X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Direct Display: Oled 1080P, Oled 4K, LCD 4K/1080P, Plasma 1080P *footnote Etc

I think this section is screaming for a big comparison thread, since that is sort of what my review thread was headed toward. Let's dedicate this thread to comparing technologies, specs, images, specific opinions on all the display technologies for say 50"-105" or so sets.

My footnote on Plasma, is while they last...

Obviously, it's a dynamic marketplace, and will continue to be one over the next few years. I did bite early, for a smaller than main theater size set that fit a niche for me. So, what's your plans? Sets you like? Compare them all here.

Please feel free to re-post any of your general info from my review thread to here that is relevant.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

My current plans, originally I was planning to grab a Vizio 70" P series but after seeing an OLED set on display I've since changed my plans. Right now I'm looking to grab either a 1080p local dimming LCD set for not a lot or I'm going to grab a Epson projector. Either way I will be waiting for OLED prices to come down below 3k for a 65"+ set and then snagging one of those, whether it's 1080p or 4k because honestly the boost in picture quality makes me not care a whole lot about the extra resolution, it really looks that good.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I snagged a 60" 1080p Samsung plasma while the snagging was good. I'm hoping that tides me over ~5+ years until OLED is more comparably affordable as well.

I also am not overly picky on the 2K vs 4K (at that size anyway) but one thing I do know is that I do not overly care for LCD sets in any incarnation, LED or otherwise.
      Jason

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I saw today from CES Samsung I think is working on a new curved front BENDABLE 105" set, that is supposed to debut at less than 10K. I think it was 4K LED. Have to check that spec... Seriously, you can bend the front flat or curved apparently. How's that gonna work out! LOL.

Interesting.

I dont' think it's Oled or it would be 850,000.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

They had Led sets like that last year at CES, but definitely not anything but LED at that size and price. I think the only one working on OLED now is LG.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hdale85
            I think the only one working on OLED now is LG.
            Which utterly terrifies me. My worst AV fear is that OLED has a similar fate as SED and we're left with nothing but crappty LCD displays.
            Jason

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

But OLED has made it to market. If LG can sustain the financial cost of acquiring sufficient market share, others will follow. LG is a highly diverse company and has a much better shot than many other companies to do it. The only other variable is technical reliability.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I think OLED isn't going away, the other MFG's haven't said they are completely out of the OLED market from what I understand, they are just sitting back and waiting for it to become more economical to produce. I think if anyone could sustain the OLED market for a year or 2 it's LG. If it were Sony that was the only one working on it I'd be highly worried as that company could go big or crash at any moment pretty much.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I believe Toshiba made it to market as well (albeit limited and I think only Japan if memory serves).

Forgive me if only one company left and others (at least temporarily) dropping it makes me a little nervous.
                  Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

A bit nervous is fair. Just thought "utterly terrified" was not as applicable to OLED as to SED. But I do share your concern at the thought of an all LCD world for TVs.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                      But I do share your concern at the thought of an all LCD world for TVs.
                      I know right?! :gah:
                      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

To be fair OLED is actually quite abundant in the market when you look outside of TV's unlike SED. So I really don't think it's anything close to the same.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

To be fair OLED is actually quite abundant in the market when you look outside of TV's unlike SED. So I really don't think it's anything close to the same.
                          It helps that it's not proprietary. That's one of the few things giving me hope.
                          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

FWIW, Im looking at new TV's, and most I'm looking at are LED.
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                              FWIW, Im looking at new TV's, and most I'm looking at are LED.
                              *LED-lit LCD's :
                              Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Oh...

I'm not familiar with the mechanics. They're really LCD TV's? So are LED TV's completely different from OLED? I thought it was just a different type of diode.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                                  Oh...

I'm not familiar with the mechanics. They're really LCD TV's? So are LED TV's completely different from OLED? I thought it was just a different type of diode.
                                  Yup.

"LED TV's" are all just LCD's that happen to use LED's for their back lighting as opposed to the older CCFL back lighting. They simply create light, not a picture. LCD's are still reuired to pass/block lights to create the picture you see. So hence, yes they are ENTIRELY different than OLED. OLED is closer to plasma where the OLED cells actually create light (or lack thereof) to create the picture.
                                  Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
                                    Office Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Here's a nice video giving an overview of Quantum Dot, LCD and OLED.

I'm going to be waiting for OLED to become cheaper, that's the ticket. New TV purchase pushed out again..
                                    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

FWIW, I got an E-mail today that Projector People have the Panny PT-AE8000 is on sale for $1499. That's an amazing price. I'm very tempted to do it myself, but I'm hoping that means that they're trying to do more than take advantage of Super Bowl season. That hopefully this means they're about to come out with the next model, hopefully a 4k!!!
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
                                        Yup.

"LED TV's" are all just LCD's that happen to use LED's for their back lighting as opposed to the older CCFL back lighting. They simply create light, not a picture. LCD's are still reuired to pass/block lights to create the picture you see. So hence, yes they are ENTIRELY different than OLED. OLED is closer to plasma where the OLED cells actually create light (or lack thereof) to create the picture.
                                        A TV made with actual LED pixels would be amazing but regular LEDs can't be made small enough, or cheap enough to do this for traditional TV sizes. It works well for Jumbotron screens though. So-called "LED TVs" are just LED-backlit LCD screens. Cheap ones are lit with white LEDs, while some of the fancier ones use RGB LEDs and adjust the backlight behind each pixel group to get better colors and contrast.

OLED cells can be much smaller than regular LEDs, which is why they're starting to be used in screens, and they generate their own light like a plasma, so there's no backlight to bleed through and cause poor contrast ratios.

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin P
                                          Aso there's no backlight to bleed through and cause poor contrast ratios.
                                          Or crystals causing fast motion issues.
                                          Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

However, though not as severe as with LCD panels, OLED panels are still susceptible to motion lag, enough so that, at present, they are inferior to plasma panels on that point.

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

However, though not as severe as with LCD panels, OLED panels are still susceptible to motion lag, enough so that, at present, they are inferior to plasma panels on that point.
                                              Yeah I've been reading about that a bit in reviews as well. If I recall, plasma had similar issues when it was new as well. Over time they were able to engineer the problem away for the most part by managing to get the plasma pixels to turn off and on more quickly (from a very basic standpoint). I'd imagine as OLED tech matures they'll be able to tackle that as well. Otherwise, it's pretty dang superior in just about every other imaginable way.
                                              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Yep. When we finally upgrade the living room TV, it'll be an OLED (assuming they haven't disappeared like plasma).

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Well, this isn't the best deal in the world, but I'd call it somewhat reasonable for OLED:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

If it were 10" larger I'd be all over it.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2004

It's the proper size for our living room but I wouldn't get a curved screen, especially for the position where it would go. I expect the prices will have dropped further by the time our current TV goes kaput, but if we needed one now and a flat version was available, I'd be tempted.

Comment

• BWLover
                                                        • Jan 2009

That's what she said [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
                                                        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                                                        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                                                        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                                                        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                                                        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                                                        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                                                        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                                                        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                                                        Playstation 3
                                                        Shaw HD PVR
                                                        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                          Office Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Somebody beat me to it.

I'm wondering if the curved thing is going to be a fad like the 3D stuff. The 4K stuff seems to be something that will stay, at least in my estimation. It's a big number that companies can market. Prices have dropped nicely over the past year and naturally for tech stuff will continue to drop.

The display tech to get is the OLED, and I eagerly await the day/year when I get to buy a new TV. I've been waiting for at least 5 years talking about a new set and something or anther gets in my way of purchasing. Last year was probably the closest I ever got to looking at and almost buying. But the living room wasn't unpacked so no new set until we have reorganized from our recent move.

I've got an old 32" LCD I've been using in the living room and it does the job. We hardly use it as we have a newer 42" in the bedroom.

I think my ideal set would be in the 55" size for us. I'd like to snag one for under $2K, ideally $1.5K, but who knows.
                                                          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2003

That's a good price on that LG Chris!

As for curved screens, at most common viewing distances it really only becomes beneficial at 80"+ and even then, really closer to 100"+ is where you'd get useful benefit out of it. At 50"-70" it's really just a gimmick but I can see why they're doing it...they need something obvious to differentiate the screens to J6P and get him forking over $$ and curved is what they've come up with.

If it means the tech can get established thanks to J6P saying "derp, cool curved screen" so I can buy a straight 70" OLED for $1500 in 5'ish years...great.
                                                            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by BWLover
                                                              Originally posted by Hdale
                                                              That's what she said [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
                                                              I see several people beat me to it...
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

I'd be happy with a 70" at 3k even honestly.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2003

I'd be happy with a 70" at 3k even honestly.
                                                                  Well $1500 may be optimistic but hey, shoot for the moon, right?! :lol:
                                                                  Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Even 3k at 70" might be a long shot but I'm not sure really. We need another year to really see what's going to happen with OLED prices and production.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Well 4K OLED is here (albeit at $10k for this 65" unit):

Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

In two years it'll be 3500$.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 16706

In two years it'll be 3500$.
                                                                          I sure hope so! :drool:
                                                                          Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 2202

You and me both. So far OLED is the only display tech I've seen that would get me to choose a TV to replace my projector (in my small room, I have a 64" 16:9 screen for my projector--so a TV is a feasible option in terms of size). When we finally replace the finest SDTV money (in real world budgets for new parents) could buy in 2000 in our living room, it will be an OLED display for sure, so I know at least one is destined for my house (very likely a 55" model). But an affordable 65" (70" could squeeze in ) OLED would mean two of them. Here's hoping my projector bulb makes it to 2017. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 16073

#39
                                                                              Yea, I believe a 70" around 5k in 2-3 years is quite likely and I will likely jump in at that point. For now my Vizio looks pretty good.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                Apologies for posting a link to another forum, but this is a good one. Samsung and OLED?

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10808

#41
                                                                                  I think it'll be like plasma was when it was first introduced. Early plasmas were huge $$$ and the image quality and lifespan wasn't the greatest, but as the tech matured it got better, lasts longer and got a LOT cheaper. I can see OLED doing the same. I wouldn't blow $10K on one now when 5 years from now a $3k one will look better and last twice as long.

Let's just hope they don't just abandon the tech like they did with plasma though. Seems like they perfected it and then just dropped it in favor of inferior LCD.

My 50" Panny plasma is getting on 10 years of light usage and still looks great. Hopefully I'll get another 10 years out of it.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                                                                    Office Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 6766

#42
                                                                                    Oh good, another reason for me to hold off purchasing. :B
                                                                                    Paul

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 16706

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Kevin P
                                                                                      Let's just hope they don't just abandon the tech like they did with plasma though. Seems like they perfected it and then just dropped it in favor of inferior LCD.
                                                                                      In fairness, it was consumers who "dropped it", not the manufacturers. They just responded to market pressures.

As for the news of Samsung (hopefully) getting back in the OLED game, I'm all for it. Competition can only be good for the consumer.
                                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 16073

#44
                                                                                        I'm not sure consumers had much to do with it, Plasma's were selling decently they were just inefficient and cost way more to produce.

I'm optomistic about OLED though, we've already seen prices fall by half on new models. The 65" 1080p OLED from last year was like 15k, this yeas model is 9k and is 4k at 65". The 55" OLED 4k is 3k now which was 10k not long ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"