Boxlight/Studio stops production of Matinee 2HD at 50 units... Hmmmm... Maybe not!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Boxlight/Studio stops production of Matinee 2HD at 50 units... Hmmmm... Maybe not!

Unfortunately Boxlight has stopped production of the 2HD at 50 units. They claim that they can not compete with the Sanyo Z2 and be profitable.

However, they do plan on introducing a replacement model at CES in January 2004 that will compete to the Z2. No other info is available at this time.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get a 2HD (although I don't know that I might rather have whatever the new model will be).

There are a few dealers that ordered more units than they had pre-orders for and those units will obviously surface but the price could be higher than expected with only 50 units produced.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

So you managed to snag one of the 50! These'll be collectors items for sure Tell you what, if you want I'd do an even swap of my 1HD for your 2HD if it'll help you sleep at night

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

lol Andrew.... the only problem with that is you probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night then.

You see, if I don't sleep at night I'll just take off work and sleep during the day. :P

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well it looks like the front projector market is becoming a dog's breakfast for manufacturers. And it's just beginning, Will we see front projectors in the $500 category soon ?

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          Well it looks like the front projector market is becoming a dog's breakfast for manufacturers.
          Reminds me of the opening sequence of a Cheers episode where Norm walks into the bar, everyone yells "Norm" and Woody asks "How's it going Mr. Peterson?" and he replies "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milkbone shorts."

Back in the real world, the good news is: projector prices are dropping precipitously. The bad news is: that is discouraging manufacturers from offering product.

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          Will we see front projectors in the $500 category soon ?
          Actually, someone on "another forum" reported buying a new projector for less than $500 (something like $350). They said the new projector cost less than a replacement bulb for their old projector. Of course, it was just a 800 by 600, but at that price, what the hey. :>) That may have been a "close out" special, but it did show where prices are headed.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Some mfgrs may indeed stop producing, but there are always others who can find ways to reduce costs and meet the competition. It's certainly going to be an interesting scenario to watch. Imagine, a projector for every room.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Well we all know how good Runco PJ's have been over the years. Considered one of the elites. They've had some of the highest priced PJ's available at as much as $89K. They teamed up with TI and introduced one of the first (if not the first) DLP with the Matterhorn chipset technology. This allowed Runco to offer a more affordable line of PJ's (I suppose $6-7K is affordable when compared to $69-89K).

Boxlight is supposed to introduce a DLP with the Matterhorn technology at CES in 1/04 and it is suggested that it will compete with the Z2/2HD pricing. While this isn't $500 it sure puts the possibility of a really nice quality PJ down around the everyday mans affordability range.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Yeah, Sonnie, and after Boxlight brings out a low priced Matterhorn, some other mfgr will bring out a low priced Mustang chip. Isn't home theater fun ?

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• cofn
                  • Dec 2002

Damn, this is really crappy news, this was going to be next years upgrade for me. Hell I just logged in to say that AVSDEALS has the 2HD listed for $2749cnd and ships on Dec 11th, but I guess that won't be happening.

Oh well, guess I will be looking at the Z2 next year.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

Actually they might have a few of the 50 units that were produced. They should be getting them in a few days so ship date of 12/11 would be about right.

Call them.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I will be calling them.
                      If they don't come through, there going to get one of these..:nutkick:

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Studio has now announced they will introduce the Matinee 2HD at CES so I suppose this means they will continue with production. They will have another 50 units available at the end of December.

You should have no problems getting your unit Trev.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Interesting news indeed sonnie

Comment

• Energeezer
                            • Sep 2002

I've a question re the Z2 that is a little off topic.
                            After seeing Andrews Z1 I was impressed with the image this budget PJ produces. The one caveat for me was the screendoor. While I did not find it obnoxious I did notice it.
                            So I was wondering if anyone has compared the Z2 to the Z1 and how much it's increased pixel density has improved this aspect of the image.
                            I would also be interested to hear how it compares to the DLP HD2 chips in screendoor.
                            Steve
                            Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Good news, Sonnie!

Steve, I know that the Z2/2HD is supposed to be better in terms of screendoor, but I don't know quantitatively how much. I don't think that DLP has screendoor. Rainbows are the typical problem there.

One of my only hesitations with going with an LCD projector is the "news" claim that came out recently about LCD light degradation over time. Here's the thread about it.

CHRIS
                              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• efarstad
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jun 2001

I spoke with a rep at ProjectorPeople, who also owns the Z1 like me...and he has seen the new Z2/2HD and he said it virually has no SDE until you are about 4' from the screen....and noone sits that close! Basically he said it's identical in performance to the Z1/1HD but with higher resolution, and of course a HDCP/DVI input. So it all depends on your input needs and seating distance or sensitivity to the SDE.

Hope that helps!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I just found this comparison review of the Z2 and Panasonic L500. I'll post it in another new post, too, but one of the things they say in there is that SDE is not a problem with either of these units.

CHRIS
                                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Energeezer
                                    • Sep 2002

I
                                    spoke with a rep at ProjectorPeople, who also owns the Z1 like me...and he has seen the new Z2/2HD and he said it virually has no SDE until you are about 4' from the screen....and noone sits that close! Basically he said it's identical in performance to the Z1/1HD but with higher resolution, and of course a HDCP/DVI input. So it all depends on your input needs and seating distance or sensitivity to the SDE.

Hope that helps!

E
                                    E
                                    Thats great news. Now adding Z2 to my short list of qualifing PJs when I come to replace my Marquee and if I deceide to replace with a digital.

I don't think that DLP has screendoor. Rainbows are the typical problem there.
                                    Chris
                                    Someone correct me if I am wrong but to my knowlege DLP exhibits screendoor albiet less than LCD due to a higher fill factor. (assuming equal resolution) The DLPs X1, IF 7200 both had some screendoor however the 7200 was minimal.
                                    So my take on the game is that LCD requires a higher resolution (than DLP) to exhibit equal amount of screendoor.
                                    Steve

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

That's what I'd always heard about screendoor and rainbow. Mutually exclusive on different pj types, namely lcd vs dlp. Rainbow on DLP can be minimized with ADDITIONAL color wheels. But with one color wheel, you'll almost always have a problem with it. Two and three wheel pj's get much higher in price. Well they have in the past at least.

The future of dlp for "the rest of us" rests in my opinion, on the ability to introduce multple color wheel dlps at much more competitive pricing.

lex
                                      Doug
                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Yeah, you can see pixels on dlp, but as stated, there is a higher fill factor over lcd so screendoor is rarely an issue unless you want to sit within a couple of feet of the screen. With my XGA NEC I can start to see pixel structure at about 7 feet on an 52 x 92" screen. Sitting at 13 feet I can honestly say I don't see any screendoor. As for the color wheel thing. I suppose that is a problem for some people, but they are in the minority. But because of it, ( rainbows) it is a good idea to watch delp before you buy, and watch it for an entire movie if possible, because the color flashing only occurs under certain circumstances.

Lex, I think you are referring to 3 panels rather than color wheels. The newer 3 chip dlp units, priced at $25K and up don't use a color wheel as each dmd panel is dedicated to either red, green or blue, similar to 3 panel lcd projectors.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

I just received shipping confirmation that my Matinee 2 HD
                                          is on it's way to Toon-Town!!
                                          :hump:

Trevor
                                          My HomeTheater S.E.
                                          Sonically Enhanced
                                          C5
                                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                            • Jan 2002

That's great news Trev. I got mine a few days ago and have been reading the manual. I can hardly wait for the HT room to get ready so I can get the 2HD in use.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"