X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Current Projectors vs. 4 yr. old Runco

My 4 year old Runco RS-900 had developed an intermittent picture issue (picture 'reorders the columns' on the right side). Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.

I'm planning to have it diagnosed. But initial research suggests it maybe a video board. As it is out of warranty, that's is an expensive fix.

So I may fix it, or maybe time to consider something new.

I've been looking at current projectors like the Epson 5010 and Panasonic AE7000. I've read how good these projectors are, a significant step forward even in the last year, in terms of price/performance.

My question is how do these models of today stack up to the RS900.
    I always do an ISF calibration on my displays.

I have a dedicated HT Room with very good light control.

Around last Thanksgiving, we replaced a 4 year Sharp Aquos with a new LG. We were pleasantly surprised how improved the picture was (not that Sharp had a poor picture. It was very good).

Any insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by htsteve; 05 April 2012, 08:10 Thursday.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

A 4 year old projector regardless of how high end it is likely won't even hold a candle. Projector technologies have been improving like crazy over the past few years. On top of that you're looking at some of the top performing projectors that are on the market currently! So I'd say you'd notice a large improvement.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

4 years only and moving on???.........sad.......what ever happened to keeping a TV set/monitor for at least 10 years before moving on??. We've all gotta' have deep pockets to be playing this game!!!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

My TV is approaching 15 years old I believe lol. It's an old Mitsubishi CRT RPTV one of the 1080i sets. Great picture but it'll get replaced before too long with a projector more then likely. Or maybe I'll setup a second system with a projector and keep this one for TV.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

That's a real drag to have your projector go out at 4 years. A Runco, it probably cost quite a few coins too. Remember to look at bulb life as well, where your at. That cost should also be configured into the equation. Getting stuff worked on today, not easy probably. With a company like Runco, factory service probably a lot more likely available, even out of warranty.

To bad, it is a wasteful technology age. Example is my new Samsung 59 1080p plasma. I only paid 1K for it, if I get 4 years out of it, would I put 500 in repairs into it? Probably not. I'd just say well I'll put 500 more with it and update technology, and have new. well, given a static price, that may or may not be likely.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
            That's a real drag to have your projector go out at 4 years. A Runco, it probably cost quite a few coins too. Remember to look at bulb life as well, where your at. That cost should also be configured into the equation. Getting stuff worked on today, not easy probably. With a company like Runco, factory service probably a lot more likely available, even out of warranty.

To bad, it is a wasteful technology age. Example is my new Samsung 59 1080p plasma. I only paid 1K for it, if I get 4 years out of it, would I put 500 in repairs into it? Probably not. I'd just say well I'll put 500 more with it and update technology, and have new. well, given a static price, that may or may not be likely.
            Sad......
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

I'll be able to answer my initial question soon. I ordered a Runco LS-3 yesterday. Planned install is next Thursday.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Oh, wow! A new Runco--that would be pretty sweet.

I'm trying to nurse along my Panny PT-AE3000 on the bulb that is sure to die any day now. I keep putting dozens of hours on it, though!
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

It will be interesting to see the LS-3 performs. It's half the cost of the RS-900 I had before.

But I've read and have been told very good things about it.

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

An update:

The projector went in a little over a week ago. Pictures are attached (including one from before for comparison). I also replaced a bookshelf diffusor with a real diffusor (love the results of this).

Very initial observations. This has not been ISF calibrated yet, waiting to burn in the bulb a bit. Comparison is to the RS-900.

* The light output is excellent. The whites pop better than the RS-900.
                    * Black levels and contract are definitely improved. I really like the blacks on the LS-3.
                    * Colors look quite good. I've not really noticed any difference here.
                    * Details/Sharpness - The LS-3 seems to be somewhat less forgiving of lesser sources. Really good sources (like Blu-Ray) look very good. Others less so.

So my initial impression is that this projector, at half the price of the RS-900, offers as good or better performance. Quite nice.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yes, your ship is a transformer! I see you use a flat paint on the ceilng, too.

While my current theater room came with red tones, and I haven't changed it, I do find for my own personal preferences and functional use, that a color scheme more like yours works very well.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Chris,

I did go with flat paint all around. It does scuff up though. If I did it again, I would go one level up in paint, just to make is a bit more livable.

My colors are:

Ceiling: Black
                        Walls: Navy Blue with 15% more black (custom from Lowes).
                        Screen Wall: Dark Grey. I believe is was called Ebony Grey.
                        Carpet: Maroon (kind if like in the old movie houses)

The room is quite dark, and light controlled, with these colors. Even with the lights on, it's not bright in there. I also have I arrived at these colors after some research and talking to my dealer.

I liked the ship. It was better than a bare wall, and it looked nice. But now that a real diffusor is there, I am quite happy with the system performance. Major improvement.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"