X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Perf Screen Viewing Distance?

Hello again, just me...
    I am considering a perforated screen and my main viewing area will be about 12 feet from the 100-110 inch screen. Anyone familiar with perf screens know if at this distance I will see the perf holes? I am sure all screens are different, but does anyone have any personal experience with their own perf screen? Did it give you more of a sense that the center channel was centered and not below or above the screen. I realize that with properly postioned and matched speakers that the sound should appear to come from the screen but does a perforated screen only make that better? thanks
    Roly
  • draganm
    • Jul 2005

I have not seen one in a private HT, but at the local cinema I can see the perfs no matter where I sit. If you run a 16:9 or 1.85:1 widescreen there is really no reason to run a perf. I have my center just below my 4 foot tall screen and the mains to either side, the entire sound stage is seamless. speakers need space all around them, out away from the wall at least 3 feet, and un-enequal distance from back and side walls to avoid cancelations. By putting a good quality loudspeaker next to, inside of, or behind anything your really killing it's accoustic ability. I found this out in my first set-up after getting rid of an oak wall unit,afterwards it was like listening to a totally different system even though the gear had not changed. The ONLY reason I can think to go perf is for a very narrow room, 7 foot screen and 8 foot wide theatre. even then I would probably stick the speakers just under the screen, not behind it.

Comment

• draganm
      • Jul 2005

here's a pic, I also use DIY bass-traps in the front corners and accoustic panels at the first reflection point, that's at least half the sound quality IMO.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rolyasm
        • Dec 2004

DraganM,
        I may be installing JBL pro speakers into the wall, so I won't have to worry about having the speakers away from the wall. However, if I find out that 12" is too close for a perf. distance, then I might change my whole system to towers, etc.
        Roly

Comment

• draganm
          • Jul 2005

well I can understand the appeal of an in-wall speaker, very neat and tidy look. Really cleans up the rooms appearance for when the guests walk in and some of them don't sound half-bad. I would think this to be especially important in rooms that aren't dedictaed HT's , ones that maybe double as sports bars for football games with rowdy fans staggering around. Heck, if I was filthy rich I would do 3 rooms, dedictaed audio, dedicated theatre, and a 3rd with a DLP-sports-bar, pool table set-up. Unfortunately, I could only do one room and chose the first 2 as my priorities and had to make 1 or 2 compromises even to do that.Good luck with your screen hunt, I would call the local specialty shops and see if they have one hanging in a demo room?

Comment

• Rolyasm
            • Dec 2004

thanks. I did the same. I can't find any perf screens to demo... so here I am. thank for the help.
            Roly

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

I've had two perforated screens so far. Both 180" 16:9 format.
              My first was a DaLite Audiovision, and my current screen is a Stewart Grayhawk Microperf.
              The DaLite was less expensive, and you could see the perforations more easily than the Microperf. I had initially been concerned with the screen moving because the speakers were so close, and I was concerned that the perforated screen would mute the high frequency audio. But neither of those concerns were problems in real life, and the picture and sound is great.

You do lose some brightness compared to a standard gain screen, and my gray perforated screen has a 0.85 gain. It's not a problem for me, even with a big screen and not a super-bright projector. But I have good room light control.
              One other point is that I needed to cover the back (white) wall behind the screen with black flocking material, because bright images like white titles can be seen right through the screen on the wall.

When my setup was in a dedicated theater, my closest seating was only about 8' away, and you could see the perforations on bright scenes, but otherwise it was fine. And certainly farther back the perforations are not really visible. 12' back should be good.

The only trick is that certain perforated screen patterns will interact with certain projector resolutions within a image size range and produce a moire pattern.
              I could see it on both my perforated screens, and with various LCD, DLP, and LCOS projectors that I owned. LCD has a more visible pixel gap compared to DLP and LCOS so it was most pronounced with that projector. And defocusing/anamorphic lenses help with this issue. But to be clear this moire pattern was only within a fixed range of image/screen size.

My 180" screen with a full projected image didn't have the issue, and now I am projecting about a 120" image on my screen, watching from about 9' away in the room that I've setup in this temp HT room while my new house gets built, and it's fine.

I put all three of my front speakers behind the screen and easily the best part of having a perforated screen is hearing the center channel dialog (and for me all of the front audio) actually coming right from the matching image up on the screen. Just like the real movie theaters. :T

As far as demoing screens goes, you can usually have the screen manufacturer send you an 8" X 11" sample of the fabric, which you can put up on the wall with a projected image (from your projector) that matches your planned screen size and compare the picture quality of different materials.

I'm very happy having lived with a perforated screen for several years now, but the much higher cost, slight light loss, and potential moire issues make it a choice that only a few people make. 8)

-Dean.

Comment

• draganm
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dean McManis
                I put all three of my front speakers behind the screen and easily the best part of having a perforated screen is hearing the center channel dialog (and for me all of the front audio) actually coming right from the matching image up on the screen. Just like the real movie theaters. :T
                I'm very happy having lived with a perforated screen for several years now, but the much higher cost, slight light loss, and potential moire issues make it a choice that only a few people make. 8)
                -Dean.
                I think it's more than the issues you mentioned. While a room that's strictly HT with speakers behind a screen is fine, it will really ruin the ability to reproduce 2 channel music. The speakers I have heard behind a screen sounded flat. Although most (not all) of the frequency range was there the stereo imaging (illusion of depth and space) is gone. BTW, my dialogue comes direcltly from the screen as well, and also from beyond it depending on how the soundtrack was mixed. A lot of things happening in a movie are heard off-screen. It's nice to have speakers that can place a sound precisely in the front-right corner of the room where there is no speaker.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

Thanks for all the help. Dean, you must be a front-row-joe. 120" at 9' away, whew. What kind of speakers are you using. Did you, like Dragan, notice any difference is tone or frequency with your speakers. I know some speakers can even sound different with their screens off. I wonder about the sound from the perf screen. I have heard many systems that don't project sound to the right places and it was terrible. Too easy to locate the speaker placement. I really can go either way, but it seems you would get the best imaging, or whatever it is called, by having your speakers directly behind the screen. Also, the neat and tidy look can be cool. Keeps my kids from sticking a pencil through the driver.
                  Roly

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I use a 119" Dalite perforated screen. LOVE it. Really helps with the sound imaging, as my center channel is right in the middle of the screen. All 3 front speakers and 2 subwoofers are hidden behind the screen, giving the room a VERY clean look. (surrounds are hidden in columns, too)

I think my seating distance is like 11' if I remember right for the first row. I can't really see the individual holes, but I do see a very slight "greying" of the screen if that makes sense from the holes. Can't see anything from the 2nd row of seating, but of course the screen is much smaller from back there.

Have had zero problems with moir patterns or sound degradation. Light loss is easily controllable, even with that large a screen. (I use a 720p LCD projector, the Panasonic AE700)
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
                      • Dec 2004

Hey Chris,
                      Have you tried anything to reduce the "greying"? Someone mentioned making the entire wall behind the screen black. Have you already done this? Also, you mind me asking what you paid for the screen? Any others you would consider?
                      Thanks
                      Roly

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Hey, Roly, yeah, when I built the room I made everything behind the screen black. The carpet is black, I covered all the walls and ceiling with black Linacoustic insulation for sound treatment, my speakers are black, the SVS subs are black with black felt wrapped around them, and I spraypainted everything else flat black like the chains I have hanging my center channel speaker.

The only effect I have of light reflecting back from behind the screen is that the Klipsch speakers are a black wooden finish, not flat black. So every once in a while I do catch a dull reflection. Ideally, I should paint them all flat black or cover the boxes with black felt.

I would consider microperfs only from the "big three" in home theater screens--Da-Lite, Stewart, and Carada. I don't even know if Carada makes one. Like Dean said, I think the Stewart one has smaller holes which would help. I don't have any satisfaction problems with the Da-Lite; I should just back up the front row by about a foot to make the setup ideal. I should also mention that I have above average vision, 20/12, I'm a pilot.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Oh, and as far as cost, I think the Da-Lite microperf in my size goes for $1900 or something. Stewart would be higher than that. The extra cost is probably the biggest downside with microperf.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dannyh
                            • Dec 2005

Audio Questions

I am SO happy to find this forum!!!
                            I am building a HT in my formal living room so I need to hide just about everything. I will have a Panasonic AE900 projecting on a 120 inch 16x9 transparently acoustic screen. The screen will be permanently mounted on the wall and be concealed by drapes when not in use. I will be using in-wall speakers except for the sub. I have been looking at the Jamo in-walls for use behind the screen (Rear SU631K4, Center 626K4, Front 892A). Does anyone know about these?

Chris and Dean can you go into some detail about what speakers are you using / how you have them configured and how do you like them?

Thank you SOOO much in advance.

Comment

• Snap
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2005

MY Ideas

Originally posted by Dannyh
                              I have been looking at the Jamo in-walls for use behind the screen (Rear SU631K4, Center 626K4, Front 892A). Does anyone know about these?

Thank you SOOO much in advance.
                              Jamo makes awesome speakers. I have used the A340 and the 660A2. The 660A2 being the in wall speakers.

IDEA : You are running everything the K series why would you have your front to mains the A series??? If you have to go with 8 inch drivers I would keep the K series going and go with 883K4 for your fronts instead of the 892A.

Now I understand that they are double the price...but here is what I think you should do. Keep your fronts the K series... and down grade your rears to the A series. That way you are in the same money range but the front is matched better. All 3 fronts will be K series.

Over all very nice set up it sounds like you will have lots of good times with that!

Blessed,
                              Snap
                              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Hey, Danny, welcome to the Guide! :banana: Snappy Snap has good info about your speakers specifically.

For me, I built a false screen wall that is about 2 feet out from my actual theater wall. Around the perforated screen, the rest of the wall is covered by acoustically transparent fabric from Guilford of Maine. (like speaker cloth) So it looks like a real wall, but all my 3 front speakers and 2 subwoofers (all full-size) are hidden behind it.

You can look at some pictures of my theater in progress to see what I'm talking about.(CLICK HERE)
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                  • Dec 2004

Hey Danny,
                                  Thanks for hijiacking my thread. Just kidding. Welcome. I can get dealer prices on the Jamo speakers if that is what you decide on. I will send you a private message with pricing. The speakers are brand new, full warranty.
                                  Chris, thanks for the info. I checked out your theater. Very Nice! Gives me some new ideas for my own setup. What type of pilot are you. Joke: What seperates 2 drunks from 5 nymphomaniacs???

the cabin door. ha
                                  Thanks all
                                  roly

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

:rofl: Oh, my gosh. That's really, really hilarious.

I'm an Air Force C-17 pilot, so no nympho flight attendants on my plane.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                      • Dec 2004

....to bad huh

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by draganm
                                        I think it's more than the issues you mentioned. While a room that's strictly HT with speakers behind a screen is fine, it will really ruin the ability to reproduce 2 channel music. The speakers I have heard behind a screen sounded flat. Although most (not all) of the frequency range was there the stereo imaging (illusion of depth and space) is gone. BTW, my dialogue comes direcltly from the screen as well, and also from beyond it depending on how the soundtrack was mixed. A lot of things happening in a movie are heard off-screen. It's nice to have speakers that can place a sound precisely in the front-right corner of the room where there is no speaker.
                                        DraganM-

I couldn't disagree with what you're posting here more...Couple of things that need to get mentioned...

A) ALL Films with the exception of Direct to video are mixed using a perf'd screen. They all have an XCurve EQ applied to them, and thus are bright. IF you are suggesting that a flat frequency response is superior to a perf'd screen, then you would be incorrect; the screen actually has a function.

B) same said Films are Almost never Re-EQ'd or Mastered for DVD Release. There are some exceptions to this rule, but almost never. I know this for a fact, given that I worked for Technicolor Sound Services for almost 10 years, and never once did we re-eq a master track. ALL of our open face speakers we EQ'd with an XCurve to simulate the screen.

C) If your room has Freq response issues, then moving a speaker irregular distances form the wall is not the fix. Fixing the Room acoustics is.

D) If there is an imaging issue or "flatness" when using spekaers behind a screen, it is not because it is an inferior method; rather it is the wrong choice of speaker.

E)If one wants to use the same speakers for Music and HT Repro, then I suggest a switchable X-Curve EQ. A great example would be the Ashly Protea 4.24G or 4.24P.

F) Imaging problems are not caused by Freq.response, rather by Delay and Timing. That is a crucial difference, in that in Film Dubbing, soeakers are not "toed" in, they are straight. Same in a movie theater. Music reproduction has them toed, so the sweet spot is much smaller and more defined.

Sorry man, I'm not trying to beat you up, i just to give some perspective of someone who is in the biz'.

To answer the original post-

I have a Da-Lite screen that I view from 12'. I am not cognizant of the perfs. I can see them at about 10'. It'll also depend on your projector. If you can swing the dough, look into screen research, they are awesome.

-Todd A.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                          • Aug 2004

Todd, good to see you're still around.....how is the new setup treating you? Anymore pics? Thanks for the info too, nothing is better than information straight from someone in the "know."

Comment

• ekkoville
                                            • Aug 2004

Since I am here Todd, what is the spacing between your front three speakers and do you find the soundstage to be wide enough or narrow enough, depending on how you look at it?

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                              • Apr 2005

Hi Ekk-

Man, I've just been insane for the last 3 month...I left Technicolor to go to work for a small independant, and we were absolutely swamped!!! I mixed a bunch of foriegn versions of "Corpse Bride" and "Harry Potter" total of 10 Film Dubbs in 8 weeks!!!!!

To answer your question, yes, I have now completed my room. I give it a 7/10. The low end is problematic because of my small space, so I had to put some bass traps in and EQ the bottom, which I try not to do unless absolutely necessary. The M&Ks proved to be very trickey and difficult to get right- I had to get a RTA w/ a Shoepps mic before I realized what was going on. The Bass management of the M&K's (LFE-5) was causing a hole in the bass response at 100Hz, because I was adjusting by ear, not realizing there was a buildup happening right at that specific freq. It was weird that it was right in that region and not over say the lower octave. So I would adjust the Bass Level higher, but then hate dialog because it was too chesty and lost definition, I would lower it and SFX had no punch. What i finally had to do was adjust the LFE-5 until the hole was gone, then use the Ashly Protea EQ's i have to the flatten the overall room down. Has worked pretty well. It now translates well, which is what I am always looking for. I am mixing a short film "becoming bardo", which will be a great acid test. As for soundstage, I definitely like it. My spacing is About 3 feet, here's a pic-

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                • Aug 2004

Sounds great, that does sound like some tricky work you had to do there...

Comment

• draganm
                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ToddAnisman
                                                  DraganM-

I couldn't disagree with what you're posting here more...Couple of things that need to get mentioned...
                                                  -Todd A.
                                                  well I can't comment on how it's mixed for theatre, and since it's your job your job I'm sure your right. The only thing I have to go on is what I have been hearing and I've been in this hobby for 13 years. My approcah has been to get the best possible performance using a simply 2 channel set-up w/ analog source. This is the hardest thing to accomplish, if yuo can create the illuison of a true soundstage such as you might hear in a small jazz club with only 2 speakers then yuo really have something. The other 3 speakers in a 5.1 config. will fall right into place when you switch to DD.
                                                  I have heard quite a few set-ups in various places with the speakers behind a screen. It was never a satisfying experience. Some of the problems are not so much with clarity but with exagerated vocals also refrered to as "shout" , compressed bass response with a hole in the midrange, and a boomy lower bass from standing waves behind the screen cavity . Often, the solutiuon to some of these problems is to cut off the frequency range to the centers and mains so that they do not produce the full range i.ei scrub off the lower bass response with the rational that the sub will handle it. This gives what I refer to typically as the classic commercial theatre sound. Exagerated highs and boomy bass, no warmth or fullness in the midrange and an overall fatigueing experience on the ears.
                                                  My approach is a lot different, well placed speakers with room to breathe, accousitc panels and traps to correct room anamolies, and a full frequency signal to all 5 speakers, sub turned all the way down to 50Hz cut-off to avoid cancelations with the mains.
                                                  The overall sound is smooth, rich, and seamless. If I led you blindfolded into the room and sat you down you would not be able point accurately to any individual speakers location. In contrast to a typical set-up, where 5 point sources are blaring out into the room.
                                                  now this could be just my imagination, but as I've stated before I do a lot of demo's for people to show them what CRT projection can do. I have yet to do one where someone wasn't as equally surprised by the sound quality as the pic.
                                                  This isn't to say that a set-up with hidden speakers can't produce what most people would consider good to excellent sound. It's just that after so many years I have gotten used to a certian type of sound from a nice turntable, high quality crtridge, and a pristine vinly record that really puts you into a high quality recording studeo like Abbey road with the artist on the day the track was cut. It's hard to settle for a commercial theatre sound after listening to that.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                    • Apr 2005

well I can't comment on how it's mixed for theatre, and since it's your job your job I'm sure your right. The only thing I have to go on is what I have been hearing and I've been in this hobby for 13 years. My approcah has been to get the best possible performance using a simply 2 channel set-up w/ analog source. This is the hardest thing to accomplish, if yuo can create the illuison of a true soundstage such as you might hear in a small jazz club with only 2 speakers then yuo really have something. The other 3 speakers in a 5.1 config. will fall right into place when you switch to DD. .....
                                                    Therre's some truth to what you're posting here, but again you've got some inaccurate information...

A) Theaters are all full-Range in all 5 of the Main channels. There is no Bass re-direction happening there.

B) There is no such thing as a subwoofer in a Film Setup. It's LFE. The difference is that a "Sub" always indicates Bass redirection. There is no Theater that is Dolby Approved that has Bass-Redirection.

C) A good Film Theater setup has much less definition of Point source, so Im surprised you don't like the sound- it actually sounds like you prefer a FIlm-type setup!!

I am sure that your experience has led you to a lot of satisfaction, I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, it's more to the point that a properly setup screen can and will sound great. Your setup is much more custom, and thus becomes much more subjective, whereas a properly setup room that adhere;s to Dolby standards is much more predicatable.

-Todd A.

Comment

• draganm
                                                      • Jul 2005

well you're right , I have grown accustomed to a certain sound. After so many years in a hobby people tend to get very very specific with their likes/dislikes. It's not that I hate the sound of most commercial theatres, or private ones that emulate them,it's just not my preference. Part of the problem for me is horn-tweeters, usually turned up too loud. A rich, warm mid-range is very important to a pleasant listening experience IMO, and one of the qualities that's the first to go in a theatre where asthetics are a primary concern.
                                                      not that I wouldn't mind a room with no speakers and cables on the floor. If I could do a seperate audio room, it would be even more appealing. I would expect something like a Jamo in-wall with high quality drivers to produce a sound well above typical commercial theatre standards. However, I would still not stick them behind the screen

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                        • Apr 2005

You bring up a good point-

I also think Horns are harsh for Music Reproduction. the Pro JBL's ( I mean the reall upper crust) have both in them. It's really interesting. Horns for Film Playback and Tweeters/speakers for Music Repro. I would love to hear a set of these.

I use M&K's, as you can see in the pic. The response is very good, albeit not perfect. I thin that's more a function of the space, which is extremely poor. However, I can mix in there with resonable accuracy, and Films Kick serious butt. I love the M&K's because the sweet spot is wide, and smooth, and they tend to be a bit Top-Endy, which is smoothed out by the screen. I also am using Ashly ProTea 4.24G/GS EQ's to correct some stuff. Imaging on those guys is very accurate, especially in 2 Channel mode. The only thing I wish was that they were true Full Range. That's the reason I left so much space in the soffit, so I could go to another speaker if I wanted and get Rid of Bass management. Im not quite sold, even thought i really like the sound in there. Time will tell.

-Todd A.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                                          • Dec 2004

Todd,
                                                          I think either I will be using the Tannoys in wall http://avalive.com/products/pdetail.php?pid=66434
                                                          or something along the lines of Energy Veritas. My concern is that I don't have near the knowledge that you appear to have on fixing problems within the system. It sounds like you went through a lot of trouble shooting to solve the "hole" problem and I am not sure I would have the knowledge, or equipment to fix such an issue. So... my question is this. Will I probably have more issues with my system using a perf screen? Is it definitely going to require more customizing if I use the perf screen? Thanks for the input.
                                                          Roly

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rolyasm
                                                            Todd,
                                                            I think either I will be using the Tannoys in wall http://avalive.com/products/pdetail.php?pid=66434
                                                            or something along the lines of Energy Veritas. My concern is that I don't have near the knowledge that you appear to have on fixing problems within the system. It sounds like you went through a lot of trouble shooting to solve the "hole" problem and I am not sure I would have the knowledge, or equipment to fix such an issue. So... my question is this. Will I probably have more issues with my system using a perf screen? Is it definitely going to require more customizing if I use the perf screen? Thanks for the input.
                                                            Roly
                                                            That's a damn good question. I'd have to say yes. I believe very strongly that a perf'd screen always should have a set of EQ's on them to help alleviate some of the peaks and valleys that will occur. I' am not talking about drastic stuff, but it's there. I *think* the tannoys might not be a good choice here. I used to mix on a set of the Dual Concentric tannoys are the sweet spot is extremely narrow- not what you want for a Film or TV Room. However, since I haven't heard these, it may be completely different. Tannoy IS a great manufacturer. Veritas I can't speak for, never heard them....

One of the critical things to mounting speakers in-wall is that most walls are not nearly stiff Enough. Whan I build a front wall, Generally I'm talking about seriously reinforced 2x6 Construction w/ Lots of layering. when you hit the wall it should just go "Thump" w/ no resonance, vibration, or overtones. Just a dull, flat, and very short Thump. I fyou can accomplish that to some degree, you will have better success.

-Todd A.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Well, stiffness, Todd, but also what is in the wall cavity itself. If it's a huge hollow cavity, you've got a drum that more often than not affects the speaker negatively. But if you've got insulation in there, sound blocking, Acoustiblok, etc, it's a different story.
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rolyasm
                                                                • Dec 2004

The Tannoys come in a pre-made box from Tannoy. This link shows them. http://avalive.com/products/pdetail.php?pid=66434
                                                                I actually heard the speakers in a theater the other day. It is a long story. Anyway, they sounded nice and LOUD. Wasn't a perf screen and the center was below the screen. I could tell where the speakers where. Definitely a down side. But a lot of power behind them. Not sure how to explain, but now when I listen to any other tower system, they just seem so small, not as "in-your-face." Perhaps it was just a higher SPL I was listening to. Very intense. When you say the sweet spot is very narrow, do you mean that many of the listeners in the room will not have near the sound quality as me in my Captains Chair? Last question. Is the EQ something that a novice might be able to do? What kind of cost am I looking at? I am getting a Behringer 2500 for my sub system. Could it be used somehow?
                                                                Roly

Comment

• draganm
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ToddAnisman
                                                                  That's a damn good question. I'd have to say yes. I believe very strongly that a perf'd screen always should have a set of EQ's on them to help alleviate some of the peaks and valleys that will occur. I' am not talking about drastic stuff, but it's there. -Todd A.
                                                                  hmmm,In-wall speakers not quite the home theatre Utopia we were led to believe earlier in the thread. I think it can be done with a minimal sacrifice in sound quality, but like Todd pointed out you would have to construct the wall very carefully. Not only 2X6 construction but braced laterally and insualted to hell -n-back. Also 2 layers of .5" sheetrock and accoustic panels to either side of the screen and speakers as well. This will eliminate most of your resonance and primary reflection off the screen wall. Still, It would not be equal to a well engineered free standing speaker in the $2K pair and up range for ultimate accuracy, timbre, and imaging.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                    Well, stiffness, Todd, but also what is in the wall cavity itself. If it's a huge hollow cavity, you've got a drum that more often than not affects the speaker negatively. But if you've got insulation in there, sound blocking, Acoustiblok, etc, it's a different story.
                                                                    Absolutely. I should have clarified what I meant by stiff (get your mind outta the gutter Chris....:-))

I like a product called Thermofiber for interior wallspace. I also like to use a limp mass Vinyl Sound barrier and cross bracing in order to eliminate extraneous Resonance.

-Todd A.
                                                                    Last edited by Chris D; 18 March 2013, 04:38 Monday.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rolyasm
                                                                      The Tannoys come in a pre-made box from Tannoy. This link shows them. http://avalive.com/products/pdetail.php?pid=66434
                                                                      I actually heard the speakers in a theater the other day. It is a long story. Anyway, they sounded nice and LOUD. Wasn't a perf screen and the center was below the screen. I could tell where the speakers where. Definitely a down side. But a lot of power behind them. Not sure how to explain, but now when I listen to any other tower system, they just seem so small, not as "in-your-face." Perhaps it was just a higher SPL I was listening to. Very intense. When you say the sweet spot is very narrow, do you mean that many of the listeners in the room will not have near the sound quality as me in my Captains Chair? Last question. Is the EQ something that a novice might be able to do? What kind of cost am I looking at? I am getting a Behringer 2500 for my sub system. Could it be used somehow?
                                                                      Roly
                                                                      Yes, Do NOT get fooled by louder. If you are demoing systems, insist that they play at the same level, and if the store won't accomadate you, walk out. I carry a Radio Shack SPL meter (Only about $60, get one!!!) when I'm checking that kind of stuff out.

As for EQ and novice....Well yes and no. I don't want to discourage you, but keep in mind that a littel goes a long way. The best thing to do is fix the problem and not EQ. You need a RTA and a very flat Mic to do this, so it's not exactly cheap.

Sweet spot- Yes.

Hope this helps,

-Todd A.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2005

hmmm,In-wall speakers not quite the home theatre Utopia we were led to believe earlier in the thread. I think it can be done with a minimal sacrifice in sound quality, but like Todd pointed out you would have to construct the wall very carefully. Not only 2X6 construction but braced laterally and insualted to hell -n-back. Also 2 layers of .5" sheetrock and accoustic panels to either side of the screen and speakers as well. This will eliminate most of your resonance and primary reflection off the screen wall. Still, It would not be equal to a well engineered free standing speaker in the $2K pair and up range for ultimate accuracy, timbre, and imaging.
                                                                        Well....I will say this:

Thousands of Records were and are mixed using Soffit mounted speakers as opposed to free stnading speakers. Vincent Van Haff much prefers a soffit mount. Chris Pelonus I think as well. These are serious Room Builders. You're 100% correct in saying that the wall has to be constructed very carefully.

-Todd

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"