X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Help with a simple HDTV buying guide

I'm going to be putting on a talk at work on the ins and outs of buying a new TV. I have a lot of stuff in mind already but was curious if anyone here had some ideas for what to talk about. A few things I plan to talk about are (in no particular order):

1. Various store set ups (i.e. some TVs will have a BD player hooked up, others may be running some localized QAM distribution system, etc). Cant always trust the side by side comparison at the store.

2. Default factory settings and how they're usually brighter to draw in customers. Also good places to find non-factory settings that look good.

3. Keep in mind what sources you will be hooking up

4. Keep in mind if you will need a stand/mount of some type and that they will usually add some significant cost.

5. Brief LCD vs Plasma vs DLP

6. Don't buy the cables in store, and will give example online places to buy them.

7. If DLP, get a cheap battery backup for it

8. 1080p vs 720p

I'll keep a running list, if nothing else just to remind myself of what to talk about. Please help me out and add the stuff I'm sure I forgot.
    -Chuck
  • CraigJ
    • Feb 2006

Hi Chuck and others,

I own a 35" tube tv for regular television viewing and use an over the air roof antenna for reception. Sears is currently having a sale on Panasonic 42"($530s) & 50"($750s) plasma 720p televisions. I spent about an hour in store watching over the air content and was somewhat surprised by how many shows are still in standard definition. The main question I have is, will I be disappointed in the quality of over the air tv on either of these models? Seems so much of the broadcast is still sd, with some hi def stuff mixed in. Our movies are mainly watched elsewhere (front projector), so probably won't get blu-ray on this tv. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

This mostly applies to RPTVs, but if getting something that uses a light source measured in hours, get a warranty that covers light source. It will pay for itself in a couple of years.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

since this thread got brought back up, figured I'd show the results I ended up with. keep in mind this was help for a bunch of laypeople at work, and is about six months old so it may be a little out of date now.

-Chuck

Comment

• CraigJ
          • Feb 2006

Thanks Chuck,

I could have started my own thread, but I thought my question fit under your title. I believe my issue with poor picture quality was addressed towards the end of your write up. I'm assuming that what is broadcasted over the air in my area as HDTV has a high percentage of standard definition content; shows do have the black side bars. Unfortunately, standard definition on a 50" tv makes me want to run for my glasses, and I don't wear glasses, yet. The picture shined with blu-ray, but that's not reality in my circumstance.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"