X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cofn
    • Dec 2002

Studio Expressions 1HD Demo/Impressions

Hey all,

This past Tuesday I was given the oppertunity to visit Andrew Pratt, and take a little demo of his HT, most importantly the 1HD, as we are in the market for a FP sometime in the next month.

Now my wife and I have never seen a FP, so I don't have anything at all to compare this unit too. But one thing is for certian. If there was any dount in my wifes, or my mind if we wanted a FP, that doubt is now gone.

The screen size was in the mid 90's (96" I think, correct me if I am wrong) It was a home made screen and looked fantastic. But I am getting ahead of myself. I will come back to the screen later.

The 1HD itself gave an amazing picture, a 96" screen is a little overwhelming compared to my old 62" RCA. The brightness/contrast was great. One of my main concerns with FP that I have read is that black are seldom dark enough. To my eyes that was not the case. We demo'd Episode 2 for about 15 mins. Corusant was alive with color and the 1HD did a great job on all fronts. Crisp and clean. Bright and vibrant. Blacks were very black.

There was only one instance when I think I may hve seen the dreaded screen door effect, but it was extremely brief. (When Obi-wan is lecturing Anikin on politics) I saw it, but my wife did not, and in all fairness I was sitting about 3 feet closer than she was, so I attribute it to my seating position, more than the 1HD.

We also had a few minute look at the new release of Lion King. This also showed off the colors quite nicely, very bright and vibrant as well. Crisp and clear all the way. No screen door or any flaws that I saw.

Another concern I have had about FP is fan noise. From what I read the 1HD is pretty low on the DB scale as far as noise is concerned. I have to agree, I didn't hear a peep out of it during any of our watching.

Next up, the screen. During Star Wars Andrew pulled out about 6 - 7 samples of screen material he had been looking into, and held them up to his screen so we could look at the difference between a home made screen and a manufactured one. Now I cant remeber the names of any the fabric we tested, but there was only 2 that my wife and I thought produced a slightly better picture. And I do mean slight, they were both grey material, so the blacks were a little darker, and the whites a little brightrer. But from what Andrew mentioned about the price of the material ($18 a sq foot and up) it hardly seemed worth the expense of the high end material. The other matrials we tested were either identical in color/black level, and a few of the samples looked worse, they washed the blacks out and made them a little greyish.

We are definitely building our own screen when the time comes after seeing how good a home made one looks. I am already getting presured from my wife to build it before we get our FP.

After seeing the 1HD in action, we are definitely reconsidering our choice of FP's. We were originally slated to buy a Infocus X1. Which we will be viewing in the next couple days, so I cannot offer a fair comparison yet. But from from what I have read, the 1HD looks better picture wise than the X1, and as it is a LCD, no rainbows. So the 1HD is looking more and more likely for us. Also it is native 16:9 opposed to 4:3 of the X1.

Price point is a little more expensive for the 1HD than the X1, but the price seems to dictate the quality. And for the extra $200 it would cost for the 1HD, we think it is well worth it.

Oh, almost forgot, we took a little time to fire up the PS2, and check out a little ESPN Hockey. Now gaming is one of my main motivations to go FP. I have been worried about new HD RPTV's as burnin is a huge issue, especially when you play as much as I do. Hell we play more games than watch movies. So this is a major factor for us.

We played first in 4:3, the picture was great, but the unit really shined when stretched to 16:9. The game looked great. My gaming worries about stretched mode have been aleviated. I have read that a lot of games stretch well, and this one is definitely one of them. I was also concerned about taking a PS2 signal and making it so big. No quality was lost in the transition at all. If the PS2 looks this good, then I cant wait to get my Xbox hooked up to the FP and play a little 100" Halo in 480P.

One thing that makes me curious though, if a $2000 projector looks this good, how much better can it get? We will be totally satisfied with the image we were seeing on the 1HD. But I guess then again, we loved our 62" RPTV till we saw FP.

As I said earlier, if there was any doubt about wether or not FP was for us, that is all gone now. Only problem we now we have to wait till the end of October or middle of November till we can get ours. Sigh, it is going to be a long month......

Kris
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Andrew is a very particular home theater kind of guy. If you liked what you saw there, then I don't see how you can go wrong by getting yourself the same PJ and screen.

The X1 is also highly touted by many who have opted for this little projector in their home theaters. It's really a matter of choices/ Both lcd and dlp have their pros and cons. I own both and though I now prefer the dlp, I lived with the lcd for 5 years and loved it, and could continue to live with it if I really had to.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Energeezer
      • Sep 2002

One thing that makes me curious though, if a $2000 projector looks this good, how much better can it get? We will be totally satisfied with the image we were seeing on the 1HD. But I guess then again, we loved our 62" RPTV till we saw FP.
      Trust me it gets a lot better but you have to pay. You stil need to go and see the X1. I'm not saying it is better but you should see it.
      I was going to suggest you come and see my setup but with your gaming habit it is not a good idea.
      Good luck.
      Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Andrew is a very particular home theater kind of guy
        Now there's an understatement

Well i have george to thank for really helpping sell FP to glenda and I so its fitting I get to do the same to another young couple :twisted:

As for the screen the samples you saw were the following

Dalite High Contrast Cinema Vision
        Dalite High Contrast Matte White
        Dazian High Contast Grey
        Stewart StudioTek
        Stewart Greyhawk
        Stewart Firehwk - you liked this one
        and finally Vutec's SilverStar - you liked this one as well

Oh and my screen is a 92" diagonal screen

Comment

• cofn
          • Dec 2002

energeezer,

We are definitely still having a look at the X1, but we are leaning a little more to the LCD side now. We do a lot of movie/game nights with friends and so the rainbow effect has been a major factor in our descision. If my wife and I don't see them, we entertain enough that it is enevitable that someone will be affected by them.

I was going to suggest you come and see my setup but with your gaming habit it is not a good idea.

I would definitely love to see your setup, I don't mind coming to see another gamer at all, let alone a HT nut. Unless you are in rehab, and are afraid of the negative gaming influence.

Andrew,

Well i have george to thank for really helpping sell FP to glenda and I so its fitting I get to do the same to another young couple
          [sarcasm on] Thanx a lot, like I have money to burn [/sarcasm off]

The wife was bugging me before I got to the end of your street. "We have to get one of these, when can we get one. Do you think we can do it by the middle of the month." Sometimes I wish I didn't infect her with the HT bug, between the two of us I we will forever be in the poor house. But damnat least it will sound good. Hell she was the one pushing for the 1098, I was content waiting til next year.

I will also have to pick your brain when I decide to build my screen as I can't for the life of me remember what you used. But that wont be til next month.

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

cofn, is your wife an only child, or does she have a sister??? :P :P

Comment

• cofn
              • Dec 2002

cofn, is your wife an only child, or does she have a sister???
              Actually she has 2 sisters, 1 in her early 20's and one in her mid teens. Both whom couldn't give a Rodent Sphincter about Home Theater, not yet at least

Comment

• cofn
                • Dec 2002

Update on the X1 vs the 1HD.

Stopped by American HiFi today, and man am I glad I did. If I had not seen Andrews 1HD, I would have likely wound up with an X1, and been disappointed.

Turns out I guess that I am in a minority here as I see Rainbows loud and clear, all the freaking time, and man did it give me a headache. And I was only watching for about 15 minutes.

I must say the setup was not the greatest as they were displaying it on a 120" screen, which really made pixels apparent. All the edges on sharp hard lines were very jaggy. Dennis assured me alot of it would go away on a smaller screen, as is not intended for such a huge display. But that was a secondary issue compared to the Rainbows.

So unfortunately it will be no DLP for me.

In terms of quality in an apples to apples comparison. Both players seemed to be fairly close in color and brightness. I could not tell if one had better blacks than the other, as the source we were watching was pretty shoddy. Some movie called Molly, that was a simply horrible DVD transfer, grainy as all hell. Why they are not using a better demo disc is beyond me. There were a few scenes though that had a lot of bright, high contrasting colors, and they were accurate and vibrant as the 1HD.

I can't say too much more as it was really a quick demo. But I am glad I had the opportunity to compare them both, as I know now that I will not be getting a DLP, not anytime soon at least.

Comment

• Energeezer
                  • Sep 2002

Cofn
                  I'm real glad you went to A-Hi-Fi and saw the X1.
                  In gerneral your impressions were very similar to mine except I am not sensitive to rainbows so when I said it was close between the 1HD and the X1 you can understand why that was the case for me.
                  It's too bad Dennis will lose a sale cause he is a great guy who truly loves his audio/video but you have to go with what your eyes tell ya.

When I said it may not be a good idea to check my system out you understood it completely differently than I meant it. I'm not in Re hab (except for my ruptured achilles tendon) but I'm using a CRT setup.
                  So for a heavy gamer a digital is usually a better choice.
                  If you are curious about how high end CRT looks you and your lady are more than welcome to check it out.
                  I think you will be more than a little surprissed (shocked is probably more accurate) to see how comparitively priced used crt performs for video against even the high end digitals and I promise I'll put on a good source through the HTPC. Also of interest may be that I just got Sat HDTV which is in itself somthing to behold and in some cases a step up from DVD.
                  You may want to read the faqs I posted on this forum re crt. There are plenty of people with more knowlege on the subject than me but I posted it here because there are NOT a lot of CRT users here and I think the info should be out there.

So if you are interested and would like to drop in some day its not a problem. Just shoot me an e-mail.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ah! If only I lived in Winnipeg!
                    Sounds like another Thumbs up for the HD 1.

Anyways!,,I don't understand why dealers will set up equipment using incorrect components (wrong screen in the case) and poor choices of Demo material. I see this all of the time and just don't see the reasoning for it. It's not a difficult task by no means.
                    Having the equipment set up properly is the key to selling it. Many have not figured this out yet. :roll:

Trevor
                    My HomeTheater S.E.
                    Sonically Enhanced
                    C5
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Stewart Firehwk - you liked this one
                      and finally Vutec's SilverStar - you liked this one as well
                      Andrew!,,Are these the best choices then for the HD 1.
                      I would definately be looking at buying a motorized roll down rather than a DIY.

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I will also have to pick your brain when I decide to build my screen as I can't for the life of me remember what you used. But that wont be til next month
                        No problem we'll work something out when that time comes.

Trevor the SilverStar is a solid foam backed screen so its not an option for you. The Firehawk would be a great screen choice if you wallet is deep enough. here's some rough canadian prices on screens. You might be able to get them a little cheaper from another vendor but it'll give you an idea of what you're looking at cost wise....note you might want to sit down when you see what a drop down firehawk screen will run you. If at all possible I'd strongly suggest you consider a fold down fixed screen like I have if you can't mount it to the wall...it will be MUCH cheaper. If you do need a drop down screen forget Stewart and email me and I'll point you to a cheaper source for a Dalite roll down model.

I have no idea why Dennis of all people would demo the X1 with the wrong screen size and shoddy source material. For the screen size all he'd have to do is zoom in the lens a bit to make the image smaller which should have helpped reduce rainbows from what I understand but given that you saw them once likely means you'll see them no matter what you do.

Comment

• Energeezer
                          • Sep 2002

Guys
                          Dennis is AUDIO FIRST.
                          His showroom where he demos this stuff is a tour de-force of audio via Krell, Areial Acoustics etc. I think video is stil a bit of a tag along for him.
                          Yeah his screen is way too big for all but the most expensive equip but then it's the most expensive stuff he likes to deal with.
                          I never asked him why the screen was wrong since I didn't feel it was my place to ask but I have an idea. He used to have CRT demos in there and was using the screen frame you see now with material optimized for CRT. I think it was stewart 1.3 gain. He kept the frame but changed material.
                          Another reason is due the fact that the uneducated (most people in Winnipeg with re to FP) are more blown away by a huge screen.
                          All speculation.
                          Now he went digital and kept the frame but changed the material. this I know is true cause he asked me if I wanted to buy the old material.

Andrew
                          Im consideing the purchase of a Draper Tab Tension screen with 2.5 gain. Are any of you samples near that gain?

Ah! If only I lived in Winnipeg!
                          I never thought I'd see the day LOL

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Steve the closest I have is the firewhawk at near 2 and IMO the Vutec Silverstar is likely close to 2.4 as well...it says 6.0 on the back but I don't really believe its that bright.

I agree Dennis is audio first...the Krell gear's a dead give away but I still think he should know better to at least try and use a better source material or screen size...theres no rule that he has to fill the large screen with the X1

Comment

• Energeezer
                              • Sep 2002

theres no rule that he has to fill the large screen with the X1
                              Agreed

Do you think I could borrow those two samples for an evening SOOON?

OT
                              I'm going back to work on Tues crutches and all. Who would have thought I'd get tired of staying home with the HT and wife.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

The main thing here is that Kris found out he is sensitive to dlp projector artifacts. The X1 does only have a 2x color wheel compared to most dlps now that use a 5x color wheel, but the fact that he got headaches tells me he should go with either a crt or an lcd.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Do you think I could borrow those two samples for an evening SOOON?
                                  Sure just drop by and pick them up one night. Send me and email on which night would be best and we'll work out the details

Comment

• Legairre
                                    • Jan 2002

After visting a friend who had a Sanyo Z1(same projector as the 1HD), I was convinced that FP was the way to go. Now that the new Sanyo Z2 and Studio Experience 2HD(same FP again) are about to be released this month or early next month I have to have one. For me the lens shift, 24db fan(now that's quiet), and the 1280x720 resolution make the new Z2/2HD a real winner.

Here's link to the new 2HD/Z2.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                                    Radden Home Theater
                                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• cofn
                                      • Dec 2002

Dare I even ask how much the Z2/2HD may be priced at?

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Dare I even ask how much the Z2/2HD may be priced at?

If it is replacing the the 1HD it may be the same price!
                                        Let keep our fingers crossed.!

Trevor
                                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                                        Sonically Enhanced
                                        C5
                                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

From what I've heard the Z2 isn't replacing the Z1 but will be a higher end model that will cost quite a bit more...how much more is open for debate but I think the consensus is at least $500USD more

Comment

• Legairre
                                            • Jan 2002

The Z2 will coexist with the Z1. The MSRP is around $2800 and projectorcentral already has 3 dealers listing the price they will be selling it for when it's available

http://www.projectorcentral.com/onli...id=2239&trig=1. I've been following threads on another site for the last month and the price seems consistant with what it's going for in Europe and Japan.

Radden Home Theater
                                            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• cofn
                                              • Dec 2002

Doh! Too rich for my blood, for the time being at least. The only reason we are getting a FP now is they are a hell of alot cheaper than I though they were. We were suppose to wait till next year before saving for a new RPTV, buuuuuutttt, at half the cost of the TV we wanted, and an extra 30" to boot, it is just too tempting. Hope our families don't mind cheap Xmas gift this year :LOL: Arg, a month is too long to wait. I should have gone to Andrew's place closer to the end of Oct, that way I would not have know what I was missing.

Comment

• Legairre
                                                • Jan 2002

cofn,
                                                While the Z2/2HD are close to $2000. The Z1/1HD that Andrew has is around $1200, which you already know first hand is a GREAT projector. I'm waiting for more dealers to stock the Z2. My timeframe is more like January so by then there will be lots of Z2 dealers and I should be able to find a dealer around $1700 -$1800. Plus I can also let some of the first time adopters give their impressions of the Z2 before I take the plunge.
                                                Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"