X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

Is Stewart the way to go

I am thinking about getting a new screen is the Stewart really worth the cash. I am planning on getting a manual pull down with masking. The screen size will be 80 x 45 (16:9) 92 diag. The projector will be the new Dwin. I would like to hear good and bad.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have never owned Stewart because their screens are a little to rich for my budget. I first owned a Draper manual pull down 4:3, then went to a Da-Lite 1.1 gain matte white fixed screen in 4:3 and because I found the Da-Lite very acceptable for both my LCD projector and crt projector, I moved into a Da-Lite 16:9 screen to accomodate the widescreen panels on my lcd projector. The Damat material on my screen is somewhat like vinyl, easy to clean and because of the low gain it helps beef up contrast on my lcd projector. When I priced the Stewart, it was almost twice the price of the Da-Lite for a similar gain and material. If I had the extra doungh I may have gone with the Stewart just to be able to say my screen is a Stewart. Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with my Da-Lite and have no intentions of upgrading.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
      • Aug 2000

Thanks George. On other forms, it seems people think it's not worth the money while other would not have any other screen. I am considering it but the money is an issue. Thanks for your post.

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Mark, I am using a Da-Lite 16:9 manual pull down and I like it.
        I am a CRT newbie and the price was right (I just got my projector up and running on Dec.1)

When I was talking with John Gannon about working his magic on my CRT he said that if I could swing it, to get a Stewart, he swears by them.

Sorry I don't have any first hand experience but just offering up another opinion.

Good luck with your new setup, I'm sure you will love your Dwin.

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Pat that does help. This is what I am hearing. When a pj costs the $$ I don't what to cheap out on the screen. But if there is no difference with a less expensive screen I don't what to waste the $$ either.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Without a doubt, Steward quality control and design are first rate. And their prices commisurate. If you want the best, Stewart is the one to go with.

DA-LITE offers very good products; I've seen excellent results with several installations using the Hi-Power series (my personal favorite- even for LCD), but I do know of cases with quality issues, sometimes regarding shipping containers. However, in every case DA-LITE made good on the situation. I personally consider DA-LITE to be the value leader- not a small consideration, since my funds are hardly unlimited.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon for your response. I am giving this serious consideration. I have not placed my order yet but I am close.

Comment

• Wireless
                • Feb 2001

You might also want to look at the new Stewart Firehawk for use with DLP/LCDs...1.36 gain and grey to improve black levels. It has been highly recommended by everyone who has seen it.

John
                My HT Picts
                John
                My HT Picts

Comment

• Markj
                  • Aug 2000

John thanks, if I do go ahead with a Stewart it will be the firehawk. I just found out today that masking might not be available on a manual pull down.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Yeah, Mark. I believe the masked versions are all electrics.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                      • Aug 2000

George I think you are right. I am not sure if I would to drop the
                      extra $$ for the electric. More thinking is needed. I wonder if any manual pull down has masking? At least vertical masking?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

I've never heard of any, Mark.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                          • Aug 2000

George I think you are right again. I have looked at different maker's web pages and it seems only electric screens have masking or fix screens.

So this is the next question. Is vertical mask worth getting? I do colect older 4:3 b/w movies.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

I found the sidebars distracting when I went with a 16:9 screen. Since it's a wall mounted (metal frame) screen I was able to clip a left and right black panel over the frame whenever I wanted to view 4:3 material. The black panels are made of foamcore. I applied two hinges to the top of each panel and the hinges sit on top of the screen frame. So if you can, a fixed screen may be your answer. But not everyone can put a big 8 foot wide screen on their wall. I just happen to haver a dedicated room so it was easy for me. Now if you don't watch a lot of 4:3 material, maybe the side bars won't bother you. I happen to have quite a few of the older classics ( like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc.) in my collection and I just don't enjoy them with the side bars staring me in the eye.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                              • Aug 2000

Unfortunately, I cannot use a fixed screen the HT is in the family room. I also have quite a few older films. I am guessing but b/w films would look much better with masking. So maybe I can come up with away to incorporate your idea George. Or pay more for the screen and get an electric one. I will ask my dealer about the difference in price. Nothing is simple.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Good luck, Mark.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Wireless
                                  • Feb 2001

Mark I'm using a manual screen with masking. I used a frame made of 1x2s from Home Depot and some black velvet from a fabric shop. The masking hangs behind the screen when not in use (screen up or 1.85:1 material. It's really a mask for 2.35:1 Movies only. You can see it on my webpage. The Stewert full masking electric screen retails for somewhere over $4000....ouch

John
                                  My HT Picts
                                  John
                                  My HT Picts

Comment

• Markj
                                    • Aug 2000

Wireless that HT is amazing, very unique room for an HT. I was thinking about making my own masking if I go with the manual pull down which is most likely. Thanks for sharing your HT pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"