X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

Sharp Z9000..What do you guys think?

Ok, Ok I know it is mostly a LCD board here but I will throw this out anyway. I have been feverously shopping for about a month now and have to make a PJ decision by the end of February. I have a $3000 budget and could possibly stretch to $3500 if just the right PJ came along. I have looked very closely at the Sony HS20 and it will be my fall back PJ if nothing else works out. I have compared LCD to DLP side by side and I just prefer DLP. I won't go into all the reasons but I just do. All my LCD comparisons were made by looking at the Sony and the Yamaha 5000. I have been looking for a HD2 machine but I am almost resigned to the fact that they will not come down into my price range until it is too late. Finally, I came across the Sharp 9000 deal for $2800 via an internet retailer. The unit is a refurb but does have full warranty. He expects to get more in soon and I am on his waiting list. I have seen a 9000 but it was back in the fall. I remember that it was good but not as good as the BenQ 8700 I have been lusting over. Have any of you guys seen and compared a 9000 lately to the HD2 machines? Are there any real set backs to this unit other than no DVI? (I will not be using DVI anyway until they get their act together on the cabling issues) At $2800 I feel safe but just as sure as I buy this a BenQ 8700 or Sharp 10000 will come into my price range. How far do you guys think HD2 machines will fall before the end of February? Thanks for all the input.

Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Even though I own an LCD , I'd still say that's a darn good price for that machine. Don't think you'll do any better in the next 6 months or so.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

This board isn't completely lcd. I own both an lcd and a dlp PJ and truly prefer dlp due to the fantastic contrast and black levels, especially on the NEC HT1000, which is an XGA PJ, though you'd never know it. I don't know much about the Sharp but that certainly looks like a bargain.

Don't expect to see WXGA dlp pjs for much less than what the BenQ is going for. If the 3 chip dlps take off, then you may see WXGA dlps around the 3 to 4 K mark in the next couple of years.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• awtryau89
        • Dec 2002

Thanks guys for the bit of input. I went ahead and bit the bullet. The guy had another refurb come in today and he called me. He opens the box and checks everything out before shipping. He said everything was perfect. He even hooks the PJ up to his computer and analysis equipment and adjusts everything; color temp to D6500, contrast, brightness etc to ISF specs. He shipped the unit today and I will have it on Monday. All this for $2800 delivered. Same warranty as a brand new 9000. I just got so tired of looking and obsessing over every little thing. This is my first PJ and I think no matter what I were to purchase I would be happy. This way I actually come in under budget, have something I can live with a few years and then when the 3 chip DLPs take over, I can upgrade. My only problem is now I cannot play with everything until my house is finished in March. I have a brand new 96" Carada screen ($590 delivered)here as well. Oh well patience is a virtue.

Eric Awtry
        War Eagle
        Eric Awtry
        War Eagle

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Erik, congrats! I think for myself, I didn't give DLP to much of a look due to the scares of rainbow effects when getting my 1Kish projector, especially on lower end machines with only 1 color wheel.

When getting number 2, the 2HD, well, that was just going from all the hype, and reviews. I couldn't resist.

No, I can't tell you that rainbow effects would have impacted me. But odds are, it would have impacted someone watching a movie at some point on mine.

Excellent choice on the screen. David at Carada is great to work with and makes a fine product at an excellent price point.

Let us know as things come together!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Eric, when you have the Sharp up and running, let us know what you think.

Lex, you'd be surprised how many people don't see rainbows on dlp. I have had several people in my HT since I added the NEC and not once has anyone said anything about rainbows, headaches or fatigue. Even though I see them on certain material, they don't bother me. But for those who are bothered by this artifact, it is a shame because dlp is really closing the gap between digital and crt.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I might be surprised George. I didn't have to many choices the first PJ I got, since I got it at Best Buy. I could have got an X1, yes, but I decided to try LCD. Since I was reasonably happy with my first one, I decided I would just eliminate rainbows as a possibility, since I knew the screen door I'd experienced, I could live with, and stayed with LCD.

I'm certainly not saying DLP is not for anyone. I truly have not evaluated them. But I honestly would have to say, "some LCD" is also closing that gap, like the Z2 or 2HD.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug

Comment

• awtryau89
                • Dec 2002

I'll certainly come back and ressurect this thread when I do get everything set up.

You know the DLP rainbow thing has never bothered me. I have been to dealer after dealer and tried to see rainbows. I have blinked, shook my head violently and even jumped up and down. I must have been a sight. I have had friends sit next to me and say, " did you see it, did you see it? that was a rainbow right there," but I never have had the problem. I have seen the test demos that show you what to look for and what rainbows look like, but I just do not have that problem. One thing may be is I have never seen a X1 or a lower end DLP. The 9000 is going to be the lowest end DLP I have seen and it still has a 6 segment 5X clolor wheel. Supposedly the newer 7 segment 6X color wheels are even better at reducing rainbows but when you don't see them anyway it doen't matter.

Lex, I have a friend with a Sony HS20 and I love it. Every time I go watch something on that projector I love it. The only reason I didn't go with it is when I compare it directly to DLP I could see things I liked better about the DLP. For me it just seemed to be smoother more "filmlike" image but that is only in direct comparisons. I had a phone conversation the other day with a customer that replaced his 9000 with a HS20. He used the same screen and the setup was the same. He told me that the 9000 and the HS20 were basically a wash. The LCD was brighter and more vibrant but still couldn't get quite to the level of his old 9000 on CR and smoothness. He switched because he wanted to use the DVI input and also with a HTPC and the Sony was more amiable for these purposes. Anyway that made me feel real good because I know how good the Sony is and I will give up that brightness for the CR and smoothness.

Anyway enough about that topic. Lex, I may be calling you soon about some long component cables. I hope I can afford you.

Eric Awtry
                War Eagle
                Eric Awtry
                War Eagle

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I'd say you will be very happy with it Eric. I have heard the effect is generally more pronounced on the lower end ones, and if they don't bother you, nothing will. I wish I either knew more people locally in the hobby, or else had stores with good setups to view. We've got a couple of stores, maybe I will have to give them a better look next time.

I'll try to do you right on a nice component cable Eric, just give me a shout when your ready. Don't make it toooo long though.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

Eric,

I have a DLP and D-ILA projector, and I'm only reminded about rainbows when I come online and read about it affecting some people. I've literally had dozens of new viewers come over to watch movies (or taking it out to show movies at other people's homes) using my little NEC LT150 DLP FPTV, and I've never had one complaint.

But I won't deny that some people can notice rainbows, especially if they are looking for them. It's like people who are sensitive to the 60Hz flicker of fluorescent lights. So I usually recommend that people interested in buying a DLP projector watch at least a half hour of programming to see for themselves.

With that said, I was quite impressed seeing the picture of the Sharp Z9000, which had a detailed image, good color, and quiet fan (and faster color wheel). I've actually personally been tempted on upgrading my LT150 and getting a Z9000 when I saw just them dip under $3K used.

Tell us what you think of the unit when you get it home and play with it for a while.

-Dean.

Comment

• awtryau89
                      • Dec 2002

Well, I got the PJ today. I came shipped in a plain white box with just red "Sharp" lettering on the sides. Definitely not original but sufficient. I opened it and found the PJ packed very well but probably not up to original carton specs. When I unwrapped it from its bubble wrap I was amazed at its condition. I was expecting some show iof wear or use as it was a Refurb unit. The PJ is perfect and I cannot find a bit of wear on it anywhere. I fired it up and projected on to a blue wall and it looks great for what I was expecting. The unit had 1 hour on the bulb and this was expected as the dealer told me he would calibrate it a bit and let it burn in to make sure there would be no problems. Anyway I think I going to be very satisfied. Once I get eveything up at the new house, I plan on watching for a few weeks and then I will have Randy Tomlinson come by and calibrate it. Well from my experience I would definitely recommend this option if you are bent towards DLP and want to stay under $3k. I do not have any problems with the PJ being a refurb as it saved me over $600 and the dealer told me Sharp has to go in and completely rebuild them from the ground up and it comes with the same warranty. EMail me if you want more info.

Eric Awtry
                      War Eagle
                      Eric Awtry
                      War Eagle

Comment

• Dean McManis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • May 2003

That sounds great Eric.

Enjoy! 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Yep, have fun, Eric.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• crstrand
                            • Jan 2002

Congrats on the PJ Eric.
                            I've owned a 9000 for over a year and love it.
                            I'm not going to tell you how much I paid back then, but let's just say it would make you feel VERY VERY good about the deal you got.

The 9000 has a double speed color wheel so the only way I can see rainbow is if there's white on the screen (vertical edge) and I shift my eyes back and forth as fast as I can (which eventually make me nauseous ).

A few months ago, I also splurged for the Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk. The pairing is superb. There are other materials out there that are arguably as good, but I just wanted something I knew I would be happy with.

Congrats on the PJ. You'll love it.

Comment

• awtryau89
                              • Dec 2002

Thanks guys for all the comments. Now all I have to do is wait for my house to get done. Sometimes I worry I purchased the PJ too early but with the deal I got I feel comfortable. After I did all the research and looked at the 9000 vs the one I really wanted (BenQ 8700), I have become even more confident in my decision and do not think I would want to spend too much more than I did. I have gotten in touch with Randy Tomlinson (Widescreen Review Calibrationist) who happens to live in Atlanta and he is going to calibrate the PJ when I get everything set up. He says he can make it look out of this world. I have taken the PJ to one shop and done a side by side comparison with the Sharp 10K and Runco CL-710 and while both were better than my 9000, I was very suprised at how little difference there really was. Anyway, I am pleased.

Eric Awtry
                              War Eagle
                              Eric Awtry
                              War Eagle

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"