X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Incredibles on a 2K DLP system

USC has a series of screenings and seminars for people in the motion picture industry which they are holding here. Last night I attended my first, Pixar's THe Incredibles. My feelings on the movie itself are in the Movies forum, this thread is to discuss the projector system.

This was shown at a special theater USC has set up which is not open to the public, using one of the new Christie CP2000 digital cinema projectors. Screen was about 50' wide scope format, and I was fairly close, no more than 25' away and a bit off center. You can read about the sound system at the link too. Wile the sound was really clean, it was not nearly at reference level, so it did not make much of an impression on me.

The video is another matter. The native resolution of the PJ is 2048 x 1080, but the media was used directly as rendered from Pixar, at 1920x803 (the scope aspect subset of 1920x1080) and was mapped 1:1 to the projector, so NO scaling was applied.

This was the cleanest I have ever seen a movie look. Detail was, well, incredible. I have seen equal detail, but it has been in really well run high end theaters running top of the line 35mm or 70mm prints. There was absolutely no evidence of pixel structure, and note I was sitting VERY close at 1/2 screen width. The image was beautifully smooth, and color and contrast were very good as well. This projector is rated at something like 1700:1 onff, and 500:1 ANSI. This later number is the really impressive one, as most of us with home FP systems are looking at something less than half that, unless you have a Sharp 12000 or Marantz S3 or one of the really top performing DLPs in that respect.

The catch - fast pans. Objects in motion (not all, just faster moving objects or scenes) exhibited the juddering motion many of you have probably seen when light credits scroll up a dark background at the end of a film on digital displays. I am not sure what frame rate the projector was operating at, but it may be that it was not a multiple of 24 (say 48 or 72) but rather at 60 which might have caused this. It was very apparent on anything with vertical or horizontal lines (i.e. the scene where the supersuits are being demonstrated) but was also visible on things like pans past trees as loss of visibility of the detail without looking like traditional motion blur.

Black level was not absolute, obviously at 1700:1, but it was quite good, easily as good as any film system I have seen. Detail in the dark scenes was very very nice. I saw no evidence of dithering in dark areas that I have frequently seen in other DLP presentations.

This was a very big stepup from the older 1280x1024 digital cinema projectors we have been seeing up to now. I think when these are available to people in more locations, we may see some quality come back into the presentation at the local cineplexes. It may be a bit (a year or 3) before this happens, but with the industry pushing for it (and they are) it will come eventually.

There was a short Q&A with a senior manager of editorial and post production from Pixar that was also interesting. He discussed some of the differences in their production process that have occurred over the last few films (they use a projector like this one in their screening room for dailies), and answered some questions about the film making, the director, remastering it for other media (TV, DVD) and his thoughts on the direction of the digital cinema intiative.

They are having a seminar soon where they are going to alternate the projection system between this digital unit and a high quality 35mm rig, showing each reel of the film twice in succession so a true analysis of the differences in the presnetaion can be made. Unfortunately, I have to miss that because of a business trip to the land of the rising sun. Damn.

BB
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Only 2K :E what a bargin for that quality :T

(I'm guessing you're missing zero or possibly two)
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

2K is the term for the resolution. The cost of the projector is likely around $100-150K.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sitting that close to such a large screen and seeing no pixelization is astounding. If they can only defeat the motion artifacts (I hope it is something like a frame-rate mismatch and not something more esoteric) it sounds like there's a winner out there. Okay, an expensive winner...

Thanks for the report Brandon. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Brandon B
          2K is the term for the resolution. The cost of the projector is likely around $100-150K.

BB
          Well put me down for 2, why buy one when you can get two at twice the price :
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I think we found the next projector for Trevor...
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
              USC has a series of screenings and seminars for people in the motion picture industry which they are holding here. Last night I attended my first, Pixar's THe Incredibles. My feelings on the movie itself are in the Movies forum, this thread is to discuss the projector system.

This was shown at a special theater USC has set up which is not open to the public, using one of the new Christie CP2000 digital cinema projectors. Screen was about 50' wide scope format, and I was fairly close, no more than 25' away and a bit off center. You can read about the sound system at the link too. Wile the sound was really clean, it was not nearly at reference level, so it did not make much of an impression on me.

The video is another matter. The native resolution of the PJ is 2048 x 1080, but the media was used directly as rendered from Pixar, at 1920x803 (the scope aspect subset of 1920x1080) and was mapped 1:1 to the projector, so NO scaling was applied.

This was the cleanest I have ever seen a movie look. Detail was, well, incredible. I have seen equal detail, but it has been in really well run high end theaters running top of the line 35mm or 70mm prints. There was absolutely no evidence of pixel structure, and note I was sitting VERY close at 1/2 screen width. The image was beautifully smooth, and color and contrast were very good as well. This projector is rated at something like 1700:1 onff, and 500:1 ANSI. This later number is the really impressive one, as most of us with home FP systems are looking at something less than half that, unless you have a Sharp 12000 or Marantz S3 or one of the really top performing DLPs in that respect.

The catch - fast pans. Objects in motion (not all, just faster moving objects or scenes) exhibited the juddering motion many of you have probably seen when light credits scroll up a dark background at the end of a film on digital displays. I am not sure what frame rate the projector was operating at, but it may be that it was not a multiple of 24 (say 48 or 72) but rather at 60 which might have caused this. It was very apparent on anything with vertical or horizontal lines (i.e. the scene where the supersuits are being demonstrated) but was also visible on things like pans past trees as loss of visibility of the detail without looking like traditional motion blur.

Black level was not absolute, obviously at 1700:1, but it was quite good, easily as good as any film system I have seen. Detail in the dark scenes was very very nice. I saw no evidence of dithering in dark areas that I have frequently seen in other DLP presentations.

This was a very big stepup from the older 1280x1024 digital cinema projectors we have been seeing up to now. I think when these are available to people in more locations, we may see some quality come back into the presentation at the local cineplexes. It may be a bit (a year or 3) before this happens, but with the industry pushing for it (and they are) it will come eventually.

There was a short Q&A with a senior manager of editorial and post production from Pixar that was also interesting. He discussed some of the differences in their production process that have occurred over the last few films (they use a projector like this one in their screening room for dailies), and answered some questions about the film making, the director, remastering it for other media (TV, DVD) and his thoughts on the direction of the digital cinema intiative.

They are having a seminar soon where they are going to alternate the projection system between this digital unit and a high quality 35mm rig, showing each reel of the film twice in succession so a true analysis of the differences in the presnetaion can be made. Unfortunately, I have to miss that because of a business trip to the land of the rising sun. Damn.

BB

Some day I'm going to have to see something like this. The closes I've seen to digital projection is what they do at Regal Cinemas for their preview show, "The 20" (ads for TV shows, previews for movies, etc), and though I know it's on a Christi projector, I have no idea what one (it is 1.78:1 as projected, it seems). But the resolution looks more like a Matterhorn chip; seated 1/3 back in the theater, even with my computing glasses ( arms length optimum focus, not designed for driving at night or movies), the pixel structure is quite obvious to me. I could understand if that were the case with my "distance" glaesses, as with those I have 20/15 corrected vision. But with the others it's disappointing- almost like an XGA projector. Tell me those aren't 1280X1024, though I suppose it's possible...

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

That is most likely one of the rebadged Sanyo LCD light cannons. Often used for the "ad" machines in theaters.

BB

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"