• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

DLP cinema experience

Hey Guys,

This weekend, while doing some visiting, I took the opportunity to go to my first movie viewed in a digital theater. Interesting experience that I expect most people in the States have already taken in.

There are only three digital DLP theaters in Canada though, so here you might have to do some travelling to take in this experience. The States has quite a few now. Here's a web site that lists all the locations. http://www.dlp.com/dlp_cinema/dlp_ci...ter_search.asp

The movie I saw was the latest Star Wars. Given that most people have seen this film by now and that it was a Sunday afternoon matinee, we had the theater pretty much to ourselves and could take our choice of the perfect location to sit and get the experience that Mr. Lucas intended.....

I have seen quite a few home "single DMD chip with color wheel" DLP projectors and was extremely interested to see what a three chip projector on a 60 foot screen looked like.

My overall assessment would be that it is a very impressive technology on the "big screen" and I would have to give it the nod over film. The first thing that you notice is that there is absolutely no film noise on the screen. It's funny how you notice this so quickly. I guess the mind is so use to a lifetime of watching film in a cinema and you expect to see that film noise. When it isn't there, it takes a little getting used to.

I'm also expecting to see that "softness" of the film image that isn't there in a digital picture, although these projectors have been adapted to give as close to a film like experience as possible. The picture is crystal clear.

The color depth and blacks were excellent I thought. This is usually a weak point of digital projectors, but I saw little evidence of it here.

You really had to look hard to see any pixel evidence. Only when there was a sharp diagonal black on white or white on black image could you see any "jaggies". You had to be concentrating to see it. I was sitting about the middle of the theater, so I can't say what it was like up close. Certainly, the people I was with, who are not HT'ers, would never notice it.

The picture was very bright and I saw no evidence of screen dooring..

Anyway, I give it a thumbs up.
    I wonder if anyone else here has been to see this technology and what their opinion is...

brucek
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I expect most people in the States have already taken in.

I wish. There are no digital cinemas in the U.S.'s 4th largest city! 8O

Thanks for the link to the site. I've subscribed to the newsletter and hope someday to be able to visit one of these cinemas in Houston. The closest to us is in Big Springs, a VERY small town in central Texas, about 150 miles away!?!?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• brucek
      HTG Expert
      • Aug 2000

David,

Yeah, the roll out of these theaters is painfully slow. My drive was about six hours away, but I was making the trip on a visit anyway, so the theater was a sub plot.... :LOL:

They were showing the Matrix movie trailer...should be interesting.

brucek

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Well I don't expect to see digital cinema anytime soon this far east, but I'll say this. After Bruce's post, I am really eager to see digital cinema. This could get me back to "taking in a movie at the local..."

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Eduardo
          Moderator emeritus
          • Jun 2002

:cry: Unfortunately for me there isn't any in North Carolina. I think the closest might be in Virginia. I guess I am going to have to wait.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Eduardo, I feel your pain.

Although, this could be a good HT "road trip". Maybe? Possibly? Hmmm.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Pat
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

I think your expectations that most people in the US have experienced a DLP are a nice thought, but far from reality.

I checked the site you linked to and only 20 of the 50 US states have DLP. I counted 57 theaters in the US and 19 of them were in California. That only leaves 38 theaters for the other 19 states that have DLP 8O

I haven't seen a DLP theater either and don't expect to any time soon. Glad your experience was a good one.

Pat's Page
              Pat's Page

Comment

• brucek
                HTG Expert
                • Aug 2000

Pat,

Yeah, this kinda surprises me. I thought I'd get a bunch of responses from members wondering where I'd been the last two years, and that this digital cinema was just an everyday experience.

I guess I was aiming the comments to the Canadian guys, since I know almost no one has experienced this DLP cinema thing before.
                But you're quite correct, when you break down the locations, it seems that the California guys have the lions share.

Is there no one here that has gone to a digital cinema before? :?:

brucek

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I guess I'm the only other Canadian that's been to the local DLP cinema. I've seen Jurasic Park 3, Monsters Inc., and Episode 2.

My first experience with DLP was Jurassic Park 3. Quite honestly I didn't notice any difference. I didn't think it was as bright.

By far the best showing was Monsters Inc. It was just amazing to see the fur move on Sully's body. Just WoW! I convinced a bunch of friends to go see Monsters as well, and they were simply amazed.

Episode 2 was the same. It looked good, better than JP3, but not as wonderful as Monsters, but I guess I was more disapointed with the sound, or lack of bass.

So in all, the technology is great, but as a HT nut, when the sound isn't there, the whole experience becomes a let down.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I live in the Bay area in Northern CA, and I've never seen Cinema DLP, either, and I'd like to- but it's pretty scarce. I've seen Imax quite a bit, though, and that may cool the gee whiz factor for DLP for me anyway....

-Jon

Earth First!
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Pat
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

If I mentioned DLP Cinema to anyone around here all I'd get would be a blank stare.

Pat's Page
                      Pat's Page

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"