• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Samsun projector comparison

I Was on Samsung's site and saw these:

I was a little shocked that spec wise, they don't appear that different, but price wise, ranges from 1800 to 10 and 12K pricing. Where's the justification for 8-10 extra in money? Just curious.

These are all DLP projectors.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Bsically its in the contrast ratios ( and probably color wheel speed ). The cheaper one being around 3,000:1 contrast ratio and the more expensive one at 12,000:1. Also with the high end projector you are paying for a unit that will have a pre-calibrated image pretty darn close to perfection, at least as far as color and color temperature are concerned, and the technical knowledge and participation of video guru Joe Kane.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

They appear to be quite conservative with their CR specs as well. Which is nice to see that they aren't following the crowd and throwing 200,000:1 on the box.

Is the 13k dollar projector single chip DLP? You'd think for that money they could do a 3 chip.....

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

I remember buying my first digital projector (many years ago) for $12K, and then spending another $1000 to have it professionally color calibrated, plus another $800 for a hush box, and $2K more for an external anamorphic lens, and $5K for a HTPC.

Those were the days...And actually I'm VERY glad they are gone. 8)

So even though I can understand someone spending so much for that extra bit of video (or audio) quality improvement, considering how good so many of these projectors are right out of the box (or with minimal tweaking), I'd have a tough time spending more than $2500 for ANY home theater projector today. :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dean McManis
          I'd have a tough time spending more than $2500 for ANY home theater projector today. :T
          Same here, Dean. My last big buy ($3200) was for a BenQ W10000 1080p dlp projector that really had a great picture out of the box, and if I were to replace it today, it would probably be for something well under $3200.

Looking back, though, I paid a horrendous $6K for a Sharp lcd that didn't even have enough pixels to provide a decent picture from a few laserdiscs
          I owned at the time. About a year later I bought Sony's first widescreen projector ( the VPL400Q for $5K ) and I thought I died and went to heaven.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I'm looking at a Panny AE4000U and I don't see anything that's significantly better that I'd be willing to spend more on. At least until LED units get down below the 3500 mark.

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

For me, I stayed with CRT front projectors for years until the first HD digital projectors got good enough and affordable enough to tempt me away. :B

I remember just a couple years ago, when the decent quality 720P projectors started dropping below $2500, I predicted that we would see 1080p projectors hit the same price within 2 years, and they did!
              Now decent 1080p projectors can be found for under $1000, with higher quality ones still under $2500. :T

For me I'm holding out for the next bigger technology jump like LED/laser lighting and perhaps 3D 1080p capability for that relatively low price point, before I upgrade again. 8)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dean McManis

For me I'm holding out for the next bigger technology jump like LED/laser lighting and perhaps 3D 1080p capability for that relatively low price point, before I upgrade again. 8)
                Probably me,too, if i live long enough.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I want real 3D holograms of Princess Leia in my theater.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                    I want real 3D holograms of Princess Leia in my theater.
                    If I can have Christina Hendricks in that fashion in my "man-cave", I'll dip into the home equity line if I have to. :drool: ;x(

Ahem…more seriously, I'm hoping my current PJ will last long enough for LED lighting to be an affordable option.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
                      If I can have Christina Hendricks in that fashion in my "man-cave", I'll dip into the home equity line if I have to. :drool: ;x(
                      Oh, I'm with you there, man. Wow, that would be something. Don't think my wife would appreciate it very much, though. :W
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Appreciate what? Dipping into the home equity line or having Christina in the "holo-deck"? :lol:

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Well, either, but mostly Christina.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Ah yes. But that's what the lock on the man-cave door is for.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"