X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barona
    • Jan 2003

who uses a video processor?

Just as the question states, I'm looking to go with a front projector (probably LCD) in the next year and was wondering if this is something I also need to save for. I currently have the RSP-1066 and will be running the following:

HD Sat. -either with DVI or component out(I also need to get one of these)

regular sat.- component out (as I've read some V.P.'s utilize side by side PIP) and I currently have one with Ultimate TV and would like to keep it instead of switching to TiVo

panasonic progressive single DVD player with faroudja chip (I figure this is pretty good to hang on to

pioneer 101 cd disc changer - composite out (it has OSD for viewing titles)

**I also may add the sony DVPCX985V 400 DVD/SACD changer to further add CD's and non-critical viewing DVD's

With so many video feeds and typically only one video input for the projector, would the 1066 cause any loss in PQ?? should I step up to the 1098 if that would help, should I save for a video processor or does this all depend on what projector I get it??

Thanks for any help
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Barona, I don't know anything about the RSP 1066. But if you're buying anything in the latest batches of lcd projectors, most all have excellent onboard scalers and deinterlacers. Some even have two sets of component inputs. So I guess a lot depends on the PJ you intend to buy. But frankly, I doubt if a video processor is necessary, unless of course you plan on going with a crt front projector. If not, then I'd just forget about adding a video processor.

Also most of the newer PJs have a DVI input. Just be sure it is HDCP ( high def copy protection). And if the deinterlacer is better on the dvd player, you can use it rather than the Pj's.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

Good points George.
      I'll just add that most affordable external video processors are mostly for scaling from lower quality video sources (VHS/DSS/LD) and the really cheap ones are no better than the average internal scalers in older projectors. Older, high-end external scalers originally cost many times more than a whole modern digital projector (often with a comparable internal scaler).

It's quite likey that the price of buying a super cheap older digital projector and an external scaler is actually higher than getting a newer projector with a higher quality internal scaler, and the newer projector probably would be higher resolution and have better contrast, brightness, longer bulb life, etc.

I do use an Immersive H3D PC scaler card, but it was cheaper for me to upgrade to the scaler from my regular HTPC because I already had a couple projectors, which both have so-so internal scaling. And I have multiple video input sources (VHS, LD, video games). My HD and DSS input is through the VGA output of my RCA DTC100 set top box.

But I would take a simpler path (just buying a projector with a better scaler) if I were buying new today.

-Dean.

Comment

• barona
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for your advice guys, I appreciate it

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Well put, Dean.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"