X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryker
    • Jan 2002

Newbie need screen help.

I just got an epson s1 4:3 projector and I am trying to figure out what size to build the screen. Since it is 4:3 if I don't build a 4:3 screen won't I have light spillover on the top and bottom? The screen hangs in front of my direct view tv and audio rack so I assume I should go with the 4:3 or I will have light reflecting onto everything.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Ryker, even 4:3 projectors have 16:9 modes. However, the black area of your 4:3 will have some light. so, unless that area is black black black, you will see some lighting while showing 16:9 materials.

If you bail on building a screen, I'm very happy with my screen from Carada. Great frame construction, and a good quality screen material.

Congrats on moving to FP!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

If you can do this ( probably only if you have a dedicated HT ) it is a good idea to set your screen up in a black hole. Just about every PJ has some kind of light spill and black paint or draperies around the screen can't be beat. It will do wonders for your contrast. I own a dlp that is native 4:3 but it is setup in the 16:9 mode using a 16:9 screen. This particular Pj has very little noticable lightspill, but with my masking system there is absolutelo ZERO light spill.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

For your setup I'd either build a 4:3 screen, and a removable black flock 16:9 mask, or build a 16:9 screen with a black flock 4:3 letterboxed border.

I used to have a 4:3 screen with my CRT front projector, but then moved to a 16:9 screen because the bulk of the material that I watch is widescreen.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"