• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

540p?

Please explain 540p to me.. ops:
    I am looking at getting a 16:9 RPTV for the Family room.
    All sets seem to feature 480p and 1080i
    Most have 720p capabilites.,except for Toshiba it seems.
    As well some , not all have the 540P feature.

MY HDTV satelitte has settings for 720P and 1080i.
    So I am thinking I may not be able to use the 540P option.
    Correct?

Thanks for any help!

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I did respond to this in Eduardo's Hitachi diary but I've repeated myself before so...

540p or 1080i (user selectable) is what Hitachi has chosen to up/down-sample everything to. My guess is, because the two work easily together. [1080(i) / 2 = 540(p)] As most CRT's only support up to about a 1200-1300 line horizontal resolution, 960 x 540 fits within that spec where as 1920 x 1080 does not. Plus 540p eliminates interlacing artifacts at the expense of a bit of 1080i's horizontal resolution. As I said, it's user selectable so you can chose which option you prefer.
    Myself, I'm still boggled as to why, with about 1280 horizontal lines of resolution (Hitachi's specs) CRT based sets don't use 720p (1280x 720), which would fit perfectly, but what do I know?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Jason!
      I actually just seen your post in Eduardo's thread.

Now what is the purpose of 720P
      Is it going to look better than 1080i?
      Also , the Hitachi's have the 1080P called Virtual HD. Is that a big deal . Does it really look great?

I am looking at the 51S500 Hitachi for my Family room.
      Eduardo was originally getting a 51S700..Not sure the diference?

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

IMO 720p does look better than 1080i but that's me. There are many people on both sides of that fence and no clear winner. Of course that's on a device that can actually display true 720p vs. one that displays true 1080i. There's no display to my knowledge that does both in their native resolution. It's always converted to one or the other which makes it next to impossible to truly compare the two formats. I haven't seen Hitachi's virtual 1080p either so I can't comment on it. Though I can't see how it would be bad. Worst case it couldn't lokk worse than 1080i which looks pretty damn good Just so you know there is no 1080p format at this time so everything would have to be scaled to that. I'd guess the 700 is a newer model than but I don't know or sure. As RPTV's go, Hitachi makes some of the better ones, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Trevor,

You mentioned you're looking at the Hitachi for a new TV, what are you criteria for this TV? Not that that's a bad choice I'd love that set myself but just curious what your specific needs are.

Low Price? Good Black Level? High Light output for a room with minimal light control? Size?

If you've got a room with moderate to good light control and want a nice picture with great black levels and colour and size isn't much of a concern but price is, then the Hitachi is one of the better choices.

If size or light control is a bit of a concern and you want a bright and very detailed pixel for pixel image and especially if you're using a scaler or HTPC that allows you to set specific resolutions and output DVI then a DLP or LCOS based set may be better for you. They're cheaper than plasma (I loathe plasma's by the way) but are more expensive than CRT's. They also have no risk of burn in The bright picture is good for a lack of proper lighting control but gives you a decent-mediocre black level (similar to plasma/LCD but with less of their other compromises).

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Jason!

This is for upstairs in the family room.
            In this room I recently installed our Bell ExpressVu
            Hi-Definition Satellite receiver. Viewing will basically
            be strictly TV watching.

With the entertainment unit we just put into the room
            I have a limit of 50"-52" in width for the new RPTV.
            This is essentially the width of the 51" 16:9 sets.

I looked at the new Hitachi LCD and the Samsung DLP and
            didn't feel the picture was a crisp as it should be.
            I realize the set's likely weren't calibrated and I am sure
            poor quality interconnects were used as well. Still, I wasn't really thrilled.

As for lighting . We have a huge window behind the couch and the kitchen is located to the right. The front entrance and living room are off to the forward right, so not much light control at all. Not to bad though in the night when the sun goes down.

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well seen as how it doesn't sound like you'll be able to send the TV a scaled 720p or 1080i resolution at all times the advantages of chip-based displays start to diminish. Also it sounds like you'll do most of your watching at night when light control isn't as much of a concern and the better black levels of CRT's will be appreciated. Not to mention how much cheaper CRT RPTV's are! ...lol

I'd have to assume the DLP displays you saw, besides having the problems you listed, probably weren't even being fed a HD image and almost definately not one that had been properly scaled to say the Samsung's native 1280x720p. Most likely they were being fed the stores split umpteen times cable signal... in other words garbage.

I can guarantee you that a properly scaled 1280x720 image sent to the Samsungs look ridiculously clear. My brother is in the business of integrating networked whole home computer/theatre systems with media-servers at much lower prices than the "custom" companies and has a Samsung DLP connected to his HTPC sending a scaled 1280x720 image to it and all I can say is wow! Keep in mind I've got a pretty decent setup at my own home too....

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Thanks again Jason!

The Hi-Def Networks will be the
                main sorce of viewing.

I would say at least 80-85% of the time..
                So it's Hi-Def all the way!!

Your right on the LCD and DLP set's .
                They were showing the Nemo DVD but split into about 10 different sets in the room.
                That could likely be the problem.

Anyways, The Hitachi CRT or the Sony Wega LCD my be
                what I would need/want..

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Eduardo
                  Moderator emeritus
                  • Jun 2002

Sorry I haven't participated in this thread. Although there is not much I can add that Jason hasn't already stated, just that I love my Hitachi.

HD cable looks awesome. The newer boxes upconverts everthing to 1080i. And all audio is transmited through the digital connection.

Calibration is very important with this set. One of the main reasons for buying this set, besided price, are all the tweaks available to get the best picture possible. Hopefully, I will be getting my system calibrated hopefully by Gregg Loewen.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Trevor, I'd skip LCD sets. They can look good but there are still to many drawbacks IMO. LCD is the oldest chip based technology and it's starting to show it's age compared to the newer technologies. Plus they usually have native resolutions from computer settings, like 1024x768 etc which means there will be some artifacting from scaling the picture to wonky resolutions.

I'm not familiar with your HD STB but does it allow you to scale everything to say 720p or 1080i? If that's the case Samsung's DLP or Toshiba's LCOS sets are still the best options IMO (Samsung for 720p, Toshiba for 1080i/p) If not I'd stick with the Hitachi. It will be cheaper and give you better black level for night viewing and Hitachi sets are awesome, especially for the money. If you've got the budget and want higher resolution and better light output for daytime viewing go with the Samsung or Toshiba.

Eduardo, Hitachi does make some fine sets don't they Glad your enjoying yours! What do you plan do get done on your set? Full treatment with lens stripping and lining or just the basics like grayscale, geometry etc?

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Eduardo
                      Moderator emeritus
                      • Jun 2002

Jason, here are the basic service included in the base price:

Pre evaluation of the viewing environment
                      Pre evaluation of the display device, projector, and cabling
                      Removal of the protective screen (where applicable)
                      Mechanical disconnection of SVM circuit
                      Image centering
                      Minimization of overscan
                      Correction of major geometry errors
                      Convergence touch up of all NTSC modes
                      Electronic focus adjustments
                      Mechanical focus adjustments
                      Cleaning of optics
                      Herman TLV Maneuver for applicable Toshiba sets
                      Grayscale adjustment to 6500 D Kelvin
                      Centering of front panel controls when ever possible
                      Adjustment of front panel controls from within the service menu
                      Color decoder adjustment where possible, either via service menu adjustment, EEPROM Reflashing (I2C Fix), or installation of a red push attenuator.
                      Lens striping, when required, to achieve a color temperature variation of less than 500 Kelvin.
                      Computer generated report showing pre and post calibration settings

==============================================

I am interested in what tweaks you have done. I have the service manuel and Avia so I'm going to try focusing first. Have you adjusted your grey scale?

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I've corrected the red-push and "lime green" issue and calibrated with Video Essentilas. I had planned to get it professionally calibrated a couple months after purchasing but ran out of $ :? (Mortgage, girlfriend, stepdaughter, car repairs etc, etc). I know we're not supposed to link to other forums but there's just too damn much info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=273639 about Hitachi tweaks etc. Otherwise don't use that forum. It's bad! But seriously there is a TON of info in that thread. Hopefully at some point in the next year or so, I'll be able to get the set ISF'd. I'm thinking of going all out with lining and everything though, so it could cost a pretty penny... :roll: (I hope my girlfriend doesn't kill me... I've just got to remember...engagement ring first, then ISF tech...lol)

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Eduardo
                          Moderator emeritus
                          • Jun 2002

Jason,

Thanks. Been there and you can see some of my posts as 'EEJIMEN'.

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

You can see some of my posts as....

...aud19 there!....lol

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"