X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Impressed by LED display picture quality

I was recently as a local electronics store and when passing by the big screen TVs one of them really struck me as having a superior looking picture.
    Upon closer inspection it ended up being a Samsung 55" LED display.

I had recently bought a new MacBook which comes with a LED display, but I was surprised at the shadow detail and very deep blacks with this LED display, especially since it was priced under $2500. :T

Usually when a new display technology comes out with a visibly better looking picture, the cost starts out sky-high, and then drops down to normal consumer prices after a few years.

The display did have some more scaling artifacts when compared to the nearby 1080p 55" Plasma display, but they were minimal compared to the striking contrast improvement. :E And this was with a HD recorded loop which already had a fair amount of motion/compression artifacts.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you had also checked out the new run of LED displays, and what your impressions were. 8)
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well last year the 55" LED unit was not 2500 It was something like 4k I believe.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

I think Panasonic's plasmas are still better priced for what you get, but the LEDs have come down a lot lately.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

So far, I have liked what I've seen with LED. I think it's kind of where LCD was about 4 years ago, where it was still a budding format with a lot of promise. I think LED can go far if developed and implemented correctly.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

The LED displays I've seen look incredibly sharp clear and crisp. The black levels have been very good but as you say still not on par with plasma. But plasma has it's problems as well. Where the heck is that SED :B

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
            Well last year the 55" LED unit was not 2500 It was something like 4k I believe.
            I think it was actually like $6k 8O

Good to see prices coming down. Here's hoping in the next couple years I can get a nice 1080p 32" LED unit to double duty as my computer monitor/living room TV at a reasonable price :T

I'd have to agree though a Panny plasma would still be at the top of my list in that price and size range though.
            Jason

Comment

• 1oldguy
              • Dec 2008

Well the Sony is now 5 Grand Canadian.It started out at 7.
              Problem is it's only 54.5 inches.But I hear Sony has a 65 in the works.
              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"