X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Why Plasma Is Better

I'd like to start a thread on the technical aspects of plasma displays, and why they are better then other types of displays. I've noticed in another thread I created (Bye Bye Panasonic Plasma) that a lot of us are talking about why plasma rocks and why others are inferior. I would like to learn more about plasma tech, and LED/OLED/LCD. This is an area that I am somewhat knowledgeable in but not the greatest. So how about we all chat about it?

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • sgtjim57
    • Dec 2008

Natural picture. No to bright, not to dim. Like real life, at least for me.
    Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
    SVS SB 2000 X 2
    Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
    Oppo BDP 93
    Apple TV 4K
    B & W N804 Mains
    B & W 603 Rear surrounds
    B & W LCR 600 Center
    B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
    Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Plasma is an emissive technology, meaning the pixels produce their own light, like a CRT. This results in better contrast and color saturation/accuracy compared to non-emissive technology such as LCD which uses a fixed color light source and creates pixels by blocking light from the source.

LCD due to its nature has a more limited contrast ratio, refresh speed and viewing angle compared to a plasma or CRT.

So-called "LED" displays are really LED-backlit LCD displays. Some of them have an RGB LED array behind the LCD panel that allows the backlight to adjust its brightness and color based on the pixels in that area of the screen, improving color and contrast in a somewhat rough fashion.

OLED is emissive, like plasma, and once it matures will probably be the next big thing.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kevin P
        OLED is emissive, like plasma, and once it matures will probably be the next big thing.
        Yes, the world has been waiting a loooong time for OLED to be ready for mass production.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Kevin summed it up pretty well IMO.

I'll add that addressable LED back-lit sets tackle the contrast/black level problem pretty darn well IMO but they're FAR more expensive than their much more common edge-lit cousins (or most plasmas). And all LCD's (LED or CCFL) still have issues with off axis viewing and motion in comparison to plasma. I do find they generally have a slight advantage on fine detail though.
          Jason

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Things have seemed quiet on the OLED front... wonder what the latest is.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
              Kevin summed it up pretty well IMO.

I'll add that addressable LED back-lit sets tackle the contrast/black level problem pretty darn well IMO but they're FAR more expensive than their much more common edge-lit cousins (or most plasmas). And all LCD's (LED or CCFL) still have issues with off axis viewing and motion in comparison to plasma. I do find they generally have a slight advantage on fine detail though.
              Unfortunately, it seems that backlit LED sets, after appearing on the market in a few models, are disappearing altogether (you can't make a backlit LED TV as thin as an edge-lit LED--and we all know that "thin" trumps all other considerations :roll: ).

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                Unfortunately, it seems that backlit LED sets, after appearing on the market in a few models, are disappearing altogether (you can't make a backlit LED TV as thin as an edge-lit LED--and we all know that "thin" trumps all other considerations :roll: ).
                I think even more importantly than thin is that edge-lit is INFINITELY cheaper than quality, addressable back-lit LED lighting. That is by far the number one consideration of both manufacturers and the overwhelmingly large percentage of buyers.
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"