X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Stinking screen?!?!?

Hey there,

After literally weeks of researching, I finally bought my Dalite Contour Electrol, 119" Diagonal, HIgh Contrast Cinema Vision, Tab Tensioned screen... and man does it look nice... My camera's acting up, or I'd post pic of it today...

So it looks wonderful... problem is, it smells just awful. What's the deal?!?!

I read somewhere that there are certain solvents that are used in the manufacturing process that sometimes linger on... but it's been a week and a half since it's been installed and it's still going strong.

Any ideas? I haven't put the screen down the whole time because we have a little baby in the house, and I don't want her to get choked up on the smell...

Any help would be appreciated!

Fauzi
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

You could try ventilating the room as much as possible until the smell is minimized/gone...? :huh:
    Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by aud19
      You could try ventilating the room as much as possible until the smell is minimized/gone...? :huh:
      That's all I can think of too. You could use room freshener or something to help. We use Lamp Bergers here at my house for smells.
      Danish

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

The best way to eliminate the odor is to remove its source. That means cleaning off the substance causing the odor or completely airing it out (if it is something that will eventually go away that way) -- not necessarily whare it is located now, or physically removing the offending item (which may also be necessary for airing out -- fortunately in this case, the source is on an item that can be moved, rather than paint on the walls, where you are kind of stuck with it until it finally does air out).

Some "room freshener" products (such as sprays or wicks) are more toxic than the substances causing the offensive odors. They mask the odor, but do not necessarily remediate the choking hazard. Those that substitute another "more pleasant" odor may trigger an allergic reaction in some people with the chemicals that are introduced by the "freshening" process.

Perhaps you should contact the seller and see if they have experience with this problem and get their recommendations (or a refund). In the meantime, maybe try leaving the screen open in a safe place like the garage where it might air out without making family member pass out from constant exposure.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

You are the middle east if I recall, do you have air conditioning? If your house is pretty warm, it may take a little longer for the outgassing to stop.

BB

Comment

• Arneson
            • Jan 2006

My two screens are both outside on the lanai. One stinks One has lost the stink many years ago.
            Jim

Comment

• fauzigarib
              • Aug 2006

Pakistan, actually

Originally posted by Brandon B
              You are the middle east if I recall, do you have air conditioning? If your house is pretty warm, it may take a little longer for the outgassing to stop.

BB
              Brandon,

I'm actually in Pakistan, but the weather is just like the middle east. Yes, I do have air conditioning, but unfortunately, it's the split air conditioners, which don't have circulation... and this is a basement.

I may just have to leave it open for a few days and run the fan around... see what happens... If not, then I'll remove it (which is a hassle and a half) and let it air out for a few days.

Let's see what happens.

thanks for the response.

Fauzi

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

My 119" Da-Lite screen had a "new product" smell to it at first. I wouldn't exactly classify it as a stink. Went away over time.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If it's available locally spray the back side of the screen with Febreeze. Let it dry before you roll the screen up.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fauzigarib
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    If it's available locally spray the back side of the screen with Febreeze. Let it dry before you roll the screen up.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input! I've been leaving the screen "down" and the fans and ac's in the room on... So it's cost me an arm and a leg in electricity to get this done, but the smell is noticably reduced now.

Once again, thanks folks...

Fauzi

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"