• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Practical FPTV Screen size..?

Hi!,
    I was just measuring up the size of screen I would go with.
    The two chioces I had are as follows.

92"Diagnol (45"x80")
    106" Diagnol (52"x92")

Of course my first choice is the 106". This will actually completely cover my Entertainment unit which is 94" wide,2 inches wider than the screen size width. The screen would be mounted directly from the ceiling in front of the Entertainment unit.

However,,would this be too big of a screen to veiw with the seating area at 16 feet away from the screen.?
    Would the 92" be more practical?

Is there a certain height limit from the ground to the bottom of the screen that should be allowed?

I would also need to go with a THX acoustically treated screen which is made of the Micro-perf material since my center channel would need to be behind the screen.

Thanks,

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Trevor,

You don't mention what projector you're planning on using- this is a big factor, based on light output.

There are different opinions about the relationship between screen size and viewing distance, (generally, for widescreen, 2 to 3 screen widths away) but you also want to consider how many footlamberts you can put on the screen. For that reason, I've always tended towards smaller screens than some might initially pick, because of the difference in maximum light level and contrast.

Bill Cushman, who has written for TPV and Widescreen, likes to see close to 20 fl on the screen, as this is just short of when the eye's iris will start to close down in a darkened room, because it's getting as much light as it needs.

What projector are you using or considering?

Personally, I'd go with the smaller screen- but YMMV. I also like the DA-LITE Hi Power, whereas many folks these days seem to think gray screens are the cat's meow. I don't think they're the right way to address the problem of LCD contrast ratio, though.

Lastly, perf screens work pretty well with CRT, and OK with DLP, but tend to have problems with some other digital projection technologies because of moire patterns forming between the screen perf grid and the native grid of the projector. For me, I've found phantom center channel to work better than a center channle mispositioned, but my "mains" have very wide lateral dispersion through a wide frequency range- so they work better than some at that task.

I hope these inputs have given you food for thought- have fun getting your FPTV setup going- it's a blast when it's done, even more so when it's done right. In the long run, you're the only one to determine that, anyway.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

In my case I am using a 52 x 92 inch Da-Lite 1.1 gain matte white screen. My Sony VPL400 projector ,though rated for 400 ANSI lumens, is probably in reality somewhere around 2to300 ANSI lumens and lights up the screen nicely. I don't know how many foot lamberts that is, but it seems as bright as the local cinema. I have total control over lighting as the room is dedicated to front projection. The room's measurements are: 12ft wide at the front, 14ft wide at the rear, and the room is 18ft from front to rear. We sit about 14 feet from the screen and there are no visible scan lines or pixel structure.The bottom of the screen is two feet up from the floor, and this seems quite comfortable for us.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Not sure of what projector to invest in as of yet.
        I am getting so much different advice its starting to get confusing.

Originally I had my eye on a Sony 11HT LCD or the Sharp 9000 DLP but have heard nothing but how these two formats are still very premature and have not nearly reached there potentials..
        however the CRT has been recommended by many as it is a technology that has maxed to it's prime.

I do want something that will last and satisfy for many years.
        With technology still fresh on the DLP and LCD units ,,I may be tempted too soon to upgrade as the technology is improved..

Still researching and open to ideas.

I figured the Microperf screen was my only option as the screen will drop in front of my current RPTV in which my center channel sits on the top.
        As you mentioned it does effect the picture quality, so this is not a good thing.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

It's pretty hard to beat crt,Trevor, but more and more enthusiasts are turning to digital due to ease of use. I still have my first projector, a Zenith crt and use it for 4:3 viewing. The blacks are definitely deeper on a crt,but after 3 years of watching widescreen movies on the Sony VPL400, I find that I am less and less bothered by that.I have also heard that the new Sharp Z9000 is being compared to crts in the black level department, but can't verify that because there isn't a dealer in this neck of the woods that is carrying the new Sharp.I also understand it's quite expensive as far as Cdn bucks go--somewhere in the $14,000 to $15,000 range, which is way overpriced in my book.

If you do decide to go the crt route, you should be prepared to learn to do certain things yourself like convergence as this is usually a must at least once or twice a year.I also understand there are some really good buys in the used market, especially Sateside. Best of luck in which ever way you decide to go.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thanks George!,
            The Sharp can be found for $12,500 in Canada.

As far as convergeance goes, this is already a task that is performed with the current RPTV. However I could imagine the CRT convergeance could be much more difficult to calibrate.

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Wireless
              • Feb 2001

I have the 52x92 Dalite matte white and sit 10.5' away. Sitting this close, and using a digital projector, showed screen door more than I would have liked so I added an anamorphic lens. The lens allowed me to use the full panel resolution and increased brightness by about 33%. I believe in theory I'm getting about 24 ft lambers.

CRT will give you the best picture when combined with a good scaler. I don't think the 106" is too big, but it depends on the resolution of the projector and the quality of the scaler/HTPC you use. The bigger issue may be the center channel placement. Is it possible to place it on the floor in front of your TV?

I really can't stress enough, choose the projector first and then choose the appropriate screen. Take a look at as many projection technologies as you can because each person reacts differently to rainbows, screen door, or scan lines.

Stewart or one of the other screen manufacturers can recommend the appropriate screen based on your set up, room dimensions, existing wall colors, and projector.

I believe the bigger the screen the more the cinematic experience. You just have to make sure that your screen, projector, source, and scaler will minimize flaws when the image is blown up that big.

John
              My HT Picts
              John
              My HT Picts

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

That's good advice,John.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"