Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

BENQ PB2220 DLP

Thoughts on this one?

On paper the BENQ PB 2220 looks great..

Key Features

DLP™ Technology, Superior Picture Quality
    Native Resolution - 1024X768, Compatible up to 1280X1024
    1700ANSI - Superior brightness, clarity, and color reproduction.
    2000:1 Ultra-High Contrast Ratio - Deilvers a sharper image with deeper colors.
    P-Scan - Progressive Scan technology for improved picture clarity.
    4:3 / 16:9 Selectable screen format
    Intelligent Cooling System - Dynamically controlled fans ensure reliable performance at all times.
    HDTV Compatible - 720P or 1080I and a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio.
    Wide-Angle lens allows for a large image even in smaller sized board rooms.
    Full function intelligent remote control with built-in laser pointer and wireless mouse.
    RS232 Control Port
    3-Year Limited Warranty, Reliability Guaranteed.
    Free 1st year Xpress Xchange Service

$2,199 USA

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hey Trev!!
    I like it!
    Looks like a good one!:T
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Looks like a nice one Trevor. Something interesting I did read on resolution this week though. Food for thought.

1024 X 768 is nice resolution. However, the negative to this? Depending upon the source, higher pixel count can actually downgrade overall image quality. 800 X 600 for example, doesn't have as many pixels, and thus the image is more fused together, thus, clearer, though less resolution image.

Any projector is as good as it's source. 480P and up is nice. HDTV is beautiful. But get down to cable grade signals, and what I am saying really shows up.

It's an interesting take on resolution anyway. Also, don't be fooled, 800 X 600 can look damn good at the right screen distances. But 2100 is reasonable.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Looks ok but pricey for what you're getting. 1024 * 768 seems nice for 4:3 but for 16:9 its no better then what I have with my 1/4 HD LCD panels in my 1HD and its about 1/2 the price. Its contrast looks nice though if it meets those numbers

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Lex,,

Well, Taking a closer look at it on the website, It looks like it doesn't have the component inputs,,That would be no good! BAD!!! in other words.

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Trev, it has to have something to be HD, either DVI, Component, VGA. VGA is likely, which would mean a VGA breakout cable to go from component to VGA.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Features are similar to my NEC but for a lot less money. Off the top I'd guess it to be a pretty darn good PJ for the money.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Knowing the king of overkill, I would suggest you wait and consider either the new Sony hs20 or the new Sanyo z2.

The z2 is dlp 1280 x720 and the hs20 is lcd at 1366x768. Both are going to be a little more money than $2100 but its only like $1k more tops.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Shane are you sure the Z2 is A DLP machine?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

My Apologies its LCD with 1280 x720
                    Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector specs, projector reviews and current street prices.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                      Looks like a nice one Trevor. Something interesting I did read on resolution this week though. Food for thought.

1024 X 768 is nice resolution. However, the negative to this? Depending upon the source, higher pixel count can actually downgrade overall image quality. 800 X 600 for example, doesn't have as many pixels, and thus the image is more fused together, thus, clearer, though less resolution image.
                      Lex, I'm very curious to hear where you read this. I've NEVER heard someone say that more pixels can downgrade image quality. Isn't that the whole purpose of higher resolution, to provide finer image detail?

As for the BenQ projector itself, notice that 1024x768 is a 4:3 native projector, so as Andrew points out and as we've discussed elsewhere, you are not using full pixel resolution to display a 16:9 image. I'm still set on buying an XGA ***WIDESCREEN*** native projector.

CHRIS
                      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Features are similar to my NEC but for a lot less money. Off the top I'd guess it to be a pretty darn good PJ for the money.
                        Hey George!
                        Which NEC do you have?

Knowing the king of overkill,
                        Shane.
                        If only you knew!
                        Anyways, Good to see that you still have a pulse..It's been a while! :P

I'm still set on buying an XGA ***WIDESCREEN*** native projector.
                        So what resolution specs should one be looking for to ensure we have a true 16x9 XGA?

Trevor
                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                        Sonically Enhanced
                        C5
                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Trevor- I've started a new thread about projector resolutions and widescreen vs. standard.

FWIW, I've also seen recently that BenQ is about to put out a new PJ that is native widescreen and supposed to be fantastic (can't remember specs), but I think it was over $12K. PB8700 or something like that???

CHRIS
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Thanks Chris, I found your thread.
                            As for the $12,000..Too much $ for this timeframe as the technology is experiencing rapid growth in preformance and improvements, features, etc.

Trevor
                            My HomeTheater S.E.
                            Sonically Enhanced
                            C5
                            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Trevor,
                              I own the NEC HT 1000 dlp. It is 1024 x 768 4:3 panel, but because it has such high contrast and good blacks there is really no noticable lightspill when setup in the 16:9 configuration, as I have with mine. I purchased it over a Infocus 7200 which has the true widescreen 1280 x 720 because there wasn't that great a noticable difference to my eyes, yet the NEC was better than half the price of the Infocus. Now having said that, I know that anyone who will be watching a lot of high-definition tv will certainly want to opt for the 1280 x 720 resolution pjs, whether they be dlp, lcd D-ila or what have you.

I actually went from a native widescreen panel ( my Sony VPL 400 lcd) to a 4:3 but only because I knew it wasn't an issue with the NEC. I can't say the same for some of the other 4:3 dlp Pjs. Now a lot of dlps are coming out with the Matterhorn chip which is called native widescreen, meaning the panel has a 16:9 shape ( rather than 4:3) and the 1024 x 768 becomes 1024 x 576 (?) I believe, which is the resolution of my NEC when setup in 16:9 mode. There is no noticable lightspill with the NEC, but the Matterhorn chip should have ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHT SPILL because the dmd chip itself is 16:9. These new Matterhorn models are quite reasonably priced as compared to the native widescreen dlp PJs which are still way over priced in the thousands for we pooor Canadians.

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Claude D D
                                • Jan 2003

I've been helping the local Compusmart's here in Edmonton set up their HTPC front projo rooms.

The West end store has a Infocus X1 ana a BenQ PB8120 DLP Projector.
                                They are also hooked up to a Bell Express Vu S6000 HDTV receiver.
                                Ghosting was a problem on the Benq,but I suspect it is do to low quality no sheilded cables(new cables on order).The X1 looks much better than the Benq that has a $1000 higher price tag.

The geometry is bang on on the X1.The Benq has some bowing on the bottom.The X1 is also sharper,cleaner picture,better contrast and has more natural colors.

The 40' component cables will be ready tomorrow so we'll get to see how the HDTV looks on the Benq at the south side store.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Interesting find Claude.
                                  Sounds like the X1 is better in every aspect
                                  vs the BenQ.
                                  I am realizing the BenQ was made specifically for
                                  an office projector VS HT use.
                                  The Dell 3200MP falls into the same pit, based on the reviews
                                  I was able to read.

George,,
                                  Thanks for the info on the Matterhorn chip.
                                  I had come across that chip with the Infocus Screenplay 5700.
                                  The Matterhorn chip is used in that FPTV and the native resolution
                                  is listed as 1024 x 576.
                                  That explains why.
                                  BTW,,How many FPTV's do you have?? 8)

Trevor
                                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                                  Sonically Enhanced
                                  C5
                                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Just to verbalize, one of the reasons the Matterhorn chip was designed or put into production is to provide the SAME resolution that people are getting from a 4:3 XGA projector (1024x768) when used to view widescreen 16:9 material, utilizing only 1024x576 pixels. I think the Matterhorn chips, being the latest in technology, just puts out a great picture in those pixels.

CHRIS
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

As far as I know George has three PJ's in his room, the NEC 1000, Sony 400Q and an older Zenith? CRT

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

It's now down to 2 PJs, guys. I gave my old crt to my son. I still have the Sony lcd mounted high on the back wall. The NEC is on the lower shelf of a table that's positioned between the two main seating area chairs. If I have guests that are bothered by dlp rainbows or headaches, I can fire up the Sony. I have to admit , though, that it is hard using the Sony over the NEC. The NEC has a softer, more filmlike picture and the contrast is a knockout. It really grows on you and I really can't see any reason to upgrade. This is the first time that I can remember being so truly happy with a given projector.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Hey, George, I just read in Audio Video Interiors today some very good praise for the HT1000, and that NEC has dropped the retail price on the 1000 by $500!!!!

CHRIS
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Thanks, Chris, I subscribe to AV Interiors so it should be in the mail now. Yeah, NEC did drop the price, too. For awhile they were offering a $500 rebate or a panamorph type lens that would allow full use of all mirrors in the panel when viewing anamorphic widescreen material.

My Homepage!
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"