X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

New LED TV...recommendations? (~$1500)

Hello. I live in canada and am looking to possibly upgrade from my 2008 42" sharp CCFL LCD tv. I'm wondering if any/all name brand LEDs would be an upgrade, and what models you would recommend? I'm looking to spend up to about $1500, but less would be better obviously. Size wise I'd like between 55" to 60". I was considering samsung's ES6100 series, but apparently viewing angle is extremely poor on that one? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'm not up to speed on current LED TV technology, unfortunately. It's been a few years since I've bought a TV myself. But I will say that I have bought multiple Samsung LCD flatscreens over the years, and they have really impressed me with their quality. Some TV's out there are hit and miss, but if I were buying another one today, I wouldn't have any hesitation to buy a Samsung of any technology, just based on their tradition reputation.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I'm not up to speed either, but I have 4 Samsung LCD's in the house, and I probably wouldn't recommend them. The PSU died on my 55" after only 3 years, and I really only give it light use. I opened it up to find the exploding capacitor problem (under-rated components). Everything is obviously built to a price, but I expected a $3k TV to last longer than 3 years. However, with the way technology is moving these days, after 3 years its obsolete anyway. I read yesterday, the first 4K sets will be appearing in 2013.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• krips
        • Sep 2007

I suppose I could wait until 2014, by which point we will hopefully be moved into a new house, then buy a TV set. By that point I should be able to get a 4K with 5 or 6 HDMIs of over 60" for under $2000 I would hope. Right now if I get a 60" it would literally take up the whole wall that's it on in my man cave ops:
        Sharp LC-42D64U
        TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

If you can, I would wait until the very last moment and then buy. That's what I have been doing for the past 3 or 4 years. I have a 32" Samsung that I've moved out from the bedroom to the living room. This Samsung has developed some banding issues, I can tell that some of the colour is not right at certain spots. It is still viewable but not the best.

I went with a 42" LG in the bedroom. Got it at Costco, just for the easy exchange. It is the 42LM3400.

I went with a LG this time as I have heard various unhappy Samsung consumers. I expected my set to last a few more years.

Previously I was looking at the 6000 series as well and even looking for the 7000 series in the Samsung.

Now I am considering the LG 55" 6400 series or the 7600 series. From the performance of the lower end LG, I think I would be happy with the bigger LG sets.

One thing I wish I paid a bit more attention to were the inputs. I could use more HDMI inputs as well as a PC input. I know the larger sets all have the required inputs.

I don't know if you could get the 4K sets in a 60" for under $2k, there's hoping, but we know for sure the price will drop.

FYI, I had been living with a 20" CRT in the living room for about 3 years. So my move to a 32" seems large. I am looking forward to moving up to a 55", but might make do with a 47" in the right series.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• krips
            • Sep 2007

looking at this sharp 60". It's $1200ish many places this week...
            Sharp LC-42D64U
            TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

I've been living with a 60 incher for a few years now and all I can say is that I could not go smaller. 60" ROCKS !!!. Do it!!. You will not regret it!!
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Personally I wouldn't bother with LED unless you can afford one of the full field, addressable back-light units. The edge-lit ones are crap IMO.
                Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by krips
                  http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...cebed129c2en02
                  looking at this sharp 60". It's $1200ish many places this week...
                  So did you get the 60"?

It seems like this year a lot of people in my circle bought TV's. Mostly in the 50" range and most at the low end of the scale. To be honest these entry level edge lit LED sets look pretty darn good! Granted one was being fed basic cable so that picture looked like crap.

But send in a good signal, BR or HD and wow the pictures looks great!

My 42" basic model continues to amaze me with it's picture quality. I got a new 3D BR player and the first viewing was very disappointing. I only just discovered there is a setting for the size of TV and it had been set to 47". I am hoping that is the problem and will view again.

I'm going to wait until later this year to see what options are out there in a 55" set.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"