X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boarder1995
    • Sep 2009

TV mounted too high? Check this company out... Dynamic Mounting

Ok, so we've all seen a TV mounted too high above the fireplace. Whether at a friend's place, neighbor, family, or perhaps even your TV is too high up! My in-laws had this issue when they were considering mounting their TV above the fireplace mantle... it'd have been way too high for comfortable viewing, unless you were standing. So I did some internet searching and came across this company...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	871295Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	871296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	871297
    Two first photos don't have included black bolt/screw/nut covers. 3rd does and it looks much better in person.
    MantelMount is the premier pull-down, over-the-fireplace TV mount. Always watch your shows at the perfect view. Your TV glare and neck strain days are over!

I don't work for them, have never used their products before this purchase, and have no vested interest in them. I DO get a rebate for reviews posted - good or bad! I bought their mount for a 60" Vizio M series TV, and upgraded to the pan/swivel and to the extended wall mount brackets to make sure I caught all the necessary studs in the wall. The mounting was mostly uneventful... measure twice, cut once! The mount's build is quite robust, although quite floppy when unloaded and you're trying to mount it. Once up, and the TV hung, I adjusted the preload in the pneumatic cylinders. Now that it's up, my wife and father-in-law have tried the up and down motion without issues. It works great, serves its purpose, and all are satisfied. Would I recommend it? YES. Is it expensive? YES. Is it cheaper than remodeling a fireplace to lower a mantle? Absolutely YES! So, in the end, it's a good purchase, and one I've passed on to a few friends with the "too high TV mounting" issue. Thanks Dynamic Mounting!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

That's a great idea and product!. It is a great solution to the fireplace issues so many face. In my opinion, a monitor should be positioned so that the middle of the screen is at eye level or a tad above it. Above fireplace monitors are a serious and uncomfortable compromise to the proper viewing experience. This seems to solve that issue........so long as the fireplace is not lite !!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by madmac
      .......so long as the fireplace is not lite !!
      ... and there's the issue. As it is, above a fireplace is functionally one of the WORST places you could put a display. In addition to the high viewing angle, you're putting an electronics device directly over a heat source, and literally cooking your gear. Being able to slide the TV down is nice, but regardless of position, and whether the TV's on or off, anytime you use your fireplace, you're just destroying the TV.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
        ... and there's the issue. As it is, above a fireplace is functionally one of the WORST places you could put a display. In addition to the high viewing angle, you're putting an electronics device directly over a heat source, and literally cooking your gear. Being able to slide the TV down is nice, but regardless of position, and whether the TV's on or off, anytime you use your fireplace, you're just destroying the TV.
        Absolutely in agreement Chris!.......and........I tell everyone that mounts their displays above a fireplace how bad it is for the electronics......dust.....soot.......cough....coug h.....hack....hack!!!. POOF!!!.....Hey, what happened to my TV???.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• boarder1995
          • Sep 2009

All very valid points on heat, soot, etc. dangers. This is in Houston, so we don't use fireplaces ever. For some reason every house I've visited in Houston has a fireplace, whereas other locations up north my friends tell me they're an additional cost option many times.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

The living room in my new house is set up like this also, nowhere to put the TV but above the fireplace. Worse than that, I have no idea where to put the cable box or DVDp.
            Danish

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"