X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Front projection's day has come

The biggest question facing HT lovers today is: Should I go with a big screen RPTV, or an even bigger FPTV screen ? Because now it is no longer a matter of dollars, but more a matter of whether or not a FP system can be implemented in your existing living quarters.

Here's an example of what is available in Front Projectors with prices at or lower than a RPTV set:

INFOCUS X1 dlp projector streeting below $1900US
    SANYO PLV -Z1 lcd projector streeting around $2000US
    PANASONIC PT-L300U lcd projector streeting under $2000US
    SONY HS 10 lcd projector ( with true 720p resolution) at $2500US
    PIANO 3200 dlp projector at msrp of $3299.

And indicatioons are that the higher resolution dlp, lcd, D-Ila and Lcos PJs will also be getting cheaper ( see the Sony HS 10 above).

I have been a big screen front projection kinda guy for just under 9 years now, and believe, once you have moved from a 27" direct view, or a 55-60" RPTV to an 8 foot image, there is no going back. HT just doesn't get any better.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
    Because now it is no longer a matter of dollars, but more a matter of whether or not a FP system can be implemented in your existing living quarters.
    It always amuses me when someone claims they can't fit a front projection system into their living space, but then cart in an RPTV the size of a small car. :>)

And to make matters worse, they often plop their front L/R speakers right smack up beside the TV rather than slightly out into the room, yielding just about the worst possible imaging and sound stage due to the humongous box between them interfering with the speakers' dispersion patterns (wouldn't even be an issue with front projection).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• DavidY
      • Aug 2000

Here are some Canadian pricing on the more popular, entry level FPTVs:

Infocus X1 ~CDN$2300 plus GST and CDN$10-$30 shipping http://www.cendirect.com or http://www.oxycom.com/canada/

Sanyo Z1 I've been told a street price of CDN$2600-$2700 (Ottawa and North Vancouver) plus PST and GST. Best Canadian online price that I have found is CDN$2880 plus GST with FREE shipping (PST may be appicable in Ontario???) http://www.avdeals.ca NOTE: 1 year P&L warranty in Canada, NOT 3 years like the US. 90 days on lamp. Terms at Sanyo Canada website.

Panasonic PT-L300U (AKA PT-AE300) MSRP is suppose to CDN$4K. Street ????. Availability expected in April 2003.

If you know of better deals here in Canada, please post. Thanks.

Dave

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
        It always amuses me when someone claims they can't fit a front projection system into their living space, but then cart in an RPTV the size of a small car. :>)
        That would be me. Though my 46" is quite a bit smaller than a car. Maybe a small motorcycle. Actually I could do FP in my room but since I have to have the HT along the long wall, due to the wood stove, I have no place to mount a PJ, nor can I achieve adequate throw distance. And I'd only gain maybe 12" of screen size. So the FP waits until the next house.
        And to make matters worse, they often plop their front L/R speakers right smack up beside the TV rather than slightly out into the room, yielding just about the worst possible imaging and sound stage due to the humongous box between them interfering with the speakers' dispersion patterns (wouldn't even be an issue with front projection).
        Not me, I have my speakers out and away from the RPTV. I'm picky about 2-channel imaging.

The only other issue with FP is light control. Best results are achieved in a completely darkened room, though it's less of a problem with today's high-lumen digital PJs. The Studio Experience 20HD and Sanyo PLV70 work pretty well even in a well lit room, for non-critical viewing anyway.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Good stuff, Dave. It's so damn hard to find PJ availability and pricing in Canada. If I come across anything, I will post here as you requested.

I somewhat agree to what Burke said, but Kevin has some pretty good reasons . Also, many people have apartments and probably don't want to start putting screws in the walls for screens and what have you. But many of the new FP have very short throw lens that let you get a big picture from a short distance . The PJ can be placed on a coffee table in many cases, and the DIY'ers can make a screen on a light frame that could be stored elsewhere when not in use. As for light control. Well, drapes and curtains do a pretty good job, but if you are serious, you can buy blackout panels for windows.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• SayersWeb
            • Dec 2002

IMHO, if your environment will accomodate it, FP should be the first consideration. It is by far the best value per square inch of screen size. The new tabletop models shown on a bare wall allows for very easy setup. It is a little more involved than RPTV if you want to ceiling mount and install a screen.

Just mounted my PT-L300u this weekend and ordered a 92" screen today!

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page
            Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I've really been looking at the Sony HS-10 over the last several days, as I've been reading a lot of good things about it. Might be the way to go for the soon-to-be Chris D Home Theater!

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:31 Monday.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Chris, the January issue of Widescreen Review had a very technical and good review of the Sony HS 10. If you don't have the magazine or can't buy it, try visiting their website. The article was published there electronically.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

George, it looks like you have to be a subscriber in order to access the reviews on WSR's web site. I just tried and there's no access to hardware reviews from the "non-subscriber" section of the site.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                  My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, thanks, someone else pointed out the review to me. Since another issue has come out, the review is no longer viewable on the magazine website. I'll post it here in another thread.

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Kevin, Chris is correct. The review is gone now, but as a non-subscriber you can access the current issue and it will let you read some of the articles even if you are not a website subscriber. I see that Chris has posted the review for those that are interested.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"