse"
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If you're actually scaling from 480P to 540P, you'll have some aliasing issues and subtle loss of detail. If it's just using a 540P scan frequency, and putting the 480P withing that (which will result in pretty much no overscan on your TV), then you'll be OK, but you won't have any of the benefits of upscaling/oversampling.

You do have a DVI input, try borrowing a player with 1080i DVI output (like the new Samsung) on DVD- you might find the experience interesting. To really assess the difference, you've got to be sure the convergence is spot on. The standard user accessible convergence often isn't good enough- if you get a service manual, like I did when I had a Tosh RPTV, you can get into the service menu and the "high res" pattern generator, and really fine tune things... or mess them up, if you're not familiar or comfortable with the convergence drill.

Good luck, and have fun.

~Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"