X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ruth
    • Aug 2004

Intel LCoS info wanted!

Hi, all,

We're looking for info on the Intel LCoS tv's coming out supposedly later this year....I can't find much out there except from January/February when they announced they will be producing chips (codenamed Cayley) and hope to reach a large portion of the market with sets around $1800 U.S.

After fruitlessly searching their website for an updated press release, I emailed Intel to find out if they were still on schedule with those, and when they thought these sets may make it to Canada....their reply just stated that this info wasn't on the public website yet....duh....

Any ideas from anyone out there on whether these might be worth waiting for? I'm concerned their chips may run out like Toshiba's supply did (I think it was Toshiba??). Also, I would appreciate thoughts, comments, etc. on how you think the LCoS compares to DLP; we've liked the look of the Samsung, and the new HLP models sound pretty good...but there are still the moving parts and possible rainbow effect...and the cost, especially for their newest sets with HD2+ and xHD3 chips waiting just around the corner.

Thanks so much everyone! (Jason, Trevor says you really know this stuff!)
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Ruth!!
    Welcome to the HTG..Another member from Saskatchewan. 8)
    I am sure the guys will be around soon, to give you
    some info you are looking for.
    If not, then I will track them down for you. :B
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Well unfortunately you know about as much as I do about Intel's LCOS chips. As you stated there just isn't much info out there. Are they something to wait for? I suppose that's up to the individual. If you're in no hurry to buy, it can't hurt to wait and see how they'll perform and at the very least they'll add more competition to the market which should drive prices down. If you need a new display fairly soon, then there are lot's of quality options at various prices now. Besides, there will always be "something" around the corner. If, you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll never buy a display! :lol:

As for performance, LCoS tends to have better black levels and fill factor though they tend to have lower peak white capability (DLP's are VERY bright). A lot will depend on the room you put it in. A bright room with a seating position fairly far away might be better for DLP for example. To be honest though, unless you have a specific reason for going with a chip-based set, you'll likely get better performance and coulour out of a high quality CRT based set still and for less money

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• LCOS Lover
        • Jul 2004

Intel is going to wait until their panels are perfect before they release them. And there will not (as much as I am aware) be an Intel branded LCOS TV. They will sell the panels to electronics manufacturers who will use them in TV sets, much like Intel chips are used in computers now.

The best I can guess is next spring for a TV with an Intel panel inside.

As an FYI, some of the companies that make the best TV`s (a very volitile statement) make their own LCOS panels. Sony, JVC and Hitachi, so they will doubtedly buy Intel panels.

Toshiba used Hitachi panels, but they were not ready for prime time yet, so Toshiba canceled their LCOS program and is going DLP. Too bad...

LCOS has been seen as the Holy Grail for awhile, but has had many problems in producing the panels. It appears that the time for it to either sink or swim is here. Both Philips and JVC have LCOS TVs in the market now, and although they do have a few bugs, they are getting fairly good reviews.

I would say if you can wait until next spring you will have a pretty good range of LCOS TVs to choose from.

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

If you don't see one at CES(first weekend of January), then they will be severly delayed. I could easily say that if you don't see one at Cedia(Sept 7th I think). then you are looking at atleast late next year. Samsung's DLP's that debuted at CES just arrived this month.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The Toshiba 57" model looked to be real nice.
            Very expensive at $9,000 US ..
            I will definately be looking into this technology
            once it gets off the ground.
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Intel officially delays the product indefinitely. The article officialy says nothing this year so we probably won't see a prototype until CES at the earliest:

Comment

• Ruth
                • Aug 2004

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I think we've decided to go with a CRT-based set for now; like you said, Jason, if we keep waiting we'll never buy! It sounds like it will be awhile for Intel to get those chips into mass production, and we've already been putting it off for some time, hoping to find the 'almost perfect' set. Hopefully the LCoS sets will be all they're cracked up to be, but a few years will tell...

I think we'll go with a 51 inch Hitachi 'S' series. The sets in the store (Future Shop) are set up with terrible feeds and don't look very good, but it sounds like they are one of the best sets out there, and I'm sure it will look better when it's home and tweaked (if we can figure out how!) Plus we're getting a good clearance price.

:lol:

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Nice set choice :T (I'm a big Hitachi CRT fan! :P ) I've got a year old Hitachi F-series at my house and it looks awesome after tweaking. The S-series are even better :T I've got no money yet for a full ISF calibration ( ) but hopefully not too many years...

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ruth,,Congrats on the Hitachi S 51"
                    That is a very nice RPTV..:T
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Ruth
                      • Aug 2004

Thanks for the congrats! :thanku: I liked the fact that this set can upconvert to 720p. We did the paperwork yesterday, but we haven't got it home yet. We want to go with the monster cables and surge protection, and I wouldn't mind picking up an Avia setup disc...any idea if one is available in this neck of the woods? :unsure:

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Ummm...step away from the Monster cables if you can... They tend to make over-priced under-quality cables IMO.

Cat Cables (see link at the bottom of the page) would be a great option if you can wait for delivery as they make great cables at reasonable prices, otherwise there should be better in store options if you need them NOW.

If you can't find Avia or Digital Video Essential locally, they're both available online. If not Trev should be able to lend you the copy he surely has

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Ruth,,Send me an E-mail address with your Home Address and such and you can borrow my Avia.
                          I will send it to you.

I also like Cat Cables..
                          I have quite a few in my system.
                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ruth
                            I wouldn't mind picking up an Avia setup disc...
                            You might also want to look at the recently released Digital Video Essentials. I had the original VE, have the DVE and also have the AVIA. Of the three, I really prefer the DVE for the resultant PQ on my Pioneer Elite. Of course, YMMV.
                            Last edited by David Meek; 26 August 2004, 08:30 Thursday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Ruth,
                              The Avia disc is in the mail.
                              You should get it early next week.
                              Were you able to set up the Hitachi yet?
                              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"