The Studio Experience Matinee 2HD (Sanyo PLV-Z2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

The Studio Experience Matinee 2HD (Sanyo PLV-Z2)

Man it just keeps on getting better and better for a guy on a budget to get into a decent front projo.I'd like to see how this puppy performs.Looks decent on paper.
    Here's some info:

The Studio Experience Matinee 2HD is a new “price/performance” leader for home theater projectors. With a price close to $2000, Studio Experience has created a home theater that is a significant upgrade from the very successful Matinee 1HD.

This model is truly a breakthrough and fills a niche that customers have wanted for a while. To find a projector that will outperform the 2HD, you will need to spend at least twice as much. The 2HD all but eliminates the dreaded “screen door effect” found on LCD projectors. The 2HD has WXGA (1280x720) resolution which is a big step up from the 1HD. You would have to spend a lot more to get that those kind of specs. It is an excellent home theater projector with a high 1300:1 contrast ratio and 800 lumens.

Another cool feature is the horizontal and vertical lens shift. By simply moving two knobs on the projector, you can optically shit the image position. This is important because it won’t cause image distortion like digital keystone correction.

If you are just getting into a home theater with front projection, then the 2HD should be on your short list. For the money, nothing can touch it. If you want a projector with sharp resolution, excellent color and small price point this is the way to go.

IMPRESSIVE 1300:1 CONTRAST RATIO
    Through use of its High-Contrast Optical System the 2HD delivers an impressive contrast ratio of 1300:1. In addition, Auto Grey Scale and Auto Flesh-tone functions, a selectable Color Temperature option, and 10-bit Digital Gamma Correction for fine tone reproduction all combine to produce incredibly lifelike, high-quality images.

PERFECT FOR DVD AND HIGH DEFINITION VIEWING
    The 2HD’s wide 16:9 aspect ratio along with it’s (1280x720) resolution HD-proportional panels, Progressive Scan and 3-2 Pulldown system for DVD playback make it the perfect match for viewing 16:9 widescreen DVD movies (480i, 480p) and HDTV (720p, 1035i, 1080i) format programs.

EASY SETUP
    Offering a wider range of vertical and horizontal lens shift than its predecessors, along with vertical keystone correction (+/- 20°) and a short zoom lens (100” diagonal image at 9.8’-13.1’), the 2HD is easy to setup for most any application.

A VARIETY OF INPUT OPTIONS
    The 2HD is equipped to accept a variety of input sources including Computer, Component Video, Composite Video, S-Video, and PC High Definition up to 1080i. The DVI-I input is High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) compliant, allowing for viewing of HDCP encrypted source material.

WHISPER QUIET FAN
    Employing STUDIO EXPERIENCE’s Whisper Quiet fan technology, the 2HD produces an amazingly low noise level of only 24 dBA (theater black mode).

Aspect Ratio : 16:9 Native
    Brightness : 800 lumens
    Colors : 16.7 million
    Contrast Ratio : 1300:1
    Dimensions : 14.1'''' x 10.8'''' x 3.8''''
    HDTV Compatibility : 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
    Keystone Correction : Vertical +/-20%, plus Vertical and Horizontal Lens Shift
    Lamp Life : 2000 hours
    Native Resolution : WXGA (1280x720)
    Power : 100-120 VAC/200-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
    Standard Warranty : 3 year limited, parts and labor, Dead Pixel Warranty
    Video Standards : NTSC, NTSC 4.43, PAL, SECAM, PAL60, PAL-M, PAL-N, YCbCr
    Weight : 7.5 lbs.

• Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

No doubt it will be a winner. I like what I'm reading about the Z2 and when you can get better service and warranty ta boot with the 2HD, well, it makes for a real sweetness.

I've posted it elsewhere but the release date is slated for 12/1/03. It will be interesting to see what the prices do with the Z2 hangin' in at around $1900 street price.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sign me up!!

Sounds like a winner to me!!
      I will definately have to jump all over this
      like as soon as they are available!! :T

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

In Da House!!!:yesnod:

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

That's a banana for sure. :banana:

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

IN DA HOUSE here too! But not operational just yet.

I bet yours is under the Christmas tree huh Trev?

Mine is sitting here in a box behind me in the study. Sheetrock still needs one more coat of mud before progress can really resume on the HT room.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Upgrading already, to a 2 projector home. I'll have the ViewSonic 4:3 pj I have now, and the new 2HD likely sometime just after the first of the year. It's ordered, and just waiting for it to ship from Sanyo to Studio Experience around Dec 29-30, then hopefully shipped out to me just after Jan 1. This represents a major upgrade in lines of resolution for my 16:9 material which of course is the majority of what I use it for. I may start using the ViewSonic a lot more for TV, as well as when I turn on a movie I don't care so much about quality. Why not?

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Welcome to the 2 HD club Lex!

Two PJ's... ;x(

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Yes, now I do have 2 HD's, haha.

Up off the ground soldier, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

I understand from a reliable source my 2HD has shipped! Could I have a banana?

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Gee its a Studio Experience love in thread...are us lowly 1HD owners allowed in too?

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Sure Andrew, why not? The 1HD made it all possible!

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Well, I can't let Lex out-do me. Guess I'll have to add a third projector to my set-up. :twisted:

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                          Sheetrock still needs one more coat of mud before progress can really resume on the HT room.
                          I thought mud was what they used to build things in New Mexico ("adobe"). Oh, I get it -- L.A. really stands for Living in Albuquerque... :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Lex the Upgrade King of the Day
                            I understand from a reliable source my 2HD has shipped! Could I have a banana?
                            Most certainly, oh exalted cable one. :banana:

CHRIS
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

There ya go. George, your just bad, really bad. I'm going for 3 by next year sometime.

Lex
                              Doug

Comment

• Preacherman
                                • Jan 2004

Hello all,
                                I am new to HTGuide. I am very impressed with the knowledge floating through these forums. And, I hope to not tarnish that image... :LOL:

I am about completely convinced to get the Z2 and the 106" Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol electric screen with High Contrast Matte White surface. (almost) (concerns are: lumens issues and ambient light) However, this site has covered that nicely.

Btw: First question- Am I corect in thinking the 2HD and the Z2 are the same. If so why buy 2HD and not the Z2?

Glad to be amongst you all

Deacon

Check out - www.dvdprofiler.com
                                My Collection
                                Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Deacon, welcome to the forum! Thanks for the kind words as well. As chief cook and bottle washer here, it means a lot to hear that from folks.

I happen to be one of the happy new 2HD owners. Your right in your comment that it is indeed the same machine as the Z2. A primary difference is, Studio Experience (www.studioexperience.com) here after referred to as "SE" warranties their projectors for 3 full years, instead of 2. As you may know by now, it's quite common for other companies to re-market major players projectors. That's simply based on a manufacturer's desire that well if we don't sell you a projector, we'd like for us to sell it to you and then they don't have to service it!

Right now, the big thing is availability. Neither have been particularly available. But between the two, the Z2 is by far the more available unit. SE only produced 50 units in their first shipment and there was some debate about whether additional units would be available at all, at least partially perhaps based upon Sanyo's ability to keep up with Z2 orders alone! That's speculative on my part, but maybe so.

Don't get to caught up in the Lumens thing. At 800 lumens, this projector is easily as bright as my 1500 lumens ViewSonic. I'm currently running in Cinema mode, and do not have the brightness dialed up and trust me, you have 2 settings to do that at least. I use a Carada Classic White screen, and I'd invite you to take a look at their products. It's a great screen. (http://www.carada.com)

But regardless of screen choice, you should be very happy with either projector you can get. Some are recommending the grey screens now with the Z2. But I'm still not sure that's the right choice. I'm sure it's not if your concerned about ambient light and don't plan to run more in the dark than in the light.

I'm happy with the image on my classic white, whether dark or with ambient light pretty much. Of course, a pj will always perform best in the dark environment.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                  Doug

Comment

• Preacherman
                                    • Jan 2004

Lex,
                                    Thanks for the response. The screen issue I am still up in the air about (gray or white). And, thank you (a lot) for the info on the lumens, that has been my greatest concern especially buying my first projector sight unseen. There aren’t any projector showrooms in the Orlando area to do any sort of comparison shopping. Right now I am trying to get a good figure of what cables to run. I have been trying to find them bundled together (however that is for another thread).

Btw - the Z2 from Nationalprojector.com is at $1945.00 and no tax if your not in Oregon.

Deacon

My Collection
                                    Bruce

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Deacon- Interesting... Oregon doesn't have sales tax. So I guess that means no sales tax for anybody, huh? Cool.

CHRIS
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

I believe what he was saying was, the business is in Oregon, so as long as you aren't, then no tax. But if you are an Oregon resident, you pay tax.

Your welcome for the assist Deacon.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                        Doug

Comment

• Brandon B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jun 2001

But Chris is right, Oregon doesn't have a state sales tax. Doesn't make sense.

BB

Comment

• Preacherman
                                            • Jan 2004

OK...OK....My $.02

I am in Florida..If I was to buy it from ProjectorPeople (located in Tampa) I have to pay tax. $1999 for Z2+ $885 for screen around $200 in tax and whatever shipping would be.

However if I buy from NationalProjector (in Oregon) it's $1945 + $885 + shipping = pocketing $200 (for cables..maybe) 8O

And Lex...thanks for the assist

Deacon

Deacon

My Collection
                                            Bruce

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Ah, yeah... the only reason I mention is that this may come up with people dealing with Oregon or New Hampshire. Those states (and others that I may not be aware of) do not charge sales tax for their residents, which is one of the reasons why I'm currently declared as an Oregon resident while I'm in the military. (Oregon also doesn't charge income tax for military members stationed outside of Oregon, which is nice, too)

Companies within tax-free states may nor may not charge sales tax for customers located in other states, at the customer's local tax rate. You'll have to check with them.

So in this case, it appears that anyone dealing with Nationalprojector.com does not have to pay sales tax! (local Oregon residents charged tax at a 0% rate) That's A-ok in my book.

CHRIS
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"