X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

Infocus 7200 brief impressions from a CRT guy

I was at the local hi-fi shop today and was treated to a demo of an Infocus 7200 PJ. I have to say that I was surprissed at the quality of the image it provided. Still feel my XGLC is better but I could live with the 7200. Of course that would require an investment of 3X what I paid for the XG so D****** is not coming to my theater any time soon.
    The image was bright although I was expecting to be floored by the brightness and def was not. In reality I don't think it was really much if any brighter than the XG. Probably due to the fact the XG makes inky black and gives a percieved higher contrast. It was just AS sharp as the XG (and my XG is nicely set up) and probably a little sharper at the extreme edges.
    Where the XG takes over was in the color saturation and of course black level. The XG skintones are far more believable than the 7200.
    I would rate the 7200 on a par with a well tweaked BG800 with new tubes and proper processing.
    Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Where did you see it?

Comment

• Energeezer
      • Sep 2002

American Hi-Fi

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Comparing brightness with images is a different thing than full screen test patterns; CRT's are capable of peak lumens higher than what you expect, and a good one can have punchier images than the specs would lead you to believe.

I think you'll find some of the newer HD2 based projectors with more accurate colorimetry will impress you a little more than the 7200. Still, digital has made a lot of progress in the last 3 years... with many things yet to come in the next few years. Never the less, I really do like NEC pro products, and their big CRT projectors. I use an NEC presentation monitor for my bedroom system.

~Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Claude D D
          • Jan 2003

Check this out.The new Screenplay 7205.
          home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"