X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

Is too much lens shift bad? Z5 or AX200

A projector is the next toy to be purchased and the tyre kicking has begun. The Sanyo Z5 or Pana PT-AX200E seem to be the best for my budget and expectations. LCDs are the best option for me since I have to use lens shift to shoot between two pendent lights in the centre of the room.

Current arrangement

(Plasma to be wall mounted, centre channel to sit on AV cabinet. Roll down screen from ceiling to come down infront of wall mounted TV)

This begs the question...Is too much lens shift bad? With the Z5 it has a crazy amount of shift, half the screen height above or below the image. The Pana doesn't go to that extreme, but it still can achieve a healthy amount. Left to right shift is good on both also.

With the Z5 I can have the projector mounted directly on the ceiling (high WAF) and it will produce the 92inch desired image. The Pana needs to be about 15 inches from the ceiling (low WAF) to achieve the same result.
    I don't want to be banking on using lens shift if it will result in poor results.

The Z5 is the front runner since it can be mounted on the ceiling, the high WAF factor option.

So is too much lens shift bad?
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

using the extreme setting in one direction diminishes the shift available in the other. Otherwise, if not at the extremes, lens shift should not have any impact on your image quality. My Sony AW15 has both lens shift directions and it was much more pleasant to set up (I don't have mine ceiling mounted and I've rearranged my room a couple of times since I got the PJ) with lens shift. In my particular circumstance, having lens shift was a make or break feature (one reason I did not opt for the lower priced AW10 that lacks lens shift).

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

extremes are never best imo, though perhaps workable from a shift standpoint. I've noticed no degredation from shifting my Z4.
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

By definition, "too much" of anything is bad. However, in moderation, properly implemented lens shift can be a very good thing, allowing use of a projector where it might otherwise not be feasible, with little or no observable image degradation. My Sony projector is a couple of feet off center along the horizontal axis but mid-screen vertically, and it still throws a nearly "perfect" image. If it were centered horizontally, it would be right on my head when I sit in the sweet spot, and I prefer a different style of hat. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Anton
          • Oct 2004

By definition, "too much" of anything is bad
          That is a winning statement. As long as I stay within the perameters of eitherv projector the picture will not be a problem.

The biggest issue now is which projector to buy Z5 or AX200....Alot of members seem to be having the same dilema.
          Canadian heart, Aussie home!

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
            By definition, "too much" of anything is bad. ...
            everything in moderation...even moderation :T

I have cranked my lense shift in all directions... no visable changes in anyway

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"