• Show
Clear All
  • Ledfoot
    • Feb 2005

480p Vs 1080i

OK I got a qustion on HDTV
    I got a Samsung 54 inch Rear projection Tv That does 480p and 1080i
    my digtal cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD
    I'm useing the Red blue green cables from the Box to the tv when I goto a hd tv station it switchs to 1080i but I can put it to 480p witch is better and which is true HDTV signal.

Thanks
    Eddie
  • Neal_C
    • Feb 2003

You don't want to be switching an HD channel into 480p. 480p (and 480i) is standard definition. 1080i is high definition (along with 720p and 1080p).

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

so, what's the true definition of high defnition?

720p, 1080i or 1080p?

Comment

• theinsider
        • Feb 2005

True Hd

My guess would be 1080p

Comment

• Neal_C
          • Feb 2003

Well, 720p and 1080i are the two most popular HD resolutions. You will have people on both camps claiming one is better than the other.

1080p displays are entering the market.

I don't think there is any broadcast or media actually in 1080p yet...and not sure the time frame to bring that either, or if it is even in the works.

Neal

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

True HD is defined as 720p or 1080i. My set will do 1080p but like Neal said, nothing exists in that format. May be HD DVDs will enter that realm.

AJ
            AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Nick M
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

While I'm many months away from making a purchase on a display, I've just started looking at front projectors, and flatscreen LCDs/Plasmas.

The way my room (18' x 10') is set up, I'm 8' from the wall my display will be on, and there is 2' behind me. I'm nervous about fan-noise seeing as the projector will be only 2' behind me, and 3' above my head. I was looking at the Infocus SP 4805 and 5000, but have been leaning towards flat panels due to the fan issue.

The only materials I watch are DVDs, so with the current format 16x9 480p gives me what I need (although 720p and 1080p would be nice for the anti-aliasing effects it gives). I've really been interested in the slew of 42" 480p Plasmas floating around. LG makes a decent model for around $2500. Once I save up enough, I'm going to bring my DVD player, component cables, and AVIA calibration DVD to one of the supermarts to try out some of the 42" 480p plasmas. The material they broadcast through all the splitters sucks, as does the super-bright, ultra-red settings they use to battle all the lights in the showroom. Maybe 720p panels will come down into my price range by then too.
              ~Nick

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

AJPOE, what set do you have that does 1080p?

Comment

• ajpoe
                  • Jul 2004

The Hitachi S series with built in tuner CRT RPJ. I just looked at the specs and it actually says:

VirtualHD™ 1080p Video Processor:
                  When content from film is sent to your home it requires processing that can cause picture noise or distortion. VirtualHD™ technology reduces this noise to a minimum, recreating the smooth curves and high fidelity image of the original film source.
                  Now I'm wondering if it will actually do 1080p if that signal becomes available or if its just an upsampling feature for existing formats.

AJ

Comment

• Neal_C
                    • Feb 2003

AJ,

I don't know what exact model you have, but I looked at the spec sheet for the 57S715 and it says it is 1080i/720p/480p/480i input compatible. That means it won't take 1080p.

The virtual 1080p processor doesn't even list 1080p as an output. It says it is 1080i/540p (half 1080 obviously) user selectable display format.

Comment

• ajpoe
                      • Jul 2004

I just remembered something about 1080p and assumed it handled the format. Apparently I was wrong. 720p and 1080i are good enough for me anyway. I can't tell the difference between those 2 so I can't imagine 1080p will be much different.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"