X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

EVERYBODY'S GOING FRONT PROJECTION

... and I love it. Just off the top we have Lex, Andrew, Erik and Claude with new PJs. Who else out there did I miss and who else is going FP soon ? I have been hooked on front projection for several years now and wish it for everyone. Ain't nothing like that HUGE screen experience.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It seems to be the year of the projector. If you look around the various forums everyone's talking about the new budget projectors like the Z1, PT200U and X1 and why not since for a very reasonable cost you can get a much larger screen then an RPTV. I see this trend continuing strong for the next couple of years as prices continue to drop and the technology improves

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

That, and the fact that you don't lose 15 - 25 sqare feet of space in your room to this big ugly monolith.
      (there is nothing attractive about a RPTV when it is turned off, whether it's silver or black or even purple...)

Comment

• Claude D D
        • Jan 2003

With quality front projos from $1200+ there is no contest. If you have a light controlled room FPTV is the way to go.I enjoy mine very much.
        I may be going to work a a local retailer that carries most brands of front projos(NEC,Infocus,Toshiba,Marantz,Panasonic,Sim,V idiktron,Piano,Benq etc.) So that might be interesting.
        I got to see Ice Age in D-VHS played on the Toshiba clone of the X1 and running through a Marantz D-VHS player on a 100" 4:3 Stewart screen(92" in 16:9).Even scaled down to 800x450 it looked pretty impressive.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, I suppose my RPTV was the exception on being attractive. The Elites are the best looking RPTVs out there. Very classy looking for a big box. But I will admit, it sure did open things up getting it out of here.

I tell you with component video for my DirecTV now, even non HD channels look pretty darn good on the ViewSonic. But HD? Wow! It sure does look awesome.

Of course 480P for DVD is pretty nice as well, but it can't compete with HD.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I'll be joining the PJ ranks here sometime in the next few months. Not sure what the winner's going to be, whether it's a DWIN, or Z2, or HS20, or something else.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Claude D D
              • Jan 2003

Chris,
              Check out the NEC HT1000.If I had a more dough to spend I probably would have opted for that.
              Review of the hot new NEC HT1000 Home Theater Projector

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Claude, I've considered the HT1000. I'm really looking for something native widescreen, though, XGA or higher. You could use the ht1000 in widescreen mode, but then you're really bringing the 768 available vertical pixels down to 576 or so by not using the whole vertical plane. Reduces the resolution to below XGA. Isn't the HT1000 getting replaced by something right now as part of the massive new projector model releases?

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Pat
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

I've had my FPTV for a couple of years now (CRT)

I don't think the digital ones have caught up yet but they are getting better and better

Pat's Page
                  Pat's Page

Comment

• Energeezer
                    • Sep 2002

TIMELINE--2YRS AGO
                    Six months after buying a Toshiba 56" HDTV I was on another forum getting tweaks info and found out about FP.
                    Within 2 months the Tosh was sold and the CRTFP was projecting an 8' wide screen with a better image than the Tosh and taking zero space.
                    I took the 1500-2000 that I SAVED buy selling the Tosh and getting a used CRT and banked it.
                    At the time there was no comparing CRT to Digital but in the last few months I've seen some decent digital (IF 7200) comes to mind. Still not a match for my CRT but I would no longer rule out the flashlights.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

So tempting!!
                      Maybe I should buy one for my Wife for Christmas.

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bent
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2003

Trever, she may not appreciate it as much as you think,
                        however My Wife would really appreciate it if you bought me one. LOL.

Have a great day.

Ben (the new guy)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Yeah, or me too, Trevor. I could always use another PJ.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • May 2003

I had CRT RPTV for years, and then several CRT FPTVs which I enjoyed. Then about 3 years ago I moved to digital FPTVs, and they are great.

With the prices of some of the new tiny digital projectors actually dropping down to tube-TV levels, it's hard to ignore them.

Still most A/V shops are pushing plasma and higher end displays because of the higher profit margins. But smart shoppers are seeing the value of the relatively inexpensive portable digital projectors. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                              • Oct 2002

I'm having my dedicated HT being build right now. I will probably buy the JVC DII-LA SX21 PJ with a Stewart Greayhack screen.

I sold my Toshiba 65HDX82 to a friend.

For the difference in price now, I think PJ is the way to go. And buying a 1080p projector now will provide years of enjoyment w/o the need to upgrade (I hope...).
                              To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

levesque why did you choose the greyhawk? IMO there are better screens for much less esp if you're willing to give paint a try.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                  • Oct 2002

I didn't buy it. But the JVC rep tell me to consider that screen for their projector. But I still have 2 or 3 months to choose the screen. So all recommendation are welcome.

I don't do anything "manual" (...almost nothing...), so no painting for me! I usually have to pay someone to redo my "painting"... ops:

So the less work I have to do, the better it is. :LOL:

If you have other options for the screen, go fo it.
                                  To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Well if you've got that long to choose email all the reps and ask for a screen sample (they're free). Once you see greyhawk I don't think you'll be all that impressed...its just a very thin grey vinyl material. Honestly I'd rather get either a Carada grey screen or a Dalite HCCV as they both are quite similar to greyhawk and are cheaper. The Dalite is also a thicker material so it should be more duarable

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                      • Oct 2002

Thank you Andrew. I will fallow your advice and go do my homeworks, and seek information on different screen makers.

Do you know some good canadian sites where I could shop around for different screen companies?

Those custom fees are killing us!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I know http://www.avdeals.ca has some but I'm not sure what other online dealers there are up on this side of the boarder. No doubt there's local dealers that will have at least some in stock for you to look at. You can order the screen material directly from AVS if you like which is often much cheaper then buying though dealers. Those Carada screens are very affordable as well and I believe Lex just got their grey screen so I'm sure we'll hear a review from him shortly

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                                          • Sep 2003

Come spring time, I have a friend ready to buy my Pioneer SD533 hdtv. And when he does, I think I'll buy the X1 and mess around with it for the summer. IF no new DLP techonolies hit by this time next year, I'll try the Runco 510? I think thats the correct model #. If they upgrade the DLP even further, I still might go with the 510, maybe it'll come down in price too 8)

For the price they are now, projectors can't be beat.

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                                          GameTracker -My List-
                                          Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• cofn
                                            • Dec 2002

Well, if all things come together financially this month. I will be picking up a Infocus X1 at the end of October, and getting rid of my 1995 RCA RPTV. Seems to be a good cheap entry level projector, and will be a hell of alot better than my old RCA.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Cofn,
                                              Have you decided where you would be buying from?
                                              I came across this place Online which has the X1 for $1,399.
                                              Not sure if that is the best price around , however for FPTV I figure it's pretty decent.

Trevor
                                              My HomeTheater S.E.
                                              Sonically Enhanced
                                              C5
                                              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• cofn
                                                • Dec 2002

Trevor,

I have found it as low as $1366 here http://www.directdial.com/vs/go/dd-p...2000.asp?menu=

Which is pretty damn good, with the exchange rate as it is, it is just shy of the the exchange on $999 american (1342 cnd)

I just wish I could get it locally for that price. I have checked around, and I was quoted $1550. Still have to haggle on that, but I seriously doubt I will get it down to 1366.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Well, if all things come together financially this month. I will be picking up a Infocus X1 at the end of October, and getting rid of my 1995 RCA RPTV. Seems to be a good cheap entry level projector, and will be a hell of alot better than my old RCA.
                                                  Was that local price from American Hi-Fi?

If you want to see my 1HD we could probably do a demo this week if you like. Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night after 7 works for me.

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                    • Sep 2002

Cofn
                                                    Before you buy the X1 on line you really should go and see Andrew's setup. I'm not sure if its better than the X1 or vice versa (and I've seen both) but it costs you nothing so :P Not only that but Andrew has a rather extensive selections of demo screen materials which could only help you.
                                                    Also you should go to American Hi-Fi since the price he quoted me was very close to that online price and that was his first offer. (I never dickered since I was not serious about the purchase) Not only that Dennis @ American is a real nice guy and you could check out the Infocus 7200 while you are there just for fun.

Comment

• cofn
                                                      • Dec 2002

Sweet, didn't know American Hi-Fi carried Infocus. I emailed Infocus direct and they only gave me Winnipeg Audio Video, and Hennely (sp?) So I emailed both of them nd they came back with the above price. Actually Hennely was 1699, which is way to much. But I have the next cpl days off so I will try to stop by American Hi-Fi.

Andrew,

I will email you tonight and let you know, but tomorrow night should be good.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

I'll be home after 4 today and I emailed you back this morning.

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                          • Sep 2002

Andrew
                                                          If you are making the rounds you can come and see how the other side lives (CRT) as well. I'm on disability at the moment and don't get out much so...
                                                          Please tell Dennis @ American that I sent you when you go there.
                                                          Thanks
                                                          Steve

Comment

• I'mListening
                                                            • Jul 2003

When I bought my Sony VPL-VW10HT LCD projector just two years ago it was the first true 16:9 unit on the market. Now with just under 1500 hours and a new bulb being delivered this week...I am already thinking about a new and better PJ!!! I will probably "live" with the Sony for another year or two....but then I will be upgrading for sure!

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
                                                            Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2001

Actually, Darren, the 10HT was the second true 16:9 PJ. The first was the VPL400Q that Sony released in 1996/97. I still have this baby in my HT as a second PJ. It was the surprising success of the 400 that led Sony to bring out the 10HT, the 11HT, the 12HT and the HS10.

My Homepage!
                                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

BTW Darren!!
                                                                You have an outstanding Theater!!
                                                                I can see a lot of time and energy was put into it!!
                                                                Good Job!!

I agree, I would keep your Sony for a couple more years and then upgrade.
                                                                The technologies are improving so quickly , that if you were to buy a new one today , you would want to replace it in a couple of years anyways.
                                                                I am sure the Sony would have put you back a few dollars and likely it is still superior to the budget projectors that everybody is now interested in , including myself.

Trevor
                                                                My HomeTheater S.E.
                                                                Sonically Enhanced
                                                                C5
                                                                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                  • Nov 2003

I do not have at this point in time a front projector system but as someone that had 8mm or super 8 and was a projectionist in the theater using 35mm {never projected 70mm} and that the first home theaters pre 1980s were if you could afford it {i could not} were 16mm rentals with depending on the film came, i think, with a scope lens and in some cases 3d movies.

I think that some 16mm projectors then also had stereo so could hook them up to reciever or seperates.

It seems projecting has a more natural feel to it as if you do have a{real} theater in your home, though i am not saying a widescreen tv that you put on av rack is not home theater ethier.

Robert
                                                                  Robert

Comment

Working...
                                                                  😀
                                                                  😂
                                                                  🥰
                                                                  😘
                                                                  🤢
                                                                  😎
                                                                  😞
                                                                  😡
                                                                  👍
                                                                  👎
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"