X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeRocchio
    • Jan 2005

HD80 vs PTAE2000U

The bulb in my 4805 died last night and I think that it's time to step into the HD world.

I have waffled over 720 and 1080 and I think that I have decided to go full boat and do the 1080. Having only had experience with the DLP Infocus, and I'm not sure what the LCD issues might be. When I got the DLP there was lots of discusion about black levels and screen door effect, now everything says the differences aren't that big anymore. Is this true?

I have searched the site and can't find any comments on either of these projectors. If anyone has experience on either projector I would love to hear about it.

Given these 2 projectors are the same price is there a clear reason to choose one over the other?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Frankly, I do feel that LCD has come a long way, perhaps to the point where that contrast and black level difference is now negligible. I do tend to still favor dlp ( my latest upgrade was to a BenQ W10000 1080p dlp) primarily due to the film-like picture it projects as opposed to the more video-like look of lcd. But I still have both technologies in my theater and like to go back and forth every now and then. As far as the projectors you mentioned, what I have read about them is that they are both stellar performers, so I guess it comes down to whether or not you prefer one format over the other.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

If I picked up a projector right now I think it would be a DLP. The LCD's have a lot of high specs but a lot of them use iris's which gives great contrast ratio's but doesn't improve black levels. Although the 1080p units may still have very good black levels? The newer DLP's are just awesome performers though and lately I've been leaning away from LCD's.

Comment

• cadman
        • Sep 2003

JVC DLA-RS1U Projector

If I was getting a new projector for shure I would go for this one
        JVC DLA-RS1U Projector

better than DLP & LCD
        probably the best out there

JVC DLA-RS1U projector specs, projector reviews and current street prices.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Although I haven't observed those two specific models in person, I have owned one of the Panasonic's predecessors, the AE700, and was very happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to go LCD again, myself, and the AE2000 is on my short list for an upcoming 1080p PJ that I need to buy, too.l
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• MikeRocchio
            • Jan 2005

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and picked up the HD-80 last night. We also got a Sony Blue-Ray player I hope that I don't regret that decision, but if I was going to have 1080P I needed to feed it 1080P!

Anyway playing through component last night it has a beautiful image. It actually feels and looks 3D on the screen. I have an HDMI cable on it's way so that we can actually get the full resolution, we can't wait to see that!

I'll keep you informed as we have more time to watch.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Oh, but yes, the JVC is at the top of my list, actually the new RS2. Only problem is that it's a significant jump in price over other 1080p projectors.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

But they get cheaper and cheaper Chris. Just wait it out surely eventually they will give us one right? :B

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Perhaps. SXRD and D-ILA aren't getting cheaper like LCD and DLP, though. The RS2 is even more expensive than the RS1. It's also much better--JVC told me they designed the RS2 to be the high-end model of the two, not replace the RS1.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well I hope the RS1 gets cheaper as I would be extremely happy with that thing

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                      • Jul 2006

Mike,
                      DLPs have the best ANSI contrast of any of the four technologies. To take advantage of this, you need to have a black out theater. If you can't change the color scheme, then Guy Kuo found the greatest effect was blacking out the rear of the theater followed by the sides, ceiling and floor. Guy (I believe) just put up a retractable black velvet curtain on the back wall.

Chris,
                      I think Alan Gouger has said that prices might start to rise. It wouldn't make sense until you put it into a larger context. According to Pete Putnam, RPTVs are rapidly being displaced by flat panels. RPTVs may be off the market in the next two to three years. If RPTVs are no longer being made, then that will have a huge effect on component prices. I am not sure how much FP prices will be effected, but lets hope it isn't to bad. I think the biggest effect will be on R & D. Without RPTVs to recoup R & D expenses, there may be a leveling off of performance.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well actually the RS1 has the best ANSI contrast right now which is HD-ILA which is a form of LCD technology.

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                          • Jul 2006

You are thinking of on/off contrast. DLP leads the pack in ANSI by a wide margin.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Where do you see ANSI contrast ratio's? I can't seem to find this spec for the RS1. And also whats the difference between ANSI and On/Off I know On/Off is like full white and full black the difference between the 2. But I thought the RS1 had a really high ANSI ratio as well.

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                              • Jul 2006

Read this guide for a good primer on video.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

FWIW, I'm on the edge of buying the PTAE-2000 any day now.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Why the PTAE-2000 Chris?

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

(discussion carried over from elsewhere, for the benefit of others)

Well, I use ProjectorCentral.com as a master source of PJ info. Lots of good reviews, data, calculators, comparisons, sales info, etc. The #1 most popular PJ right now is the Panny AE-2000, and it's been getting some great reviews. Although I'd REALLY like the JVC RS-2, it's $8,000 and too much for me. So the Panny is the best projector under $3500. Yes, there are cheaper 1080p models out there, but they have compromises in quality and performance.

I previously used the Panny AE-700, which is a predecessor by several models, and had a good experience with it. Can't wait to try out full 1080p.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                                      • Jul 2006

Chris,
                                      I hope you are not being serious. Projector Central is probably the worst pj review site out there. I have not used there calculators, but I have heard that they can be off. PJC does provide a good resource on current and former pj info. If you are looking for good reviews on pjs, then I would start with Greg Rogers at WSR, Cine4home (unfortunately it takes awhile to translate to English), Jason at AVS, Projectorreviews, and Secrets of Home Theater. Evan needs to increase his credibility by giving some measurement data (along with a list of the equipment he is using) instead of the broad generic statements he generally uses.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Huh... I always think of Secrets as being the DVD player guys, that do some other equipment. Didn't know they do projectors seriously. I'll take a look at those, thanks!
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                                          • Jul 2006

Yeah, Secrets does more than just DVD players.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"