• Show
Clear All
  • Glen
    • Dec 2003

LCD afterimage (burn in)

Anyone ever hear of this before.

I took this from the Panasonic PTAE500 owners manual on their web site :

* Liquid crystal panel

Do not project the same image for long periods of time, as this may remain as an afterimage on the liquid crystal panel. *

I have never come accross a statement like this before. Everything I've ever read states that the main benefit of LCD (and DLP) is no burn in ( as apposed to CRT displays ).

:?:
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Glen, I think there is less burn in, not no burn in with LCD's.

I have a buddy with (used to have) a Sony VPL 400Q, that he bought used, it had considerable "4:3" wear on it's panels, but he was able to "excercise" it out by using it in wide mode.

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

The crucial difference between CRT phospher burn-in and LCD image retention is that a badly burned CRT is a goner, but LCD panels can usually work out the image memory with additional use, and you really have to abuse them in the first place, leaving fixed, high-contrast images on screen for extended periods of time.

-Dean.

Comment

• Glen
        • Dec 2003

Thanks Bent, Dean

That makes sense.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

And from the world of extremes -

We install PJs (primarily LCD) in theme parks where they run 14-18 hours a day. We have seen instances where the PJ is showing a static image 40-80% of the time, you get burn-in. We are able to reverse it, but it comes right back with those useage patterns. We have never had a problem with it when using changing imagery, even where it is repeated a lot.

This should be at the very bottom of the list of concerns when choosing PJ technology IMO.

BB

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"