X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

Sony LCD RPTV optical block failure...

I have a four year old Sony KDF-E42A10 rear projection LCD. As you can see in the picture the optical block is failing. There are blue and yellow blobs on my screen. This is a common issue with all of Sony's RP LCD tv's. I contacted Sony and they blew me off. The reapir for this set is $1000+ through a service center. I can send my OB in for repair (about $250-300)but all repairs will fail over time too (Sony has not corrected the defective parts so any "new" parts will fail). From information I've gathered, Sony knew about the problem from the very begining but keep manufacturing and selling the set. There is information all over the web regarding this problem. My TV is getting bad but there are other people who have sets much worse than mine. It's a shame that Sony is not willing to stand behind their product which they knew (from the start?) is a defective design...

[IMG][/IMG]
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

That's a shame. Especially their response. Any chance of a class action suit?
    Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Their early HS10 and HS20 front projectors had the same issues.

Comment

• farazakan
        • Sep 2009

Have you ever had tried to report this matter to Sony directly. I know its a long shot, hope you might get some replacement.

Comment

• kpodolski
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by farazakan
          Have you ever had tried to report this matter to Sony directly. I know its a long shot, hope you might get some replacement.
          I went back and forth with Sony via email and that got nowhere. I'm going to call them and see what they can do for me. There is a link on Facebook with over 700 people with defective sets and the number keeps rising!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1450902238&ref=name#!/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=mf

Comment

• kpodolski
            • Jun 2006

Well, a lot of going back and forth between Sony and myself but we finally came to an agreeable settlement. They sold me a KDL-52EX700 for $600.00. Not bad considering it's a $2000 set. I stinks that I still have to shell out more cash for a four year old defective TV but I just want to move forward and just end this whole fiasco...life is too short.

Comment

• kpodolski
              • Jun 2006

I received an email with the tracking information from Sony. My new set is on the way. :T

It will be interesting to see if the unit makes it here in one piece. Shipping one TV off of a pallet is not the best way to ensure proper delivery. We shall see...

Comment

• kpodolski
                • Jun 2006

Just got my 52EX700 today. Looks really good and I'm very happy with the set. I do have one question though. I have four video sources: Pioneer BDP-51 bluray, an Onkyo DV-SP1000 dvd player, a Panasonic DMR-EZ27 dvd-ram recorder and a Magnovox DVR recorder. I have a Classe processor without HDMI switching so I have all four sources running to a DIGI Media HDMI switcher (4 in 1 out) which in turn is connected to the HDMI 1 on my Sony TV. What is odd, though, is that the Magnavox and the Panasonic recorders pass video to my TV but when I select the Pioneer or the Onkyo on the HDMI switcher the TV says "no signal" detected. I can run a HDMI cable direct from either the Pioneer or the Onkyo to the TV and all is fine. When I hook them back to the switcher no video. Everything worked fine on my old KDF-E42A10 so I'm a tab perplexed. The HDMI switcher is model number HSA-401. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

HDMI can be finicky running at the best of times nevermind running it through intermediate switchers. How many HDMI inputs does the set have? Is it possible to run those two sources directly and use the switch for the ones it passes through?
                  Jason

Comment

• kpodolski
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by aud19
                    HDMI can be finicky running at the best of times nevermind running it through intermediate switchers. How many HDMI inputs does the set have? Is it possible to run those two sources directly and use the switch for the ones it passes through?
                    You're right about HDMI being finicky. I ordered a new HDMI switch from Monoprice. The unit I have is a few years old and I'm thinking that the problem is with the HDCP compliancy. Hopefully this will solve my problem otherwise I'll have to run HDMI cables direct to the TV.

Comment

• kpodolski
                      • Jun 2006

Hooked up my new HDMI switcher from Monoprice and all is good.

I was playing with some of the internet features on the new TV. There are about two dozen different internet sites but my favorite is Video Detective. It's a site that only has movie previews. There is one section that has previews in HD which look incredible.

I also like that I can access files on my computer through the TV. I was viewing my photos from my trip to Ireland a few years ago. Holy crap! The images have much more sharpness and depth then they do on my laptop. It's hard to explain but the images just really "pop" on the TV. So far I'm really digging this new TV. :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"