X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

projectors and screen recomendations

I am new to the projector seen so I am just looking for input on what to look for when getting a projector and screen.

I currently have a Samsung HLP56-85W

This is a great TV, however, I am in the market for a new house and will be designing a dedicated HT room.

I am looking at the $5k price range for both projector and screen. Canada based also.

Requirments
    1080p
    Not sure if I want speakers shown or behind the screen yet...so transparent screens can be looked at...
    Picture quality is a must...my current tv is amazing on quality right now...im on my 2nd bulb and this thing is like day 1 out of the package...
    Also not sure if I should wall mount or have free floating

CURRENT PROJECTOR CHOICES
    BENQ - W5000 (used $2,000CAD)
    PANASONIC - PT-AE-3000 (used $1,500CAD)
    EPSON - 6500-UB (used $1,500CAD)

Thanks guys..

Equipment running with this

Rotel 1056 (upgrading to Classe SSP-600)
    Rotel 1060 (upgrading to Oppo BDP-83)
    B&W 600 series
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Belkin PF-60
    SVS PC 13 Ultra
    Apple Tv (waiting for DAC Magic to add to this)
    Last edited by Armbender; 25 June 2009, 08:51 Thursday.
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The projectors you listed are all pretty good according to owners comments I've read. But two are LCD and one is DLP. Both have their pros and cons. LCD tends to have color shading issues, especially when viewing black and white movies. DLP gives some people headaches and some see color artifacts due to the spinning color wheel. I own both technologies and prefer DLP for contrast, shadow detail and filmlike look. Another thing to consider with front projectors is placement of the unit in relation to the shape of the room, distance from the screen, etc., as some PJs have a short throw and others a long throw. Projector Central's website has a pretty good listing of just about every available home theater prjector along with a throw distance/screen size calculator.

As far as screens go, I only have experience with fixed units where speakers are placed blow the frame. Some don't like transparent screens because they claim seeing artifacts with certian projectors, but I suppose it depends on the quality of the screen. Carada is a sponsor here and can be very helpful if you tell them what your requirements are.

I don't recommend one brand over another in either PJs or screens. I believe it's all in the eye of the beholder, so get to see a demo if you can.

One thing I will say. Once you get into front projection with at least a 7 foot wide screen, you just can't go back to watching movies on a small tv.

Hope this helps.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

In your budget it'll probably be pretty hard to get an AT screen (audio transparent) at least a good one.

Comment

• Armbender
        • Jul 2005

thanks for the replies...well appreciated..i think i am opting for a fixed wall mount screen anyhow...

i will check out the sponsors screens and look at some decent DLP's...
        Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

You should try and see LCD's and DLP's. Just because one person likes one the best doesn't mean the next person will prefer the same. If you can find a place that allows in home trials that's the absolute best way.

Comment

• Armbender
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
            You should try and see LCD's and DLP's. Just because one person likes one the best doesn't mean the next person will prefer the same. If you can find a place that allows in home trials that's the absolute best way.
            yeah i will def do some comparisons..i run a DLP tv right now that I love...may not transfer the same in relation to the projector though...

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'll put in a vote for the Panasonic PJ. That's what I end up buying every time I buy a new projector. Always #1 on the most popular projectors at Projector Central.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Armbender
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                I'll put in a vote for the Panasonic PJ. That's what I end up buying every time I buy a new projector. Always #1 on the most popular projectors at Projector Central.
                what model would you recomend?

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

The latest PT-AE is always good. I saw that you had listed the PT-AE3000, which is the current king. Would be a good choice!
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Armbender
                    • Jul 2005

awesome thanks..ill have to check those out...would love to get a great projector

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well now is a great time to buy. The prices on these 1080p monsters is amazing. Just a couple years ago you couldn't get 1080p without spending 5k+.

Comment

• Armbender
                        • Jul 2005

Well now is a great time to buy. The prices on these 1080p monsters is amazing. Just a couple years ago you couldn't get 1080p without spending 5k+.
                        i kniow....thats what started to spark my interest...

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                          • Oct 2005

In your budget it'll probably be pretty hard to get an AT screen (audio transparent) at least a good one.
                          You can buy the material and make the frame yourself. I know of one place that sells very good AT screen material (they also sell complete screens) at a great price. They'll even send you a free sample. Not sure if it's OK to post a link though.....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                            Not sure if it's OK to post a link though.....
                            Sorry, no links. We have a screen supplier ( CARADA ) as one of our sponsors who probably offer the same things you mentioned about another mfgr.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

SMX screens are really popular screens over on AVS. the screens are by an enthusiast who felt other brands were lacking. I have no knowledge of price.

I just went through looking at new projectors. I had a 720p. It can be quite confusing deciding which one to choose. It would seem that that everyone really loves the JVC RS10 (and RS20). I don't know how dollars convert for you and am too lazy to look it up. If that is too much, I would recommend looking at the Sony VPL-HW10. It uses LCoS and is not prone to the dust blob issues that effect the Panasonics (or any other LCD).

The Sony is a better projector than the ones you have listed in both black levels, and contrast and will not be as effected by ambient light. The only con (if you can call it that) where one might favor the panasonic over it is that the Panasonic is 2.35 memory, if you want to zoon to 2.35, where the sony cannot. The JVC's rule the roost in shadow detail.

The Panasonic and the Epson will not be as good for games either if you plan on playing games on the system. If you plan on gaming, and the sony is out of your price range, you might want to look at the Sanyo PLV-Z3000. I also believe the Sanyo has the best lens shift. Which means any other projector and you will probably need a bar to lower the projector from the screen, or mount it further back (and possibly lose brightness).

I did not look at DLP projectors, but my list in recommendations would be:

For movies:
                              JVC-RS10
                              Sony VPL-HW10
                              Epson 6500 / Panasonic 3000 - tied
                              Sanyo PLV-Z3000

For games:
                              JVC-RS10
                              Sony VPL-HW10
                              Sanyo PLV-Z3000
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

SMX screens wouldn't meet his budget I don't believe. Even the material is rather expensive. He used to sell it real cheap when he was in his DIY days but I inquired recently about it and it was quite a bit more.

Comment

• Armbender
                                  • Jul 2005

great imformation guys..thanks a lot...goves me stuff to think about and audition now when i start...

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                    Sorry, no links. We have a screen supplier ( CARADA ) as one of our sponsors who probably offer the same things you mentioned about another mfgr.
                                    Yeah, that's what I figured. I did search their site though and couldn't find anything about AT screens. It doesn't appear that they sell them but it may be best just to contact them to know for sure.

Anyway, sorry about the blunder.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by PoorboyMike

Anyway, sorry about the blunder.
                                      No need to apologize. You did the right thing.
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • May 2003

I've owned two accoustically transparent screens (both 180" diag).
                                        The first one I bought the screen material myself with a grommet border, and custom built a frame, but the second one I got as a complete screen.

I don't believe that Carada (our sponsor) makes AT screens, as it's a smaller market.
                                        The two issues with AT screens are moire effects, where the darker pixels gap creates interference patterns at certain distances from the projector, and also some people have noticed sound attenuation of higher frequencies.

For the first issue, it was more of a problem with lower resolution projectors where the pixel gap is more pronounced, and I do not think that it would be an issue with a 1080p projector.

The sound issue is something that I hanven't noticed myself, but my front speakers are ribbon hybrids, which are crisp and bright in the first place, so the audio still sounds great through the AT screen.

I did however have to put black felt on the wall behind my speakers and screen because with the normally white wall you could see things like white titles through the AT holes as a double image. And of course there is some light falloff (gain loss) with an AT screen because of the holes. Plus the AT screens cost more.

There are so many great choices in 1080p projectors these days, that I'm not sure that you could go wrong.

I'm on my 6th DLP projector currently, but I've also owned and enjoyed many LCD and D-ILA/LCOS projectors as well. George's point about defining your needs relative to lens throw capability and screen size is a good one. Meaning that certain projectors have a limit to how close (or how far) that they can be located from your screen (relative to the size that you have chosen) and some work better for ceiling installations, and some lose more light than others if projecting from a farther distance (like the back wall).

Comment

• cdika17
                                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                          SMX screens are really popular screens over on AVS. the screens are by an enthusiast who felt other brands were lacking. I have no knowledge of price.

I just went through looking at new projectors. I had a 720p. It can be quite confusing deciding which one to choose. It would seem that that everyone really loves the JVC RS10 (and RS20). I don't know how dollars convert for you and am too lazy to look it up. If that is too much, I would recommend looking at the Sony VPL-HW10. It uses LCoS and is not prone to the dust blob issues that effect the Panasonics (or any other LCD).

The Sony is a better projector than the ones you have listed in both black levels, and contrast and will not be as effected by ambient light. The only con (if you can call it that) where one might favor the panasonic over it is that the Panasonic is 2.35 memory, if you want to zoon to 2.35, where the sony cannot. The JVC's rule the roost in shadow detail.

The Panasonic and the Epson will not be as good for games either if you plan on playing games on the system. If you plan on gaming, and the sony is out of your price range, you might want to look at the Sanyo PLV-Z3000. I also believe the Sanyo has the best lens shift. Which means any other projector and you will probably need a bar to lower the projector from the screen, or mount it further back (and possibly lose brightness).

I did not look at DLP projectors, but my list in recommendations would be:

For movies:
                                          JVC-RS10
                                          Sony VPL-HW10
                                          Sanyo PLV-Z3000

For games:
                                          JVC-RS10
                                          Sony VPL-HW10
                                          Sanyo PLV-Z3000
                                          Id also recommend the Mitsubishi PJ, HC series, either the 6500 or the monster 7000.

I had great experience with Carada, definetly a top choice.

ALso make sure you research on room treaments and colors, also a big factor in getting the best picture.
                                          Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                                          Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• Armbender
                                            • Jul 2005

this was defiatley the place to ask...thanks again fellas

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by cdika17
                                              Id also recommend the Mitsubishi PJ, HC series, either the 6500 or the monster 7000.

I had great experience with Carada, definetly a top choice.

ALso make sure you research on room treaments and colors, also a big factor in getting the best picture.
                                              The Mits. 6500 has been reported to have excellent detail, but lack in shadow detail and black levels. I do agree that it is worthy of looking at. I attempted to order one, but it was on indefinite backorder at the time.
                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

My last screen in my last house was acoustically transparent, and I really enjoyed it. Made for a really classy looking room, with all speakers and wires completely hidden. Was very nice, and I'd do it again.

My current room doesn't have the setup for hidden speakers. It makes for a brighter image on the screen, but I'd still be willing to do an AT screen at a future point. Makes for better sound imaging, to have the center channel literally dead center behind the screen.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• cdika17
                                                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                  The Mits. 6500 has been reported to have excellent detail, but lack in shadow detail and black levels. I do agree that it is worthy of looking at. I attempted to order one, but it was on indefinite backorder at the time.
                                                  Thats where the 7000 is excells, where the 6500 lacks, terrific shadow detail and one of the best in black levels. Hence why i bought one>
                                                  Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                                                  Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• seattle_ice
                                                    • Jun 2006

I have the EPSON 6500UB with a 110" SeymourAV AT DIY Screen. Their new AT material is 1.2 gain, and I have absolutely no issues with moire. And the total screen cost me ~$350 or so plus a days worth of effort.

My friend has a Panny with a Carada screen. It is a very good setup, and I love the screen, but the epson blows the 2500 away.

I have zero ambient light in my theater, however, and the blacks and shadow details look very good, as I don't need the brightness cranked way up.
                                                    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
                                                    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"