X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If Only It Was Mine. . . .

My company is setting up a "visualization" room for sub-surface modeling, etc. They are using 4 of the following FPs in 2 double-stacks:
    1. ProjectionDesign F1
    and at $12,500 each, 3000 lumens each, that's a lot of DLP power.
    Sheesh, I can only imagine what The Two Towers would look like in there. :drool:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

3000 lumens in a darkened room... holy shmoly, you'd need sunglasses.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
      My company is setting up a "visualization" room for sub-surface modeling, etc. The are using 4... in two double stacks... 3000 lumens each...
      That's 12,000 lumens. (Geez, you could probably project onto black felt with that and still get a viewable image.) :>) Maybe they need that kind of light to see below the earth's surface. :>) Looks like even just ONE of those beauties would work well in an HT. (And one replacement bulb would be a lot easier to cope with than having to pay for four.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Being a spatial geek what software are you guys running to do the modeling?

Comment

• Dean McManis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • May 2003

It must be a heck of a big screen, or lots of open windows to need 12K lumens!

Comment

• Energeezer
            • Sep 2002

May I suggest a high gain curved screen to concentrate the lumens on thine eyes. 8O

Seriously though I'll bet it'll be great for presentations but the light spill in dark video scenes will be obnoxious. Can you say black = light grey.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
            The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Actually, I played with one of those at home (the F1 SXGA rebadged as a Christie DS30, $14K) for a weekend. While its high resolution was nice, it's color performance and black level were very poor in high brightness (3000 lumen) mode. Switched to its more HT friendly mode (1900), it was better, but still put out a noticeably inferior picture to my PJ (PLV70) except for resolution. Pretty sure I posted here at HTG about it.

This was all through the DVI input, which may not have been optimized for HT but more for data. My component run ends in BNC so I couldn't check that.

They have a new unit that is very similar but HT-targetted called the Action! which is alleged to be much better PQ-wise.

BB

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I doubt they are to worried about bulb cost, coughing up right at 50 grand for the PJs alone. It is interesting that they need 4 for this!

All 4 projecting the same image, or will it be overlays or what? I don't even know how the image would react with 4 pjs projecting.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"