X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheHound
    • Oct 2004

Contrast vs Lumens

Guys and Gals,

I am in the market for a new LCD projector. My old projector was/is a Sharp XV-H37VUAP LCD. I love it very much but I’ve got the upgrade bug. I have it narrowed down to three (Sanyo Z3, Panasonic AE700 and the Sony HS51) but I want to get your opinion first. What is more important? A high contrast level or high lumens? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

The Hound

P.S. The light level in my room can be controlled.
  • Chaz7
    • Aug 2004

Even though you can have impressive numbers on each, it is impossible to judge a projector by it's specsheets alone. Now, I've touted the Yamaha LPX-510 as one of the very best (if not the best). But you can read some reviews, www.audioholics.com, or Widescreen Review. I have seen projectors claiming 4000:1 contrast ratios look absolutely hideous. And as far as lumens, take the LPX-510. It's rated at 1000 ANSI lumens, yet it looks the most accurate and film like adjusted to 350-400. Also, since your 37 was a 4:3 model, you will want to change to a 16:9 screen. Now, some of the best for LCD (and DLP for that matter) are gray, like the Firehawk or Grayhawk by Stewart. They in turn increase your black levels. For controlled lighting though, you will probably be satisfied with a projector rated between 1000-1200 ANSI (Any Number Somebody Insinuates). Properly adjusted, you will be well below those numbers. Contrast ratio, see what a reviewer says about how well it actually performs. We just want the best black levels we can achieve.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"