X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhodiel
    • Mar 2004

Screen options

Hello,

I am going to get the Sanyo PLV-2Z. My room is 23x14x8.5. I plan to mount this PJ approx 15' with maximum zoom to fit a 60x106 screen.

I need to options to what screen i need.

Features needed:

Micro-pref
    electric
    tensioned
    ambient light surrounding

Any thoughts and/or advice what screen I should get?

Many thanks in advance,

Ariel
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Nice projector choice. Ouch on that screen, it's gonna be expensive. I'm not sure if screen makers actually sell the motorized mechanisms or if you have to get someone to assemble the whole thing. You may need to do some research I think in addition to what others may know here.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Ariel, since Carada is a sponsor of this site, I'd suggest starting there. Why microperf ? Do you plan to install speakers behind the screen ? There have been some problems with microperf screens when using lcd projectors. Some claim to see a moire effect in the projected image. Perhaps newer models do not create this effect, but it would certainly be smart to see an lcd image displayed on a microperf screen before purchasing.

Besides Carada there is DaLite, Stewart , Vutec and Draper. A search on the net will get you to their sites.

Also, you should know that electrics and tensioned screens are VERY expensive.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• rhodiel
        • Mar 2004

Thank you.

yes, i plan to place my speakers behind the screen, especially the center. i did not know that micro-perf can create such an artifact. i will find someone in So. Cal who carries the sanyo with micro-perf screen. having a perf screen is my first priority. the other features can be sacrificed for the sake of saving money. i tried carada, dalite and stewart. the sites are not too specific of what models have micro-perf. i will give them a try again. in the meantime, any suggestions is appreicated.

Thanks,

Ariel

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Ariel,
          With screen mfgrs., you will probably have to contact them via e-mail or by phone when you have specifications that may not be shown on their sites.

Regarding the perfed screen, I didn't mean to alarm you. You may not have a problem with a perfed screen. Since I have never owned one, I was only going by what I had read elsewhere when people matched such a screen up with projectors other than crt, which apparently do not have a problem with a perfed screen. I could be wrong, but I believe that either Jon or Dean may have used, or do use a perfed screen. Maybe they'll jump in here and correct me. Thing is, so many people are now into lcd, dlp and lcos that I would be surprised if one of the screen mfgrs haven't designed and mfgd a perfed screen for these newer Pjs.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

George's concerns are valid. Projectors that work fairly well with micro perf in decending order are CRT, DILA, and DLP. Fill factor on the pixels is the issue, and interaction with the perforations. You can get away with an LCD screen, but you'll typically need to "de-focus" a bit to "improve" the fill factor and avoid moire patterns.

It's best to "audition" any screen you get before purchase. I understand the "attractiveness" of hiding speakers behind a perf screen, but I wouldn't do this if I used the system also as a main audio system. But YMMV, especially since you're considering a motorized screen. Be prepared to spend almost as much on the screen as on your projector, considering your "laundry list".

Might be a good idea to audition speakers in front and behind any perf screen you're considering.

I do agree with Lex that Carada offers very good value in a fixed installation screen.

Good luck with getting every thing sorted out, and happy viewing! :B

~Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

Ariel,

I have owned both the DaLite Audiovision perf screen, and I currently have a Stewart Grayhawk microperf screen.

It is true that you can get interference/moire patterns at different screen image sizes with perforated screens.

I have an anamorphic lens, and D-ILA/DLP projectors which reduce those effects, plus a larger screen (180" diag) so I don't have that problem, but I have seen the effect at smaller image sizes with different perforated screens, especially with LCD projectors that have a larger pixel gap in the array.

Unfortunately, choosing a perforated screen that is tensioned AND electric is the most expensive combination, and could easily cost as much as your projector. 8O

-Dean.

Comment

• rhodiel
                • Mar 2004

All I can say is .... ouch.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE. I am going to redesign my setup.

Ariel

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Couple of things:

First, IMO you have done an excellent thing buying the PJ before the screen, as it lets you experiement and decide exactly what you are looking for in a screen before commiting. You should try out some painted pieces of wood or foam board to make sure about size and white vs. grey beforehand. It's a erlatively small investment ($20-30) and gives you invaluable insight into the differences.

Second, you say your PJ will be possitioned at maximum zoom. It is really worthwhile to leave yourself a little adjustability in both directions (barring insurmountable obstacles like lights/ceiling fans etc) so that you can zoom the image for screen filling purposes as needed.

The Great Indoors store in Burbank has a custom HT room hidden in its depths where last I checked they had a tab tensioned morotized Stewart Greyhawk at 96" diagonal, if you want to get an idea of what such a beast looks like (at $2K plus probably more than you, or I for that matter, would want to spend, but you can see what one is).

BB

Comment

• rhodiel
                    • Mar 2004

All I can say is .... ouch.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE. I am going to redesign my setup.

Ariel

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"